Running all Actinic bulbs in T5 hybrid...bad idea?

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just installed a new 5ft Aquatic life hybrid fixture with 3 AI Hydra 26HDs. I went with 2x ATI blue plus and 2x Actinic bulbs.

I find it to be a little too white/turquoise. I can ramp my royal blue LED up full but I still don't get a very deep blue.

When I run just the 2 actinic bulbs, I find i can achieve a more deeper blue which is what I prefer so my question is, is there anything wrong with running 4x actinic bulbs or even 3x actinic and 1x B+? Will my corals lack spectrum they need if I do this?

Anyone run heavy actinic ?

Thanks

Will

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not maxed no...
Screenshot_20210521-153656_myAI.jpg

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you've got a ton of headroom if needed, I'd run whatever bulbs you want. You can easily extend into the higher spectrum with the the G, DR, and CW channels down the road if needed.
Also have you tried taking to the UV, V and RY channels over 100% to see if that helps, you have plenty of power to route. They max out at 95 watts you're using a 3rd of that.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the look of all actinic go for it. Maybe try and mix 2 different brands and see how you like it just to mix up spectrum. I've only used ati so I can't be of much help selecting another brand of actinic.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have you tried taking to the UV, V and RY channels over 100% to see if that helps, you have plenty of power to route. They max out at 95 watts you're using a 3rd of that.
Yeah I've wacked them up high and it doesn't quite hit the spot. However running just the actinic means I can get it looking exactly how I wanted. I was just worried about the lack of spectrum by only having actinic bulbs on but if you don't think that will be an issue then happy days !

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've wacked them up high and it doesn't quite hit the spot. However running just the actinic means I can get it looking exactly how I wanted. I was just worried about the lack of spectrum by only having actinic bulbs on but if you don't think that will be an issue then happy days !
I'd recommend a 2 hour peak with some extra CW, DR, G, if you're worried about getting a wider spread of the spectrum. Just do it at a time you don't look at the tank :)

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it every 10 minutes haha but that sounds a good idea. I will do that. Thanks for the suggestions

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Kessil AP9Xs, 6 ATI Blue+, and 2 ATI actinic over a 48" X 30" . I can't answer your question. I rely on those kessils and blue+ for total spectrum coverage. I would like to know how other reefers feel about them. I I am going all blue+ on my next blub change. following

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to go the actinic route at one point in my T5 hybrid fixture, but the par output was surprisingly low for my needs, so I did 2 blue + and 2 actinic, and just delt with the washed out blue look. It wasn't until this last bulb change I went with 2 blue + and 2 purples that I fell in love with my hybrid fixture. The color was much deeper, and works well with my LED blues.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 Hydra 32HDs, 2 ATI Actinic and2 ATI Blue+ in a Aquatic Life DX18 dimmable fixture for me. I run the Blue+ at a lower percentage than the Actinics. The DX18 setup is fairly new, so I am still dialing things in for my taste and PAR. I may try the Geisemann Super Actinics to see if they make a difference.

In the two pics below, the left is 4 ATi Blue+ and the right is 2 Blue+ and 2 Actinics. All are running at a fraction of full power.

20210405_213844.jpg thumbnail_20210504_213521.jpg AI 32 HD Spectrum.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 Hydra 32HDs, 2 ATI Actinic and2 ATI Blue+ in a Aquatic Life DX18 dimmable fixture for me. I run the Blue+ at a lower percentage than the Actinics. The DX18 setup is fairly new, so I am still dialing things in for my taste and PAR. I may try the Geisemann Super Actinics to see if they make a difference.

20210405_213844.jpg
Looks good!. Can you share your hydra spectrum setting?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!. Can you share your hydra spectrum setting?
Thank you and certainly! Attached to my original reply. Basically, it is the BRS recommendation, but I lowered the CW channel a bit. I may lower across the board as I raise the power on the DX18. Currently, the Blue+ are running at 30% and the Actinics are at 65% with an hour ramp up\down period.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and certainly! Attached to my original reply. Basically, it is the BRS recommendation, but I lowered the CW channel a bit. I may lower across the board as I raise the power on the DX18. Currently, the Blue+ are running at 30% and the Actinics are at 65% with an hour ramp up\down period.
Sorry I missed that! Thanks for sharing !

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back