Rudy's 28g JBJ Nano Build Thread

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again @El_Guapo13 Hope you and everyone else had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. I spent it moving in to my new (for me) house. Don't you just love a tank move. I had my EVO on a counter at the old apartment and that wasn't going to work at the new place. So I bought a new stand, called a flipper, 10 g on one end, flip it over and it fits a 20 g. Moved my tank on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately I did not have the stand yet but I had to be out of the apartment by the 27th. Got the tank to the new place and placed it on the counter. I had the rock in a couple of 5 g buckets along with the tank water. Moved everybody back in and it went well. Thought I had everybody placed for temporary and a couple of hours later when I was cleaning some stuff up I found a frag in the sink. It was still wet so I dropped it back in the tank and lo and behold about 36 hours later it started opening up. Small crisis averted. A few pics from that move after everybody settled down, and it only took a day for that to happen.
IMG_7580.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7583.JPG
IMG_7584.JPG
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7591.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7593.JPG
Thanks for the holiday wishes @Wayne Rudolph, and I hope you and your family also had a great Christmas and Happy New Year as well, even if you did have the move to your new place going on simultaneously. The tanks look great and its good you managed to avoid losing that frag, as well as get your zoas happy in your EVO. I am actually planning to start cycling my 10 gallon this weekend so I can have a reed tank in my bedroom, in addition to my 16g bicoube in my living room. So I guess for once I will be starting a build thread lol.

I actually ran into the same issue with having too much flow in my biocube, but instead of unhappy zoas I had unhappy hammers and frogspawn. So I only occasionally run my powerhead now, usually whenever I do a water change to help get rid of all the debris and sand that was stirred up during the process.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't updated in a bit. Stylopora is going downhill, Turbo's keep knocking my speckled blue mushrooms down, guess I'm going to have to glue them. Also here is a shot of my below tank setup. Seems to be working well.
IMG_7614.JPG

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has not completely, but mostly crashed. I have red algae trying to take over, growing over my zoa's. I got rid of the damsels because they attacked anything I put in the tank.

My big mistake though was purchasing a toadstool leather on Ebay. It did not smell real good when I pulled it out of the bag but, dummy me, put it in the tank anyway. My mushrooms started shrinking shortly thereafter. Pulled the leather out, did a 50% water change and nothing has been the same since. I don't have any fish in this tank at the moment. I did drop a bunch of pods in there and am dosing with phyto. We shall see if that helps.

I do have a 28 G JBJ nanocube that is going pretty well. I have a orange spot goby and tiger pistol shrimp pair that are doing wonderfully. I think I need to get a skimmer because I'm have a lot of stringy brown algae/dinos.

I'm planning on a multi hundred gallon tank soon. Finishing up the floor where it is going to go. I have to move the JBJ into the man cave. That's going to be fun.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to give up the Fluval. The JBJ nano is going well. I want a multi-hundred gallon tank but don't think that's going to work for a bit. I have a 90 gallon with a 30 g sump I'm going to look at tomorrow. Only$150 so I may go for it and get good equipment, no skimping. I did put the new AI Prime Reef HD16 light on my JBJ. It is awesome.
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0372.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my R2R Secret Santa Gift today. It's on the tank. You can't tell in the picture but it's a neat thermometer. On a side note, even though I said I was getting a big tank for a bit, I am.

Ordered one of the Cade Pro Reef 1880 S/2. Not sure when it's getting in, but very exited.

I have a build thread for it, Rudy's Cade 1800. Sounds like a good Tequila!

R2R Secret Santa 2020.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I also picked up a mandarin for this tank. Took him a few days to come out. Got some of the big pods from Aquarium Depot and he's been all over them. Pretty cool to watch him, it's like he's stalking the pods, moving slow and watching and then, yummy in his tummy!

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working the JBJ 28. Got my Secret Santa gifts and some new frags from Aquarium Depot and WWC. Here are some new tank pics and one of Garfield, my Orange Spotted Goby. He and Odie, the Tiger Pistol Shrimp, are determined to unsettle my rockwork. Had an earthquake today when I found a Cat's Eye zoa plug that went missing a couple of weeks ago. They were still in good shape but wedged between some rock. So when I took them out, the walls came tumbling down. The brittle star, Patrick, did not like it much. And I got a Dragonet, Mando, and a bunch of pods. Boy that guy can eat. He just does not want to come out for picture time.
IMG_0392.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg

My tank is full. I need that Cade to come in. Enjoy the Holidays everyone.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of the year tank shots. I got this tank in mid July. JBJ Nano off of Craig's list. The Fluval EVO crashed pretty hard. So I picked this up. Been adding to it since I got it. Now running 2 Hydor Coralia circ pumps, AI Prime Reed 16HD, UV, Bubble magus skimmer and a JBJ nano ATO. Livestock includes 2 Ocellaris, 4 Blue Chromis, Mandarin Dragonet, Orange Spotted Goby, Tiger Pistol Shrimp, 2 tiny Sexy Shrimp ( I hope, I see one every few days) Brittle Star as well as a huge Turbo Snail. Corals are softies, Zoas and LPS.
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0473.jpg
Looks pretty good IMHO.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back