Ruined! :( Caribsea Life Rock

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my first attempt at aquascaping ended in a disaster. I think I would make a better butcher than an aquascaper lol!

I bought 40 LBS of Caribsea Life rock. And then bought on arch for 50 dollars from a local store. The rocks form the 40 pound box were extremely large as was the arch. I only have a 40 Gallon Breeder. I tried to shape and glue some of the rock together with E-Marco. I came up with the pic below. But when I put it in the tank it seemed to be extremely large. So I tried to play around with it and the arch broke and fell and shattered half of it. Ugh!

Back to the drawing board. I might just get the Life Rock Shapes and use that with what I have. The arches seem smaller than what I just broke. I am guessing I'm not the first to butcher an aquascape project. :(

IMG_5480.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you have looks great!

Ya the one on the right’s a bit chunky but like @Daddy-o said, get a hammer and chisel then give it some strategic whacks.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another You can use a fiberglass/plastic rod to mend the arch as well. Likely want a masonry drill bit or buy a cheap "regular" bit to drill into the arch rock. Carefully drill into the rock a little on either side and place the support rod/pipe into the rock with some of the e-macro bonder between the rocks also. Should help a lot to support the joint, especially down the road if you need/want to move it around some.

*Aquascaping is the one thing that really tries my patience in this hobby....I likely would have started another tank by now if not for the thought of trying to 'scape it!

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another You can use a fiberglass/plastic rod to mend the arch as well. Likely want a masonry drill bit or buy a cheap "regular" bit to drill into the arch rock. Carefully drill into the rock a little on either side and place the support rod/pipe into the rock with some of the e-macro bonder between the rocks also. Should help a lot to support the joint, especially down the road if you need/want to move it around some.

*Aquascaping is the one thing that really tries my patience in this hobby....I likely would have started another tank by now if not for the thought of trying to 'scape it!
Thanks.
I hate aquascaping lol.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xlayedoutx

Hair Algae Sucks Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 40B as well. I used 40 pounds of Caribsea life rock, a 20 pound box of shapes and I bought another arch from my LFS. Use all but maybe 3 pieces.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my first attempt at aquascaping ended in a disaster. I think I would make a better butcher than an aquascaper lol!

I bought 40 LBS of Caribsea Life rock. And then bought on arch for 50 dollars from a local store. The rocks form the 40 pound box were extremely large as was the arch. I only have a 40 Gallon Breeder. I tried to shape and glue some of the rock together with E-Marco. I came up with the pic below. But when I put it in the tank it seemed to be extremely large. So I tried to play around with it and the arch broke and fell and shattered half of it. Ugh!

Back to the drawing board. I might just get the Life Rock Shapes and use that with what I have. The arches seem smaller than what I just broke. I am guessing I'm not the first to butcher an aquascape project. :(

IMG_5480.jpeg
Take heart. Aquascaping is really hard when you first do it. One gets better at it with practice.

I used to really struggle. Then I got a job maintaining tanks for a LFS and some of the tanks I had to re-scaped every time I cleaned them. It was rough in the beginning but slowly my eye for it developed and so did my proficiency. Actually now aquascaping is one of my favorite aspects of doing a new tank.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help you with your struggles...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back