OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read your amazon review just last week. Glad your bryopsis is gone. As far as the damsels go, it is possible that there was harassment going on due to the small size and lack of territory. Keep an eye on everyone and if anyone stops eating, you may want to consider a QT. Something like a 5 gallon home depot bucket with a heater, PVC elbow or two and sponge filter will work for short term
Looking at your name, what kind of medic are or were you. Retired Navy Hospital Corpsman here.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your name, what kind of medic are or were you. Retired Navy Hospital Corpsman here.

Thank you for your service brother. I'm an Army medic, 4 years active, the last 11 in the reserves and working at the VA as an ICT (which is a position made specifically for military medics at the VA)

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your service brother. I'm an Army medic, 4 years active, the last 11 in the reserves and working at the VA as an ICT (which is a position made specifically for military medics at the VA)
Thank you for your service as well. I was a Preventive Medicine Technician. After I retired and lost a business or two, decided to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill and finish degree. Now I'm an Industrial Hygienist with the Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center in Portsmouth, VA.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to travel to Jacksonville, FL for three days. Got back and all the fish are looking good, whew... But there is a lot of cyano growing. I'm guessing because I changed the location of my powerhead when I put the media basket in. I've got another powerhead and I ordered a Hydro Wave controller today. Hopefully I can get the right flow going and get rid of this cyano.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some algae going on, normal stuff. However I also have a Naiseruius (sp) snail that has been in the same place, more or less for a week. Not really moving and completely extended. I thought it was dead and pulled him out but detected a little movement and put him back in the tank. I think if he was dead he would have melted by now. Thought?
Naissarius snail.jpg

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns and a goby should be the absolute max for your tank OR 1 damsel. Damsels do not do well in groups in small tanks or do well with other fish in smal tanks sure springeri are more peaceful but I would at least consider pulling one out of there asap.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new corals at WWC Cyber Monday sale here. I'm moving to my new (used) home in about a month. I'm going to move my tank to a shelving unit that's bout 2 foot high. Going to wrap the shelving with a curtain arrangement until I can find a decent stand. I was thinking about making/buying a sump for this tank. Too much for a 13.5 gal tank?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new corals at WWC Cyber Monday sale here. I'm moving to my new (used) home in about a month. I'm going to move my tank to a shelving unit that's bout 2 foot high. Going to wrap the shelving with a curtain arrangement until I can find a decent stand. I was thinking about making/buying a sump for this tank. Too much for a 13.5 gal tank?
I thought I saw you once or twice when I decided to pop in and see what I was missing by sitting out this time. So what corals did you snag?

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an Emerald on Fire zoa for 31, Captain America Paly, Bob Marleys, Radioactive Dragon Eyes and a leather. NOt a bad haul, somehow made it the whole 18 hours. Let's see if I do anything in the drawing....

Bob Marley 25.jpg
Captain America Paly 29.jpg
Emeralds on fire 31.jpg
Fizzy Wizzy Psammocora 5.jpg
Kenya Tree Leather 15.jpg
Pink zoas 2.jpg
radioactive dragoneyes 18.jpg
Red Cap Montipora 5.jpg

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it crazy how much better the corals look with a professional photographer and editing. I have had the WWC's in the tank about a week now. pH was low so am dosing daily with seachem marine buffer 8.3. Things are raising slowly. I was at 7.5 and have gotten up to 7.82 in about 5 days. I will keep after it.

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Secret Santa goodies today. Among them was a Polyp Lab Coral View lens. Very nice. Took a few shots with it an wow! There are things on some of these SPS's that I never noticed before. Very cool. Here are some shot's of my livestock. The ones on the frag rack have only been in the tank a week, they came from WWC Cyber Monday sale.

IMG_7512.JPG IMG_7513.JPG IMG_7515.JPG IMG_7516.JPG IMG_7517.JPG IMG_7519.JPG IMG_7520.JPG IMG_7521.JPG IMG_7522.JPG IMG_7523.JPG IMG_7524.JPG IMG_7526.JPG IMG_7527.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again @El_Guapo13 Hope you and everyone else had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year. I spent it moving in to my new (for me) house. Don't you just love a tank move. I had my EVO on a counter at the old apartment and that wasn't going to work at the new place. So I bought a new stand, called a flipper, 10 g on one end, flip it over and it fits a 20 g. Moved my tank on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately I did not have the stand yet but I had to be out of the apartment by the 27th. Got the tank to the new place and placed it on the counter. I had the rock in a couple of 5 g buckets along with the tank water. Moved everybody back in and it went well. Thought I had everybody placed for temporary and a couple of hours later when I was cleaning some stuff up I found a frag in the sink. It was still wet so I dropped it back in the tank and lo and behold about 36 hours later it started opening up. Small crisis averted. A few pics from that move after everybody settled down, and it only took a day for that to happen.
IMG_7580.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7583.JPG
IMG_7584.JPG
IMG_7587.JPG
IMG_7591.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7593.JPG

OP
OP
Wayne P.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday, day off don't cha know, I decided to move everybody to their final home. Went pretty well. Since this appears to be the last move for this tank I went ahead and mounted my frags. Only frag left in the rack is the favite, cause I'm not really sure what to do with it. It pretty much stays the same, which is good cause I'm not killing it, but bad because, well, it's not doing anything. Here's some shot's of the final set up. Everybody is already happy, except the Emerald's on Fire Zoa's, but they haven't been very happy since I got them. Oh, on a side not, when I moved I took out my powerhead, and all of the zoa's were much happier then. So I guess I had too much flow going on. No powerhead in the tank now. See what happens.
IMG_7598.JPG
IMG_7600.JPG
IMG_7601.JPG
IMG_7602.JPG
IMG_7603.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back