Rudzbrewski's Journey to the Reef-er xl425 (V3 sump, Clarisea, plumbing w/ manifold)

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefdose4 is up and running! I am very impressed by the product itself and setting it up with the tubing kit was extremely easy. They did a great job thinking out how to utilize and organize the system. Setup once installed was also smooth via the RS app. I have experienced a minor operational issue. One of the dosing heads has "faulted" a few times resulting in a missed or under dose. I was notified on my phone each time it has happened to respond accordingly. I have been in contact with Red Sea support and they have been very responsive as we trouble shoot the issue. The representative even monitors my unit regularly to track it's performance throughout the trouble shooting process. I'm not going to do a full product review, but I am happy to answer any questions about my experience. I will say that as long as we get this minor issue resolved and the unit shows it is dependable and accurate, I do plan to add another in the space under this one once I am ready.

A0663763-F334-4E2B-A3E5-7547E367D1B7.jpeg
E703AE72-D622-46D5-9D9E-4FCE4553FCC0.jpeg

I am dealing with/trouble shooting a separate issue with my Ecotech battery backup not kicking on to power my Vectra return pump. I have contacted Ecotech today for advice and will provide an update once it is resolved.

Finally, the tank itself continues to have its good and bad periods. Some corals appear to be doing well, while others are barely holding on or not making it. I will keep working on stabilizing the system and really need to test more regularly. However, my test results have been ok (could always strive for better) and my schedule has been difficult recently. I will also be attempting to move a majority of the corals from the frag rack to permanent spots soon which will hopefully result in happier SPS especially. In addition, I appear to have hair algae coming back again. Nitrates were ~10 and phosphate still 0-0.01 when I tested yesterday. I plan on going to the LFS to replenish the crab and snail population again. We are only a couple of months from the 1 year point which I am hoping will bring stability as the coralline continues to spread in the tank as it matures. The journey continues!

Last edited:

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefdose4 is up and running! I am very impressed by the product itself and setting it up with the tubing kit was extremely easy. They did a great job thinking out how to utilize and organize the system. Setup once installed was also smooth via the RS app. I have experienced a minor operational issue. One of the dosing heads has "faulted" a few times resulting in a missed or under dose. I was notified on my phone each time it has happened to respond accordingly. I have been in contact with Red Sea support and they have been very responsive as we trouble shoot the issue. The representative even monitors my unit regularly to track it's performance throughout the trouble shooting process. I'm not going to do a full product review, but I am happy to answer any questions about my experience. I will say that as long as we get this minor issue resolved and the unit shows it is dependable and accurate, I do plan to add another in the space under this one once I am ready.

A0663763-F334-4E2B-A3E5-7547E367D1B7.jpeg
E703AE72-D622-46D5-9D9E-4FCE4553FCC0.jpeg

I am dealing with/trouble shooting a separate issue with my Ecotech battery backup not kicking on to power my Vectra return pump. I have contacted Ecotech today for advice and will provide an update once it is resolved.

Finally, the tank itself continues to have its good and bad periods. Some corals appear to be doing well, while others are barely holding on or not making it. I will keep working on stabilizing the system and really need to test more regularly. However, my test results have been ok (could always strive for better) and my schedule has been difficult recently. I will also be attempting to move a majority of the corals from the frag rack to permanent spots soon which will hopefully result in happier SPS especially. In addition, I appear to have hair algae coming back again. Nitrates were ~10 and phosphate still 0-0.01 when I tested yesterday. I plan on going to the LFS to replenish the crab and snail population again. We are only a couple of months from the 1 year point which I am hoping will bring stability as the coralline continues to spread in the tank as it matures. The journey continues!
Hang in there. It was after the 1 year mark that my corals really started to grow. I did recently lose an SPS but the other 5 are growing over their frag plugs well. I'll update a video and pictures tomorrow.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there. It was after the 1 year mark that my corals really started to grow. I did recently lose an SPS but the other 5 are growing over their frag plugs well. I'll update a video and pictures tomorrow.
Thanks for the positive reinforcement! I still absolutely love the hobby even when it is difficult and frustrating. I just keep learning as I go and enjoy the challenges that come with it. I'm looking forward to checking out those updates! Once I get my corals off the frag racks I need some updated full tank and sump shots as well. My LFS has another live sale coming up, so time to place and refill the frag racks potentially!

