Ruby longfin fairy wrasse dying?

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a ruby longfin fairy wrasse for about 3 weeks now. Purchased from my LFS and not quarantined. It has been very active and eating voraciously. Nice and fat. A couple day’s ago I noticed it was acting a little strange occasionally. Still eating just staying up against the glass so I thought it saw it’s reflection. Now today it seems to have loss of control swimming, it’s mouth appears to be stuck open, breathing somewhat heavily. It ate food last night but not as crazy as it usually does. This morning ate a small bite but nothing else. It doesn’t have any spots or anything to make me think ich or velvet. All of the other fish in the tank are heathy, look normal, and are eating normal. No one bullies him. Any idea on what’s going wrong?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid breathing can be the first symptom of velvet, sometimes the only clear one. Can you post a video taken under white light? (A YouTube link works best). Also, click on the link below my name for a file that gives some ideas of other information that is helpful to know about your tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Uptowngirl

Uptowngirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble getting a video. If the wrasse has it wouldn’t the other fish have symptoms too, since it was added to the tank 3 weeks ago?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having trouble getting a video. If the wrasse has it wouldn’t the other fish have symptoms too, since it was added to the tank 3 weeks ago?
Yes, if it is velvet, then all of the fish have been exposed, but it will often start with one fish first. I’m not saying it is velvet, just that it is a possibility.
Jay

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder issue due to being collected a little deeper

have the exact same fish, exact same issue, exactly 2-3 weeks after adding to my tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swim bladder issue due to being collected a little deeper

have the exact same fish, exact same issue, exactly 2-3 weeks after adding to my tank
Including the open mouth rapid breathing? That usually isn’t a symptom of hyperbaric trauma.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back