Rubble, Rock or NOTHING in the Sump?

Do you prefer rubble rock, larger rocks or no rock in your sump and why?

• Rubble

Votes: 138 36.1%
  • Larger Rock

Votes: 105 27.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 93 24.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 46 12.0%

• Total voters

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collects more detritus too though, but the fluidized sandbed would counter that issue.
I was considering a mesh container of sand also, as this is a bare bottom system for high flow.
I think sand in a sump would be fine with the filters before it. I've had sand in a sump, never cleaned it in 2 years and never had an issue with detritus. Wouldn't a fluidized sand bed break up into tiny particles over time? Not sure if that would be an issue if it did anyway.

OldSchool Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much rock as you can squeeze in there the better! Any size it doesn’t matter.
5303B329-43E5-4992-A00E-B1B3A1C6B276.jpeg

Dannielou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I maintains an average of two pounds of Chaeto in my sump to keep PO4 under control and works great. Rocks are dirty and from past experience with live rock, you do not know what you are going to get. Perhaps clean lava rock may offer a clean experience.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sand in a sump would be fine with the filters before it. I've had sand in a sump, never cleaned it in 2 years and never had an issue with detritus. Wouldn't a fluidized sand bed break up into tiny particles over time? Not sure if that would be an issue if it did anyway.
Yes that is my question too about the fluidized sandbed. Only reason I'm considering adding any sand to the sump is to add live sand, to up my bacterial strain diversity since this system is bare bottom.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting sand in small bucket and no light would allow for some denitrifying bacteria to get going as long as water in sump is not “ through the sand “ and just flows over the top of bucket . Not sure where I read this but seems plausible to me .

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the larger leftover rock from the original build. There’s only four pieces so they’re easy to take out and clean

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting sand in small bucket and no light would allow for some denitrifying bacteria to get going as long as water in sump is not “ through the sand “ and just flows over the top of bucket . Not sure where I read this but seems plausible to me .
My current idea is to use a couple of the black baskets from hm depot we use for nems. Place the sand in them, possibly line them with the mesh used in algae scrubbers if the sand is to fine, then elevate the baskets off the sump floor with pvc this will allow flow all around the sand. Having the baskets after the filter floss pads and skimmer should minimize detritus buildup in it so no need to vacuum it. If anything throw some of the sand snails in each basket to keep it from compacting over time.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok -I have my( bucket o sand) after socks in section where normally a skimmer would be but I pump from there to remote skimmer then back to sump. There’s flow over this bucket but not a lot as that would cause a “sandstorm “ and not allow the denitrifying action I’m after. I have no detritus build up in bucket and sand is not turning to rock so far anyway.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an eshoppes with rubble and a small amount of sand mixed with miracle mud with caulerpa prolifera

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 50 pounds of LR I have kept going in a vat for almost 2 years now. I plan to place that in my sump with a dry rock scape in the DT. Fingers crossed this gives me success of having established rock to offset the downside of dry rock

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mainly have large pieces in my sump. I keep some rubble around for frag plugs, and to seed quarantine tank/hospital tank as well. I keep it for bacterial surface areaand copepod habitat in combination with a refugium. I do need to get some more rock!

Attachments

• 20210728_094602.jpg
    20210728_094602.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210503_105814.jpg
    20210503_105814.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 35

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 30 or so ceramic balls and a couple ceramic plates in my 112 gallon system. Very clean and keeps my nutrients very low. I built couple racks out of acrylic rods to stack them up to the water line in a full wall like An abacus. ThT way water has to flow through them all.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mainly have large pieces in my sump. I keep some rubble around for frag plugs, and to seed quarantine tank/hospital tank as well. I keep it for bacterial surface areaand copepod habitat in combination with a refugium. I do need to get some more rock!
Have you already or do you plan to use dry rock for your DT?

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tall sump (Eshopps) underneath my AIO 50G. It's pretty cramped and not optimally laid out (relatively new in reef keeping) but the refugium is stuffed full of ceramic blocks, rock, and even had ceramic biorings in there for a bit. I have a mandarin dragonet that I have kept happy for a month now and he does not appear to be losing weight. I attribute that to the ample space for pods to thrive. I also dose phyto I grow periodically to keep the pod population higher. I like the idea of a separate area with another ecosystem. I had a slate pencil urchin that did what urchins do, so he was banished down there but there's tons of microfauna and sponges for him to snack on, and I plan on giving him some seaweed from time to time.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back