Rudzbrewski's Journey to the Reef-er xl425 (V3 sump, Clarisea, plumbing w/ manifold)

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well @Leiph86 I think we jinxed it. The aggressive removal of the hair/turf algae must have aggravated the Yoda acan echinata because this morning I woke up to what looks like mostly skeleton exposed. Pretty bummed about it since it was my favorite coral in the tank currently. It was really doing well and growing great the last month or so and completely died off in only a few days.

I definitely plan on picking up another one in the near future because I absolutely plan on having all the Yodas in my tank as a Star Wars fan (rainbow yoda zoas, yoda acan echinata, and master yoda acro).
@Rudzbrewski - I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your acan. I'm going through a similar issue due to Dinos on my nano tank and loosing anything is tough from both a personal and cost perspective. It's extremely difficult when starting a new tank with dry rock and balancing proper nutrient levels for your corals while trying to reduce pest organisms.

I think this is where it's important to mention some advice I received years ago - a lot of times when these pests grow its because we don't have enough other biological diversity established to outcompete it (on top of 'fuel' sources). I think this is the biggest challenge when doing a dry rock tank from the start because we have these many hurdles whereas my first tank I used live rock from a LFS (not knowing any better from a cost standpoint or the pests I would be introducing) and never had an algae/diatom/dino issue with hang on equipment and a filter canaster!

And glad to hear you're not going anywhere - it's important to document the good, the bad, and the ugly in this hobby as every time we do someone hopefully learns from us and our successes and mistakes...and I am looking forward to those March purchases!!!

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rudzbrewski - I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your acan. I'm going through a similar issue due to Dinos on my nano tank and loosing anything is tough from both a personal and cost perspective. It's extremely difficult when starting a new tank with dry rock and balancing proper nutrient levels for your corals while trying to reduce pest organisms.

I think this is where it's important to mention some advice I received years ago - a lot of times when these pests grow its because we don't have enough other biological diversity established to outcompete it (on top of 'fuel' sources). I think this is the biggest challenge when doing a dry rock tank from the start because we have these many hurdles whereas my first tank I used live rock from a LFS (not knowing any better from a cost standpoint or the pests I would be introducing) and never had an algae/diatom/dino issue with hang on equipment and a filter canaster!

And glad to hear you're not going anywhere - it's important to document the good, the bad, and the ugly in this hobby as every time we do someone hopefully learns from us and our successes and mistakes...and I am looking forward to those March purchases!!!
Absolutely! I am really focusing on manual removal and maintenance, in addition to dosing, to try and get things as stable as possible for the end of the month...going to be a test of patience and self control.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome the newest addition to the tank...my diamond goby!

I discussed and went back and forth on the pros-cons of adding one, but decided that the sandbed turnover assistance outweighed the potential spewing of rubble onto low corals. So far, he has been a lot of fun to watch and spends a majority of the time on one area of the tank making a giant pile of sand. Once I have more corals we will reevaluate of there needs to be a plan with keeping them from getting buried.
0CF2287A-4E9E-4CEF-B087-CCFA1409E0D4.jpeg

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3/2021

The manual removal and effort has helped get the algae issues under control. I still have more than I would like, but way better than it was. My other focus was getting my water parameters in line for the big ARC Live Sale that happened this weekend. I have still had near zero readings on nitrate and phosphate, so I have been slowly trying to dose both in order to raise the levels to low levels instead of zero. We are going slow and trying to dial in the lowest dosing strategy. I am happy with the progress I have made thus far and also happy with the diamond goby's assistance with the sandbed! I have also seen some coralline algae start to grow on the pumps and rock!

The exciting news was that I was able to practice self control (which was extremely difficult) and focus on the water quality in preparation for the ARC Live Sale. No additional corals or livestock was added in this period. I stayed focused and dedicated to this goal, and rewarded myself with a decent haul of corals at the live sale! Once again, I stayed focused on cheaper "tester" corals, so no show stopper acquisitions. However, I did pick up some pieces I have been really wanting and looking forward to adding the new additions to slowly keep working on improving. I took the leap and purchased a few $5-10 sps since I have coralline showing and at about the 6 month mark. I'm sure I will be looking for plenty of advice and help with these new pieces. I will post pictures of my new additions in the near future.

