Running my Submersible pumps out of water.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying it won't add heat. A properly running pump will of course add heat. They have to run dump the heat that is generated in some way and they do that by putting it into the water.
I should asked a couple of questions before I answered. What type of pump, what size tank and sump, total water volume. A large pump in a 10 gallon tank will dump a ton of heat and really warm the water. A small pump working properly in a 500 gallon tank won't dump enough heat to make a difference. My point was that if the pump is working properly and is appropriately sized for the tank it shouldn't be dumping enough heat, by itself, to make a difference and that it was properly a combination of factors doing it. You should always look at the total of circumstances when there is a problem to determine what the possible causes are and then work your way through the of list of possible to find and fix the problem.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had to change 3 submersible (new) pumps because they raised 250 gallons of water to near 85 degrees.
So-- it can happen.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow lot of discussion since I was last able to check this! Thanks for everyones input. To catch up with all the comments in the threads.

I put a full-size box fan on the backside of tank blowing tons of air through the tank.

I have an Apex Neptune, and have the heater set to turn on at 76 degrees which it never hits in the summer. So its probably been 5 months since my heater has turned on, so there is no issues there.

As for my pumps..this is what they are pulling...
Return Pump: 87watts
PowerHeads: 23watts
Skimmer: 49watts
Algae Scrubber Pump: 46watts
Algae Scrubber Light: 23watts (can't believe these lights are running less then the pump, go figure!)
UV Steralizer and Pump: Not on Apex system but assume similar to the scrubber (46+23= 69watts)
Lights: 2 sets of Kessil Ap700. Also not on Apex, so not sure how much heat they are giving off..

I just purchased a Zeovit Reactor and going to convert over to that. So the Algae Scrubber and UV steralizers will be taken offline. So I'm hoping that alone will make a huge difference. The pump that runs my UV Steralizer also runs my carbon reactor, so that pump will stay online. All in all, once I setup the Zeovit I'll see a reduction from around 297 watts, down to 182watts.

I'll have to keep everyone posted as to what kind of difference if any this makes on temperature. Although with the weather soon changing, I might not have much time to observe much change.

Stay tuned!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread

In my case I'm definitely getting heat from my UV sterilizer.
This is my energy use the day before I added the UV sterilizer. Each spike you see is the heater coming on.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452564025.807302.jpg

As you can see, it comes on at least half a dozen times a day, and this has been the case for this season so far.

This is the energy use from the day I added the UV sterilizer. The heater only came on twice.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452564217.433348.jpg

The same pattern for the tank temp..
Before
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452564359.569807.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452564386.493835.jpg

When the lights hit full strength, the temp got higher than the set point. This did not happen before adding the UV sterilizer.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting enough, I just took down my UV Steralizer, and Algae Scrubber and my temperature dropped from 82 to 76 overnight. Grant it, it was a chilly 52 degrees last night, but its the first time since March my heater kicked on.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back