Running a reef tank like a pico jar?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Here's a question...could one run a nano reef (in the range of 5-10 gallons) like a pico jar? Namely, feed very lightly most days, then feed heavily one day and do a large (80%) water change later that day? And would such a tank be hospitable to fish and/or mobile invertebrates? Thank you :)

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 5 gal I changed about 80-90 percent each week and everyone did very well. Growth was such that now they are in an IM10. I change about 80% of the water most weeks - I am guilty of missing a change about once a month.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) any special considerations needed to avoid shocking anyone with this, beyond the normal 'Aerate and heat the WC water for a few hours'? Also, aside from a powerhead of some kind, a heater, and a light, would any additional equipment be needed for this tank?

OlderManSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) any special considerations needed to avoid shocking anyone with this, beyond the normal 'Aerate and heat the WC water for a few hours'? Also, aside from a powerhead of some kind, a heater, and a light, would any additional equipment be needed for this tank?
I just have the replacement water at the same temperature. I do have filter floss to pick up debris, usually there is very little so I replace it with the water change.

I siphon the dirty water into a white bucket. If there any tint to it (there rarely is) I put a couple of tablespoons of carbon into a bag and keep it in back compartment for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have the replacement water at the same temperature. I do have filter floss to pick up debris, usually there is very little so I replace it with the water change.

I siphon the dirty water into a white bucket. If there any tint to it (there rarely is) I put a couple of tablespoons of carbon into a bag and keep it in back compartment for a couple of weeks.
OK. One other thing...should I bother with a sand bed of any kind? I was thinking of just having a thin, half to quarter inch layer that would be easy to clean...purely for cosmetic reasons.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO will be your best friend and/or a lid. my sub 2g pico evaps about 2 cups a day with no lid and 4hrs of lights atm.

sand bed is helpful as you need all beneficial bacteria you can get

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO will be your best friend and/or a lid. my sub 2g pico evaps about 2 cups a day with no lid and 4hrs of lights atm.

sand bed is helpful as you need all beneficial bacteria you can get
How expensive are ATO's for something in the range of a 5 gallon?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find a five gallon vase with a fluted neck :)

not saying that to be funny, Im saying if you do that then with a simple inner-diameter lid fit you'll get 5 days in between topoffs, no ato. it will be the most stable salinity you could have, in any reef, of any size other than fully sealed ones from back in the day.

of course a square tank looks normal though...$ equipment costs factors. a vase isn't for novelty, its the strongest salinity control in reefing if the shape doesn't bother you!

where to get a five gallon vase: dunno

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u have somewhere to hide the float switches, the jbj ato and an aqualifter work fine, hydor sensors are black and less intrusive. both less than $100. I am going to run the autoaqua micro ato that's about 130 as I made my overflow to small and trying to keep all equipment outa display area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find a five gallon vase with a fluted neck :)

not saying that to be funny, Im saying if you do that then with a simple inner-diameter lid fit you'll get 5 days in between topoffs, no ato. it will be the most stable salinity you could have, in any reef, of any size other than fully sealed ones from back in the day.

of course a square tank looks normal though...$ equipment costs factors. a vase isn't for novelty, its the strongest salinity control in reefing if the shape doesn't bother you!

where to get a five gallon vase: dunno
I have no aversion to a vase...I am limited to max 20 gallons of aquarium in my apartment, so I have no beef with such a small setup.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines in an apt that specifically doesn't allow aquariums so I sold them like this, while booking: I see no fish aquariums, cool. How bout a lil fishbowl? pretty harmless, like a betta bowl type thing. no seams to crack?
-A fishbowl is ok Sir.

am thinking: nice, ok I can reef, we will deal with its innards at a later date the bowl is what mattered and its reliability. I had to stick with 2 gallon vases from wal mart but they're displaced down to a gallon with 4 pounds of lr crammed in. If you can find literally a vase to your liking, its simplicity cannot be beaten in reefing by any other shape.

even little anchor hocking décor jars have decent salinity control above a normal square reef, but can't touch the vase design because the fluted neck area allows for an inner-diameter resting plastic dish lid. that's where the magic happens. if I turn down my air input for a vacation I can get ten days no topoff :) have done it many times. when air input is on full im topping off every 3 days, still allows for long weekend vacas