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just scored a surprise deal on a second DOS unit. I have been planning to buy one for a while in order to automate my setup enough to sustain itself for multiple weeks at a time to allow for vacations and trips. I will use this second unit to pump water from my mixing station to the ATO reservoir. I am not comfortable with tapping straight into my house's water line, so this will allow me to automate the process of RODI refills and no more lugging 7 gallon jugs! This will mean no attention needed until my 40 gallon RODI Brute container needs to be refilled.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some coral placement today. Replaced frag plugs with pieces of rubble where I could. Hopefully this helps some of the SPS start looking happier.

ED3623C2-7CB0-4912-B44F-C25324B3679D.jpeg

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an ICP test mid August and received the results in about 1 week. Sent on a Monday and results came on Saturday night I believe.

Went to my LFS to get the trace elements and discuss adjustments. Summary is dose a handful of trace elements, work on raising salinity from to closer to 1.026 (35 ppm), increase phosphate dosing, reduce calcium dosing, adjust power head placement to back and vertical, as well as future lighting adjustments coming. This is all in an effort to really dial in the system and increase coral success focused on SPS. In addition, working to increase overall stability with getting temp in 76-77 degree range and things like that as well.

Can’t say enough good things about my LFS and the service they provide. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the results of these efforts as we close in on the 1 year mark. I also plan on sending ICP tests about every 3-4 months now.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an ICP test mid August and received the results in about 1 week. Sent on a Monday and results came on Saturday night I believe.

Went to my LFS to get the trace elements and discuss adjustments. Summary is dose a handful of trace elements, work on raising salinity from to closer to 1.026 (35 ppm), increase phosphate dosing, reduce calcium dosing, adjust power head placement to back and vertical, as well as future lighting adjustments coming. This is all in an effort to really dial in the system and increase coral success focused on SPS. In addition, working to increase overall stability with getting temp in 76-77 degree range and things like that as well.

Can’t say enough good things about my LFS and the service they provide. Looking forward to hopefully seeing the results of these efforts as we close in on the 1 year mark. I also plan on sending ICP tests about every 3-4 months now.
what are you using for dosing all these?

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using for dosing all these?
All of the minor elements? I was able to purchse the amounts required for my tanks/results as singledoses from my LFS instead of buying 8-10 bulk bottles to get my levels closer to ideal levels. They are absolutely awesome and have helped me out all along the journey.

I will continue to dose KZ 1,2,3,4 regularly to replenish the required supplements and elements as recommended. Then repeat an ICP test in about 3 months if things seem to improve and go well with the adjustments that were just made.

It is truly amazing to have a store that wants to help you succeed and will take the time to look at your results and have discussions with you to fix issues and help you learn and grow in the hobby. When I initially looked at my ICP test results I had no idea I would have needed to adjust many of these things as they were still within the green area or at least close. So it was just another awesome learning experience.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been focusing on improving the water quality and getting all of my parameters in range. It was finally time to add the corals from ARCs previous live sale! They were kind enough to hold onto them until my parameters were in check to reduce chance of mortality. They have been in the tank for about 2 weeks now and polyps have even been out! Here are the newest additions:

ARC Fuzzy Lime Table:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.26.32 AM.png

WWC Ruby Red Micro:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.26.23 AM.png

OG Dragon Soul Torch:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.26.14 AM.png

ARC Master Yoda:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.26.04 AM.png

UC Grim Reaper:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.25.52 AM.png

Purple Monsters:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.25.42 AM.png

Sanjays's Party Time Table:
Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 8.25.32 AM.png

Victory652

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great job planning this whole adventure out! I was also a researcher for a few year but didn't happen to plan it out all the much ironically haha now I have a 55gal and a 125 gal. Looks like you are well on you way into the reefing world! Good job having patience to wait out the important beginning steps. A lot of people , myself included, couldn't wait and we're so excited to have fish. Then later on lost them due to parameters swinging to much.

