Rusting Parts in Aquariums - Anybody notice any Negative Effects from Rust?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of Sissies. :twitch:

Heads up with Paul B's tank......it's a replica of the Long Island Sound. So if you visit, and the first thing he does is measure you for a pair of cement shoes, don't say I didn't give you notice. Bones are how Paul does his calcium dosing.

deandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salts alone will probably be over what desired NSW is for most metal content... Feature Article: A Chemical Analysis of Select Trace Elements in Synthetic Sea Salts and Natural Seawater ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
Let alone any phosphate removers. NO other metal should be in water...
For tests of metals you can look at Triton ICP which tests for: Na, Ca, Mg, K, Sr, B, Br, S, Li, Be, Ba, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Al, Si, As, Sb, Sn, Cd, Se, Mo, Hg, P (PO4), Pb, I.

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The screws on my pump on my skimmer have rust my algea clip and return pump never had and problems

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once accidently dropped a front bumper from a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass in my tank and couldn't find it. No problems yet. Except the Oldsmobile just doesn't look the same.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just has more attitude!
I once accidently dropped a front bumper from a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass in my tank and couldn't find it. No problems yet. Except the Oldsmobile just doesn't look the same.

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rust=iron oxide
Iron can have a good effect you your tank health. Ironoxide binds PO4 and SiO4.
I keep iron dosing as a base of my reefkeeping method and it's function is a liquid PO4 removal and secundairy as a trace element.
I have never seen this kind of growth and diversity in any other thank.
Like with any other element you dosing and used quantity is everything. You need to keep track of what you're doing.

Yes... in the old days people used to hang and bag of nails in the sump to remove po4. The also used steelwool..

Before you put a finger on rust/iron oxide crashing a tank, you should know what you water values were before the crash.
Dir the people who chashed their tank did regular measurement to keep track of their water parameters?

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... in the old days people used to hang and bag of nails in the sump to remove po4.

Yes we did, and some of us still do

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you will rarely know what is in the metals you use, it is best to avoid metals and remove any that are rusting.

Iron is no concern, but the other metals in alloys are a bigger concern. Zinc, copper, nickel, etc.

I use float switches with stainless steel arms, but I knew what they were made of and that such a metal doesn't corrode much in seawater. They've been in 20 years now.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron doesn't concern me. There is an entire plethora of things that don't concern me. Ich, hair algae, cyano, global warming and Obamacare to name a few.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.......thanks, good to know I guess?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not be impressed with Paul's collection of metal until he plumbs his tank with raw copper pipe.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not be impressed with Paul's collection of metal until he plumbs his tank with raw copper pipe.

Well thats a relief as I never want to impress anyone with my tank. It is there for my enjoyment and the enjoyment of any Supermodels who may wander over, which hasn't happened yet.
But I did make a moving copper fountain in my goldfish pond and those guys just keep growing. I am sure they will never get ich. My house is plumbed with copper but it is now exactly raw as I think Eisenhower built my house.

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those magnets are probably nickel plated I know that sometimes they use a 90-10 nickel/copper plate. Wonder if that's the cause?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those magnets are probably nickel plated I know that sometimes they use a 90-10 nickel/copper plate. Wonder if that's the cause?

So Nickel is bad then.

What other Metals are Bad in a Reef Tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back