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 3/2021

The manual removal and effort has helped get the algae issues under control. I still have more than I would like, but way better than it was. My other focus was getting my water parameters in line for the big ARC Live Sale that happened this weekend. I have still had near zero readings on nitrate and phosphate, so I have been slowly trying to dose both in order to raise the levels to low levels instead of zero. We are going slow and trying to dial in the lowest dosing strategy. I am happy with the progress I have made thus far and also happy with the diamond goby's assistance with the sandbed! I have also seen some coralline algae start to grow on the pumps and rock!

The exciting news was that I was able to practice self control (which was extremely difficult) and focus on the water quality in preparation for the ARC Live Sale. No additional corals or livestock was added in this period. I stayed focused and dedicated to this goal, and rewarded myself with a decent haul of corals at the live sale! Once again, I stayed focused on cheaper "tester" corals, so no show stopper acquisitions. However, I did pick up some pieces I have been really wanting and looking forward to adding the new additions to slowly keep working on improving. I took the leap and purchased a few $5-10 sps since I have coralline showing and at about the 6 month mark. I'm sure I will be looking for plenty of advice and help with these new pieces. I will post pictures of my new additions in the near future.
Can't wait to see the added frags to the tank! I'm also thinking of a sand sifting Goby for my tank but haven't landed on what type yet. I don't think I could do a pistol shrimp because the bed is not deep enough, but the goby should be fine. Algae/growth on the sand bed on my nano tank was always an issue and it was not large enough to accommodate a sand goby.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the added frags to the tank! I'm also thinking of a sand sifting Goby for my tank but haven't landed on what type yet. I don't think I could do a pistol shrimp because the bed is not deep enough, but the goby should be fine. Algae/growth on the sand bed on my nano tank was always an issue and it was not large enough to accommodate a sand goby.
I went with a workhorse in the diamond goby. I have been pleased with his controlled sand spraying chaos so far. He loves to build a giant mound around the cave he has taken home in. I probably have about 1-1.5" of sand on the bottom, but he builds the mounds to 6" plus. He is super entertaining. I stayed aware from the pistol shrimp because I think the noise would annoy me since the tank is in the main living area.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my new additions from ARC's Live Sale. It will be my first real go at SPS, but there's coralline algae starting to grow and I have been really working on dialing in water parameters. If I am fortunate enough to succeed, maybe I can complete the Yoda trio at the next live sale. Wish me luck!

Fruit Loops zoas:
Fruit Loops.png

Butt Munchers zoas:
Butt Munchers.png

AOI zoas:
AOI.png

Rainbow Yoda zoas:
Rainbow Yoda.png

Spicy Lemon favites:
Spicy Lemon Favites.png

Mystic sunset monti:
Mystic Sunset Monti.png

Blue Green birdsnest:
Birdsnest.png

Awesome Orange ricordea:
Awesome Orange Ricordia.png

UC Yoda acan echinata (to replace the one I lost battling algae):
UC Yoda Acan Echinata.png

Lime Caddy:
Lime Caddy.png

Northern Lights:
Northern Lights.png

Field of Dreams:
Field of Dreams.png

Pink Phantom:
Pink Phantom.png

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely loving the frags I picked up from @A Reef Creation live sale! I got them all in the tank and they look even better than I envisioned. Most have opened up nicely.

It is my first attempt at SPS in the tank, so I’m starting them low and will move the frags up a few inches every few days/week depending how they are looking. All but one or two have their polyps out nicely.

The only problem I’m having is with the Yoda acan echinata again. I added it to the sand bed all the way on the side of the tank to keep from blasting it with light and flow since I am assuming too much light was the issue last time. The first 48 hours it was plump and looked amazingThen yesterday I noticed it have skeleton exposed, was receding, and deflated. Can’t tell if something picked at it overnight, or all of the sudden it was a placement/chemistry issue? I moved it off the sand bed a few inches and under an overhang to reduce light and irritants. Today I moved it out from complete shadows a bit and will monitor closely. Really like this piece and want to find a way to make it succeed. Would love any suggestions or advice.

Yoda acan echinata looking amazing:
D1799E66-C734-4356-86C4-B49946F49D2C.jpeg

Yoda acan echinata looking unhappy:
4EDBD19C-97D8-4ED9-8F37-0A75AD810751.jpeg

The rest of the gang:
8F050FD1-6FA5-4D27-9124-CFEFC9CB3FA3.jpeg
1241AC38-9F70-46F8-BFAE-1B02B39E1A2D.jpeg
C8731707-22E5-417B-9877-8FDEE2A0BFEC.jpeg
E012168F-FEE3-49F5-9E1A-6CE41C5DBC2D.jpeg
0F59ED3F-FB02-4606-BBFA-9712B0C7A343.jpeg

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yoda acan echinata looks like it’s on its last days. After looking amazing the first 24-48 hours it quickly deteriorated regardless of where it was placed. Wish I knew why I’m not having any success with these.

