Running waterchange plumbing under house...

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello DIY team! I'm planning out how to plumb a few things for my new tank. I'm going to run the plumbing either through the floor into the crawl space, or through the wall down into the crawl space. I'm considering options and was interested in opinions on the way to proceed.

Automatic waterchange w/ DOS
* Current thought: Wall plate with RODI connection drilled through (unless this exists), flex tubing connected - think this will be clean, and simple
ATO w/ DOS
* Current thought: same as AWC - wall plate, flex tubing (wall plate will have 3 RODI connections - AWC clean, AWC waste, ATO)
BIG water change
* 1/2 inch pex in/out, probably through a fiber wall plate

For the big water change, I would like the option to connect a python to the waste line so I can siphon the sand and not have to lug buckets. Any thoughts on easily accomplishing this? A splitter in the 1/2 out line with a on/off valve and adapter?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not get below freezing temps in VA? Does the rest of your home plumbing run through the crawl space?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my top off and fresh salt water run through the wall to the basement fish room/mixing station. I run my Python Siphon from the utility sink in the FR up to the tank. (I think that's why Python sells extension tubing!)

I'd avoid running a permanent line for the Python. The number of times I've accidentally sucked up a little too much gunk and clogged it is lost to history. If you can see the whole line it makes back-flushing so very much easier.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back