Rubbermaid Stock Tank as a sump?

U

User1

View Badges
Here is mine...

xa7qfb5HSeGhvbJCMN1ORQ.jpg

Looks great.

Mind if I ask how you are managing the water level as it relates to the skimmer? Or is the skimmer sized such that pressure or water height isn't a concern?

I've thought about using one of these a few times now and used regular totes in the past. Easy to drill. Affordable. Etc. I was thinking I could add a sheet of PVC on one end with some plastic screws. Drill in 3 x 1 1/2" bulkheads for my return lines (Bean Animal), and then leave the other side open for skimmer, space, and the other side similar. PVC sheet, 2 x 1" bulkhead, return pump lines. Should make them stable and easy to quick disconnect if I want to clean it out.

Trying to visualize probes, dosing, heater, and trident pull and overall size. I have 54" of width to work with. Stand is 30" tall but I have to be able to get in there as does my 24" tall lifereef skimmer.

Great setup. I have to go read your thread for more ideas. ALso nice photo skills.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see more and more people going this route VERY successfully

U

User1

View Badges
I see more and more people going this route VERY successfully

Yeah, I believe you are right. Some people just have mad skills at the DIY stuff. Me, not so much :) For me it is a lot like cooking. If you lay out the recipe for me I can do it. You give me a sheet of paper and I'll give you a ball of paper...

The 50 gallon is what I'm considering. Seems maybe I should have kept my 40 breeder tank or go pick one up but I like this better. I just need to be able to get things set so they work properly. Also help me get rid of two check valves which I know we are not supposed to be using and maybe quiet down some things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back