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) Does the amount of air coming out of the line matter to the corals? And how would macroalgae or small mobile inverts do in such a vase?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines in an apt that specifically doesn't allow aquariums so I sold them like this, while booking: I see no fish aquariums, cool. How bout a lil fishbowl? pretty harmless, like a betta bowl type thing. no seams to crack?
-A fishbowl is ok Sir.

am thinking: nice, ok I can reef, we will deal with its innards at a later date the bowl is what mattered and its reliability. I had to stick with 2 gallon vases from wal mart but they're displaced down to a gallon with 4 pounds of lr crammed in. If you can find literally a vase to your liking, its simplicity cannot be beaten in reefing by any other shape.

even little anchor hocking décor jars have decent salinity control above a normal square reef, but can't touch the vase design because the fluted neck area allows for an inner-diameter resting plastic dish lid. that's where the magic happens. if I turn down my air input for a vacation I can get ten days no topoff :) have done it many times. when air input is on full im topping off every 3 days, still allows for long weekend vacas

Do you have a tutorial on the vase tank? Sounds like a fun quarantine project

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must lead with Maritza's vase, its the nicest pico I know of worldwide.
8 yr pico bowl:

it truly is as simple as: air bubble setup. we are using kessil a 160 lights, but a $25 ABI tuna from amazon grows the exact same quality sps.

tetra preset heater from wal mart (Maritza uses external controlled micro heater)

clean sand, cloudless rinse prep. quality live rock already covered in coralline *not white base rock/25 mo headache rocks lol small = use coralline rock and skip cycle it.

feed the tank before water changes, dose nothing forever, test only for salinity and temp. these are the cheapest way one can grow sps hands down, and happen to have better inherent salinity control vs any reef on this forum. whatever salt you want to use doesn't matter, I don't care if my salt brand changes all the time it just doesn't matter. these reefs are immune to the concerns of large reefs, but not immune to nerf sorties

small children cannot, cannot I specifically remind you, prevent themselves from picking up the bowl to turn it for a better view. they cannot, its not possible for humanity. ban children and nerfs lol

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I have everything but the light. Can you post a link to the Amazon light? Last question (I don't want to hijack the thread). Would it be easier to completely clean regularly if I skip the sand?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it wont matter in these sizes, Martiza there has about 3 inches of sand never cleaned not once, the big water changes seem to upwell enough detritus off the top to keep it from compounding. I myself use 6 inches of sand and just rip clean it all every few years. so easy to access wont matter.

Joshaeus-this shows neat stocking and care options, get the biggest vase you can find!

the light cheapo but HQ:

Martiza grew ALL that coral under this light. They've only been on Kessil for a month.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just airstone isnt that neat :) these systems have low fail points as one reason they’ll live decades, until nerf or elbow assaulted. we plumb in via T connector a battery back up air pump, cobalt has the fanciest ones it’s what I use. During power outage instant current easy design.

*a powerhead can be used, I think Tyler Johnson on youtube mightve been the first reefer to use a combo powerhead mini plus air movement

these dynamics are in play for lid-fitted vase reefs:

the bubble splatter doesn’t cake up because its diverted back down before evaporation, the lids fit inner-diameter they don’t rest on top typically.
more air in is faster motion at the expense of topoff rate. A typical balance gets 3 days or 4 till topoff, they run like an ATO is in place but it’s a fitted lid, gas exchange happens as positive air pressure within drives out co2 etc and will match to ambient levels quickly in a small throughput tank.

less air in is slower, but up to a week between topoff, amazing vacation setting.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was Tyler Johnson that discovered a reefbowl can run 14 days no topoff if you have a small powerhead for major motion, the fitted lid, and a small airstream not for motion but to maintain slight positive pressure under the lid, relative to ambient. He was the only person Ive ever seen to set up reefbowls as a business, for profit, and run it. Several flower shops and dentists offices let him install reefbowl setups there, and this topoff scheme saved him from going back daily. he did 100% of maintenance including topoff of probably ten or so bowls at once across his hometown. they paid him for the monthly service he provided all gear and life forms.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 2.5G pico jar for about 5 years. No heater, a MJ400 for flow, a DIY 18W LED and water changes whenever I thought about it, usually every few months. Top off of a couple of ounces every day or two.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back