Running an ATO from my Garage to my tank

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am trying to figure out a way to run a line from my tank to my garage (where my water containers are). Hypothetically speaking, would it be possible to run a Tunzee from my garage (if I extended the sensor lines) all the way to my tank to control my ATO From there? I would probably put a 1/4 inch fitting from the bottom of the container, to help the pump push it all the way there, maybe 20 feet? Think its possible? What kind of wire is the Tunzee? Anything special? Or just a positive and negative?

Last edited:

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the pump side of the problem but Tunze float switches are 12vDC, I would use the same guage wire or slightly larger for the run, but I doubt 20' would be an issue.

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my ato line up over my ceiling since my reservoir is on the other side of the room. I use the spectrapure litermeter, which I located on the tank side. So, the only line I had to run was for the feed. Might be easier than trying to extend the power line on the tunze pump.

I also run a tunze controller with the litermeter pump. But, honestly, I found the litermeter's pressure based sensor to be superior to the optical sensor tunze uses. IME, the optical sensor needs to be cleaned frequently to avoid false readings. If I could do it over, I would have got the nicer ato from spectrapure with the backup sensor and called it a say.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back