Doesn't look like you will have those issues. I expect you will have a very beautiful tank soon! Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned from being out of town for 3 weeks. The good news is that all of my automation and planning worked as planned to make the tank maintenance free until about the last 5 days. I received alerts and notifications that allowed me to identify the problem, but it turns out it wasn’t aquarium equipment related. The circuit in my basement by the ATO and AWC station got tripped by an unrelated issue. Long story short, somebody had to come over to manually top off the tank for evaporation twice and AWC weren’t happening for a few days. I returned to most parameters being within range and only slightly elevated nitrates and phosphates with some GHA.

All of my fish survived and a majority of the corals look good, except my SPS. I am still dialing everything in because softies and LPS seem to look happy, but over time all SPS frags seem to decline. I am due for another ICP test on 12/1, so hopefully that can identify any shortcomings with water parameters that I can’t routinely identify.

I did stop in at the LFS last night and picked up a new Melanarus wrasse and a Blue Throat Fairy wrasse. Here’s to hoping they work out! I think my next target will be a Yellow Tang since it was one of the first fish that drew me to the hobby and I’ll just accept paying a premium while hoping for the best. I could also use another utilitarian member.

After the ICP test, time for some more coral shopping. ARC doesn’t have another live sale before the end of the year, so in person shopping it is.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a few new fish to the system in the last few weeks:
Melanarus wrasse
Blue throat fairy wrasse
Yellow tang (from Biota)

The new additions are eating and looking happy so far. I sent out another ICP test this week, so based on those results I’ll hopefully switch my focus to increasing my livestock and coral populations in the upcoming weeks. I’ll post pictures as time permits.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December 2021 Set Back

I never wound up posting a picture of the Yellow Tang because a few days after receiving it I notice some spots on it, tried a Paraguard bath since it looked too far gone for surviving copper, but ultimately it didn’t make it.

Unfortunately, now other fish are showing signs of disease. I am in the process of quickly hunting down some second hand gear to set up a full QT tank ASAP. I will be doing a full QT setup and 76 day fallow of the main tank from fish followed by having a fully operational QT tank moving forward.

I didn’t set one up from the start for various reasons, but it’s time to make that next step in responsible reefing.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not pretty, it’s not fancy, it’s not even in a permanent spot, but got the QT set up and started last night. Since it is an emergency situation we had to get a little creative. I know it’s not 100% text book, but have a container of gravel for the goby and wrasse that can be removed once they are done. Also added a rock from the sump to get bacteria in there and a bottle of Dr Tims since I don’t have the luxury of time to let the tank cycle. I am awaiting an ammonia alert badge and will test daily until then.

Catching the fish has been extremely difficult in the DT. All have been transferred and drip acclimated except the diamond goby, fairy wrasse, and Kole tang. That is tonight’s project.

I also did a Paraguard bath as part of the process for the clowns and Midas Blenny since they are looking the worst at the moment and it would be another 24-48 hours until I can get copper in the QT tank and start raising to therapeutic over 5-7 days.

B01958F7-3216-4A37-83A6-6F2E400548AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally caught all of the fish over a period of 5-7 days and way too much time. That was not very fun. The DT is officially fish free, so the fallow period has begun.

Later today I will start slowly increasing the copper level in the QT over 4-5 days to therapeutic levels.

