Running my Submersible pumps out of water.

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running their submersible pumps out of the water? My tank stays around 80-82 sometimes reaching 83 during the summer (and that is with a fan blowing in my sump). I'm wondering what kind of impact moving my pumps out of the water would have. I'd love to be able to keep my water constant between 76-78 year around without dropping $700 bucks on a chiller.

Currently, I have my return pump, and 2 other pumps I could potentially move out of my sump to decrees water temperature.

1. How much heat do pumps really give off, and would it make any difference?
2. What consequences does running pumps out of the water have on the lifespan of the pump if any?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there may be a few pumps that can be run in or out of water however most submersible pumps need to be in water for them to function properly.. have you tried using a fan for cooling? I had a heat issue with one of my tanks and was able to drop the temp from 82 to 78 using a old PC fan that I rigged up.. fans will increase your evaporation but are a lot cheaper than a chiller.

3D2C358B-DC75-440E-8CF8-A336EE604F26.jpeg

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ Yep, a simple small fan blowing across the top of the tank or your sump would probably do wonders.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated...pumps meant as submersible pumps need to be run in water. They do sell pumps that can be run in or out though. As far as how much heat they give off, it depends entirely on the model of pump. The pump that I use to circulate (and pump water out of) my salt water mixing container gave off so much heat I ended up removing the heater and eventually had to switch to a smaller powerhead for circulation.....but that was only in 32 gallons of water. In a large tank I am not sure it would make much of a difference.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running their submersible pumps out of the water? My tank stays around 80-82 sometimes reaching 83 during the summer (and that is with a fan blowing in my sump). I'm wondering what kind of impact moving my pumps out of the water would have. I'd love to be able to keep my water constant between 76-78 year around without dropping $700 bucks on a chiller.

Currently, I have my return pump, and 2 other pumps I could potentially move out of my sump to decrees water temperature.

1. How much heat do pumps really give off, and would it make any difference?
2. What consequences does running pumps out of the water have on the lifespan of the pump if any?

If you look up the pump on the vendor's site I bet it would tell you.
I've used mag drive pumps external, as well as a Current USA eflux pump.

The magdrive pumps do give off more heat compared to the eflux I have.

What type of lighting do you have?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pumps give off way more heat then others. Mag drive, rio and other poor quality pumps are heat makers, no matter how widely used they are. Have seen ppl change their mag drive to comparable ehiem hobby and have temps drop 3-4 degrees.

For ppl that run gfo make sure no media is exiting the reactor. It can/will get stuck to pump magnets and cause unnecessary heat and wear. Two little fishes reactor is the worst for this. If you have one take it off

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general pumps made to run in water leak when they are out of the water. Their tolerances aren't tight enough to keep the water running inside of them inside. While a pump will put heat into the water they generally aren't putting enough in the water by themselves to heat the water enough to make that big a difference. I would expect that the total sum of all your equipment is raising the temp. Lights can put a lot of heat into the water. Have you checked that your heater is properly calibrated? I always check my heater when my tank is running hot.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your pumps with a watt meter to see if they are drawing the advertised wattage? I have seen older pumps draw 50 to 100% more wattage that was listed, which raised the temp in the tank by 5 degrees. Changed the pump and the temp went down. I like my M1 run externally

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general pumps made to run in water leak when they are out of the water. Their tolerances aren't tight enough to keep the water running inside of them inside. While a pump will put heat into the water they generally aren't putting enough in the water by themselves to heat the water enough to make that big a difference. I would expect that the total sum of all your equipment is raising the temp. Lights can put a lot of heat into the water. Have you checked that your heater is properly calibrated? I always check my heater when my tank is running hot.
Yes it’s the total sum, and lights can make a difference. Yes check your heater. IMO a controller that your heater is plugged into is the only way to go. Mean no offense but the rest of this post is not good guidance

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a simplicity that I upgraded to a vectra. I moved the simplicity to my 40 gallon salt mix tank. Running it on high water created 100 degrees over night. Set at speed 3 keeps my salt mix at 80. So the simplicity pumps give off a lot of heat.

Vectras were external mounted. They don’t get very warm at all.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op. If your pump is designed to run in or out of water and is in working condition you can run it either way.
The issue/pita is that it needs to be primed before it will pump water.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For externals I drilled in a pair of bulkheads in the side of my tank. Won’t need to prime if you have the room to set up.

They do stick out a ways.
E69675F6-E7FF-4F7A-BB36-43E5274EEDA7.jpeg

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump itself won't output significant heat to cause concern.
Can you provide your lighting and if you have the heater controlls in any form?

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meat what don’t you agree with, not offended just asking.
I said check your heater and you agreed with that.
I said lights put heat in the water and you agreed with that.
I said that internal pumps can leak if run externally. I’ve that more then once.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I guess I assumed he is using a return pump designed for the purpose that was working properly, but I see your point and it is correct.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How much heat do pumps really give off, and would it make any difference? Yes
2. What consequences does running pumps out of the water have on the lifespan of the pump if any? Yes Shorter

They tell you a little bit of what they have found

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meat what don’t you agree with, not offended just asking.
I said check your heater and you agreed with that.
I said lights put heat in the water and you agreed with that.
I said that internal pumps can leak if run externally. I’ve that more then once.
Yes an external pump can leak. So can many other things on a tank. If set up properly it should not leak.
Other than that don’t get how anyone with the experience to know better can offer the advice that a pump won’t significantly heat water.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back