Running 2 RO systems, loud vibrations, help merge them into one system for both aquarium and fridge?

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a water hookup T'd off to two RO systems. I'm looking for help troubleshooting a loud, intermitten vibration problem and advice on how to merge the two systems together, if possible. I suspect they're fighting against each other since they're connected to the same household connection.

• an amazon-sourced RO with a pressure tank and is hooked up to the fridge upstairs
    • auto shutoff switch original to the unit has already been replaced once.
    • Added TDS meters to monitor membrane health.
  • An old aqua-fx RODI that goes to a float valve installed in a rubbermaid brute.
    • The RODI system for the aquarium was incomplete at one point (left hooked up at mother's when I moved out and she lost parts to it before I got it back)
    • auto shutoff switch was replaced once already
    • Added TDS meters to monitor membrane health
We intermittently get very loud vibrations which can almost be heard outside, for 2-3 seconds. The input line going into the two RO units is what's visibly vibrating the the vibration sound is difficult to discern where it's coming from (sounds like both units vibrate). I'm looking for advice on how to eliminate the vibrations and also merge the two systems into one improved system. If it's possible to run two parallel pre-filters and two parallel carbon filters into a membrane I can have higher pressure into the membrane and I've read it improves the longevity of the ro membrane. How would I provide a high pressure output of just RO water upstairs to the fridge and RODI output to the aquarium reservoir?

I've included a detailed diagram of how it's all connectedd because I may have connected something incorrectly. The auto-shut-off valves are from amazon (probably low quality), the check valves are from amazon (probably low quality) and the flow restrictors are from amazon (probably low quality and improperly sized).

PS: my ice maker on the one year old fridge died, probably from the vibrations. The output from the cold water out of the fridge upstairs is within range according to the manufacturer (measured time to output 250mL, was 10x as fast as minimum speed samsung said was needed).

Here's a copy of the diagram in case the attached one is low resolution: https://app.lucidchart.com/publicSegments/view/7e728d34-f5bf-44f5-ada3-1cf54b26df63/image.png

Reverse Osmosis.png

Last edited:

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right before your DI filter put a coupler valve that leads to a check valve and then a second coupler valve.

Second coupler valve goes to pressure tank and post carbon filter.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back