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot fathom catching all my fish in my DT. Great job. I hope they all do well.
I have set up a "quarantine tank" in my garage. I don't use any meds but any new fish goes in the garage tank for 2 months. I watch them to be sure no disease for those 2 months and then move them in the house/DT. Has worked well so far.
I hope all goes well for you

craftsman1983

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally caught all of the fish over a period of 5-7 days and way too much time. That was not very fun. The DT is officially fish free, so the fallow period has begun.

Later today I will start slowly increasing the copper level in the QT over 4-5 days to therapeutic levels.
I just spent over 2 hours reading about your journey. Absolutely amazing and inspiring! Thank you for keeping such detailed posts-I plan to buy a 425 xl later this spring and get everything up and running over the summer. Been researching for about a year now and it seems overwhelming at times but reading your posts is very reassuring. One item I am defintely planning for is a UV sterilizer...I feel like if I get the right size and flow rate, it could really help to minimize the devastation disease outbreaks could cause. Have you ever thought about adding one to your set-up?

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot fathom catching all my fish in my DT. Great job. I hope they all do well.
I have set up a "quarantine tank" in my garage. I don't use any meds but any new fish goes in the garage tank for 2 months. I watch them to be sure no disease for those 2 months and then move them in the house/DT. Has worked well so far.
I hope all goes well for you
I had to get creative and spent multiple hours over multiple nights yelling many obscene words. My wife is a saint for putting up with these last few days.

The right side of the aquascape has no corals on it (plan on attaching some this coming week after ARCs last live sale), so I could remove it. It was incredibly difficult to lure fish over there and out of the rock work with hiding places (especially the fairy wrasse and Kole tang). I eventually wound up buying one of the plastic covers that go over commercial ceiling lights for $10 at Lowe’s and cutting it to the correct dimensions to place it in the tank as a divider. It still was quite the process to get them segregated and trapped, but this is the only thing that made it even remotely possible. The fairy wrasse was way too good as hiding and once trapped actually jumped out of the tank when it got spooked by the net, or else I probably never would have caught it.

Insanely frustrating and discouraging process that I hope to never go through again. QT will be a must now. Just gotta keep working to manage ammonia in such a sterile emergency set up with a good size bio load immediately added, and get the copper levels therapeutic now.

Thank you for the well wishes and I will keep updating. On the bright side, I can still add corals and have some additions I am excited for coming from ARCs live sale. Hopefully they do well in such a time of flux for my system as I try to keep things stable.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent over 2 hours reading about your journey. Absolutely amazing and inspiring! Thank you for keeping such detailed posts-I plan to buy a 425 xl later this spring and get everything up and running over the summer. Been researching for about a year now and it seems overwhelming at times but reading your posts is very reassuring. One item I am defintely planning for is a UV sterilizer...I feel like if I get the right size and flow rate, it could really help to minimize the devastation disease outbreaks could cause. Have you ever thought about adding one to your set-up?
There is endless information and various view points on so many aspects of the hobby. You can literally go down so many rabbit holes and also find contradicting information. My best advice would be write down a list of your top goals and priorities and focus on those that will ensure your happiness to stay focused and working toward them. There will be many ups and downs, but if you’re honest and willing to expect and accept the then it’s all part of the challenge and interest of the hobby. You can make it as simple or complex as you want and as easy or difficult as you want.

I am lucky to have an amazing LFS with a staff that I can talk to regularly for advice and can’t give enough credit to for all the help and education they have helped me with. They are who I default to when needing help sifting through information or making final decisions after doing my research and self education.

The reason I have not added a UV is that while it doesn’t hurt, it does not replace or guarantee good maintenance/husbandry. I would still find myself having to go through the same processes and procedures to ensure the results I am after. The added cost, setup, and maintenance just doesn’t seem worth it to me since it won’t fully prevent disease, algae, or problems on its own. Ultimately, I look at it as a great redundancy and luxury, but not in my current budget or plans (got to save somewhere sometimes). I have plumbed my manifold in a way that I could add one if I ever decide to.

Super excited for you to join in on the fun and I am more than happy to answer any questions you have or explain why I made any choices along the way.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back