Still battling the algae issues. Most of the corals and fish look happy, so been trying to focus on water quality and manual removal. Lots of scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush. Unfortunately, it’s quite tedious and can only do a rock or two at a time. Nitrate and phosphate continue to stay low, so maybe continuously working to raise those will help. Otherwise, I might just be feeding the problem. We shall see.

I went to the LFS today to pick up some additional CUC to help control the algae hopefully. I only had around 5 snails in there at the moment. Picked up 10 astrea snails, 2 emerald crabs, and 4 hermit crabs. Will pick up additional members like turbo snails, fighting conch, maybe an urchin, etc as they come in stock.

The journey and learning continues!

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yoda acan echinata looks like it’s on its last days. After looking amazing the first 24-48 hours it quickly deteriorated regardless of where it was placed. Wish I knew why I’m not having any success with these.

Still battling the algae issues. Most of the corals and fish look happy, so been trying to focus on water quality and manual removal. Lots of scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush. Unfortunately, it’s quite tedious and can only do a rock or two at a time. Nitrate and phosphate continue to stay low, so maybe continuously working to raise those will help. Otherwise, I might just be feeding the problem. We shall see.

I went to the LFS today to pick up some additional CUC to help control the algae hopefully. I only had around 5 snails in there at the moment. Picked up 10 astrea snails, 2 emerald crabs, and 4 hermit crabs. Will pick up additional members like turbo snails, fighting conch, maybe an urchin, etc as they come in stock.

The journey and learning continues!
That's a bummer about the yoda acan, I was hoping it would pull through for you.

Are you running any macro algae in the refugium portion of your tank? Chaeto might help control some of those nutrients that is helping the algae thrive - when you have more and larger corals they will out compete the algae, that's a lot of system right now with very little competition.

Those emerald crabs will make short work of the algae but could take awhile since they stick to night time and usually hide during day. Just keep on eye on them - if you have one with big claws it can go after other critters, corals, and even fish.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer about the yoda acan, I was hoping it would pull through for you.

Are you running any macro algae in the refugium portion of your tank? Chaeto might help control some of those nutrients that is helping the algae thrive - when you have more and larger corals they will out compete the algae, that's a lot of system right now with very little competition.

Those emerald crabs will make short work of the algae but could take awhile since they stick to night time and usually hide during day. Just keep on eye on them - if you have one with big claws it can go after other critters, corals, and even fish.
No chaeto at the moment because it seems to be out of stock everyplace I look. Don’t really want to bring over any critters/issues by getting somebody else’s excess growth. Plan on adding some when it becomes available.

The clean up crew is hopefully a portion of the solution, but not the answer. Just growing pains of starting a new system. Hopefully just a temporary visual set back and will come around with time and attention. Don’t plan on anything too aggressive and will let things play out naturally if possible.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was doing some manual cleaning of the tank today and my Diamond Goby decided to take a leap. I heard it happen, so was able to quickly grab him and put him back in the water. He looks very stressed, but hopefully he will calm down and be ok.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby seems to be doing well after his excursion to the great beyond.

I added 4 more emerald crabs (total of 6) to the CUC and they are starting to really make a dent in the algae. Still working/learning with the new coral haul. Had the encrusting month that was already growing like crazy fully bleach, but with increased tank flow, decreased light, and slowly fixing a slight salinity drop to 33 from 34/35 seems like there’s hope. Happy with where things are going. Have some cyano coming in strong, but discussed this with the Lfs and we are going to let that ride for now to help progress the process and take care of it later on.

Future plans are to add some more livestock (significant other picked out a few “red wrasses” she likes and I would love a Yellow tang, but current availability limits) plus some more corals (specifically euphyllia).

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hair algae is noticeably improved, and the cyano has noticeably taken over. Going to let this play out until the end of May when I can get to the LFS and decide on the recommended course of action. Also targeting June to add some more livestock and corals.

The birds nest coral has pretty much all sloughed off. I tried to frag a few pieces, but doesn’t look like any survived. However, the encrusting monti has at least haulted its decline. I decided to adjust my lighting a bit after doing some research. I dialed back the overall intensity to about 75% and cut the whites back. Mainly after rewatching the BRS videos on Hydra 32 settings and WWC AI hydra 100g program. I will keep an eye on how things progress and can always ramp it back up now or in the future if the SPS show they need it.

