Rusted Hose Clamp leading to LPS polyp bailout?

Ojala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a large 300 gallon mixed reef aquarium, with the following parameters: temp between 76-78, pH between 7.88 and 8.01, and alk around 9.1. I just did some service to my sump, and I noticed that two hose clamps I had attached to my return pump, which are about 2 years old, were covered in rust. I was wondering if anyone had any literature on any possible connection between rust and possible harmful effects on LPS, or even some first hand experience. I only ask because I have been having some issue with euphyllia polyp bailout (mostly hammer corals) for about a year now, and I have no idea what could be causing it, besides possibly these two rusted hose clamps which I have just taken out of my tank.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have an answer for your question, but rust and reef tanks are not a good combination. They make plastic clamps to keep you away from rust. It at least would be one thing you could eliminate to your search for solving your issue. Good luck.

OP
OP
O

Ojala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have an answer for your question, but rust and reef tanks are not a good combination. They make plastic clamps to keep you away from rust. It at least would be one thing you could eliminate to your search for solving your issue. Good luck.
I ended up just using reef safe glue to glue my hose to my return pump, which seems to be doing the trick. I didn't even know they made plastic hose clamps though, I might add a couple just as a back up. Thanks!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back