Rusting Parts in Aquariums - Anybody notice any Negative Effects from Rust?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many Corals that have lost color or faded since getting them.

I also get a lot less growth than others (A friend of mine and myself both bought the same coral from the same dealer at the same frag swap. They were both the same Zoathid and both had 3 Polyps. Mine still has 3 Polyps but he has 10 Polyps!).

I noticed that one of my Eshopps Frag Rack Magnets was Rusted.

I also noticed that my Impeller for my Tetra "Hang on the Back" Filter was Rusted too.

Do you guys think that this is the cause to my Color issues on some Corals and or the Lack of Growth?

Have you guys had anything Rust in the Aquarium before?

And if so did you noticed anything Negative happen to your Tank?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone who couldn't keep any corals alive in his tank. Turns out he had a rusted hose clamp submerged in his sump. I also have heard of corals looking bad if you have a rusted impeller (sump/skimmer pumps don't get cleaned/inspected as often.)

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think iron is bad for a reef tank? I wouldn't know.

Is there any Rust on the Hammer though?

We all heave Metal in out Tanks but it usually does not Rust.

It is not the Metal that I am concerned about.

It is the Rust?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rust "is" the iron. It is just oxidized, but it is still iron which IMO is not bad at all and can even be good. If you ever dive on shipwrecks Like I have done for years, you will see more coral on the iron, rusted wreck than on the surrounding rocks. I wonder why. I have all sorts of rusted iron screws, nails and wires in my tank and they have been in there for decades.

TaterTot24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad I am not the only one with Eshopps and a rust problem...

TankPics

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rust "is" the iron. It is just oxidized, but it is still iron which IMO is not bad at all and can even be good. If you ever dive on shipwrecks Like I have done for years, you will see more coral on the iron, rusted wreck than on the surrounding rocks. I wonder why. I have all sorts of rusted iron screws, nails and wires in my tank and they have been in there for decades.

Interesting.

Humblefish said otherwise though.

So one person says its bad and one says it doesn't matter.

What do the Rest of you Think?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it depends on what type of metal is "corroding". As Paul pointed out, technically "rust" is iron oxide. And perhaps iron leaching into the water is not a bad thing. However, other metals undergo corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not always iron. Brass, for example, is made of copper and zinc. Might help if you have ich in the tank, but I'm not so sure your corals will appreciate it. :eek:hwell:

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I cannot edit my previous post to include this pic...

upload_-1.jpg

Mine is not that bad but it did ineed rust.

I am making my own Frag Racks from now on.

Did you notice any problems from that? (Slow Growth, Die Off, Loss of Color, etc.)?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it depends on what type of metal is "corroding". As Paul pointed out, technically "rust" is iron oxide. And perhaps iron leaching into the water is not a bad thing. However, other metals undergo corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not always iron. Brass, for example, is made of copper and zinc. Might help if you have ich in the tank, but I'm not so sure your corals will appreciate it. :eek:hwell:

Anybody know what Metal that Eshopps uses then?

What Metal is used for Impellars?

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of threads exist about Ecotech wet sides rusting and Two Little Fishies magnets rusting. Pretty much a direct link between those products rusting and RTN/STN in SPS corals. Many many many people have experienced it.

There is SOMETHING about a metal rusting in your tank that is very different from using GFO. I am still not certain what that "something" is... but GFO doesnt crash an entire SPS tank - rust does.

I personally make it a part of my maintenance to consciously think "ok, what COULD rust in my tank?" and frequently tear those things apart to make sure they are not rusting.

Leslie Hempel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the old days we added iron to a reef by way of a supplement. Here was an increase in algae and since it's inclusion has been limited in the last few years.

metal item that lay in water will rust to a certain extent but without being exposed to air will not show active signs of rusting.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of threads exist about Ecotech wet sides rusting and Two Little Fishies magnets rusting. Pretty much a direct link between those products rusting and RTN/STN in SPS corals. Many many many people have experienced it.

There is SOMETHING about a metal rusting in your tank that is very different from using GFO. I am still not certain what that "something" is... but GFO doesnt crash an entire SPS tank - rust does.

I personally make it a part of my maintenance to consciously think "ok, what COULD rust in my tank?" and frequently tear those things apart to make sure they are not rusting.

Really?

I have never heard of that.

I just hear about Wet Sides needing to be replaced or people complaining about noise.

With so many SPS Dominated Tanks using Vortechs I am really surprised.

Does anybody know if the New Quit Drive Vortechs Fixed this Problem?

deandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a Triton ICP test and noticed Bains heavy metals that are kevavated including zinc that is through the roof! I've narrowed it down a to metal filter in my RO funnel that the RO is acting as caustic and has caused the metal to rust...

All NSW has metals in - but they are very small amounts. Anything over these amounts is bad. Just like you know copper is... So is zinc or iron or anything else. I've just gone through a detox procedure and about to send off another test. For price of a couple of frags I'd rather the guess work is removed and facts shown in order to move forward...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about aluminum, Is this bad?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, rusting metal is bad.
I went through a mini crash last year that i believe was from a TLF magnetic algae clip rusting in my tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of Sissies. :twitch:

Back