Working on keeping parameters stable and having a regular routine otherwise.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jinxed myself again. Just discovered that my melanarus wrasse died. Pretty bummed about it as it is totally unexpected. As of 5ish hours ago when I last fed the fish it was the first one by the port as always, eating normal, and active. I came back at the end of the night to squirt some algae off a few frags and noticed that it was dead. Looked very freshly dead. It looked very healthy: good color, plump, active, ate very well, no signs of damage or disease. Water parameters seem stable (will test them all as part of weekly maintenance tomorrow) and made sure no ammonia. I have no explanation.

Will definitely be looking to replace the melanarus wrasse as it was a favorite.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a busy time, so I am trying to get through to next week where I plan to invest a significant amount of time giving the system a good cleaning, securing frags, and continuing stocking.

However, over the last few days I’ve notice 3 zoa frags that were not secured on the frag rack have disappeared (no stems due to previously being glued to rock work). Previously they were just knocked onto the sand, but I can’t find these three anywhere. If I can find some time today I plan on thoroughly siphoning the sand bed in a hunt for them. I’m hoping to not have to move any rock work incase any of the CUC decided to pull them into a little cave.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After tilting the whole structure the frags were located under the left base area where the diamond goby makes his fortress. I guess it was just interior decorating.

I’ll have to make securing these to the rock a priority.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while. Wound up losing the larger of the two clownfish (misbarred one) to what looked like a swim bladder infection since he puffed up and couldn't swim. Since the last update there have been a few frags not make it as well. I have also added some pieces. I will just update with a current stocking list.

The main thing that happened since the last update is I cleaned up the cyano with chemiclean. It worked great within about 48 hours, but really causes the skimmer to go crazy. I have had it off for a few weeks, but it is still not back to normal yet. There is some hair algae coming back. I am going to test my parameters, try to get back to dialing those in and get back to consistency and hopefully on the right track as we close in on the one year mark.

Fish:
1) Kole tang
2) Diamond goby
3) Picasso clownfish
4) Misbarred orange clownfish (new today)
5) Midas blenny
6) Red firefish
Misc.) Peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, astrea snails

Unfortunately, things have not been very stable recently with the cyano treatment, some neglect due to schedules, and a few minor misteps. Hopefully we can get things turned around and stabilized before losing too many pieces.

Corals:
1) Duncan
2) Deadpool favia
3) Spicy lemon favia
4) Octospawn (green with blue tips)
5) Yellow tip torch (new today)
6) Blue-green ricordea mushroom
7) Awesome orange ricordea mushroom
8) Red and green blasto
9) Sunset montipora (encrusting)
10) Butt muncher zoa
11) Rainbow infusion zoa
12) Nightmare zoa
13) Mohawk zoa
14) Sour apple zoa
15) Smurfette zoa
16) Scrambled eggs zoa
17) Twizzlers zoa
18) Utter chaos zoa
19) Fire and ice zoa
20) Eagle eye zoa
21) Rainbow yoda zoa
22) AOI zoa
23) Rasta zoa
24) Fruit loops zoa
25) God of war zoa (struggling)
26) Grafted monti (plating) (struggling)
27) TKC Pikachu stick (new today)
28) WWC Tutti Fruiti stick (new today)
29) ARC goldfinger acro
30) Magic carpet acro (tabling) - might be something else I can't recall and was purchased in store
31) Northern lights stick (receding)
32) Field of dreams stick
33) Lime caddy stick
34) Pink phantom stick (receding)

Some pictures of the corals that were not previously uploaded:

TKC Pikachu
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.38.44 PM.png

WWC Tutti Fruiti
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.38.29 PM.png

ARC Goldfinger (not actual frag I picked up in store)
Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.40.28 PM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Doser
I've been contemplating setting up a doser to help with supplements and achieve a level of stability that isn't possible doing it all by hand with my schedule. I initially planned to install two Neptune DOS in the control cabinet, but I decided to take a shot in the cheaper and more compact Red Sea Doser instead. This will potentially allow me to install 8 heads instead of 4. The alternative was the Versa, but I have been happy with my other Red Sea components thus far and it was the cheapest option. I do plan on getting another DOS at some point to automate my top off filling.

I plan to get this installed in the next few days, so stay tuned for pictures and initial thoughts. I will initially use it for DKA, Mg, Ca, and one KZ supplement. If all goes well, I can fit a second unit in to dose the KZ 4-part. Figuring out how to get the tubing run with the removable front panel of my electronics panel is the part I think will take the most thought.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back