Ryan Live Stream, Fish Quarantine Gone By 2025?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Alexpora Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fish quarantine be gone by 2025?

One huge, huge often overlooked advantage to captive bred fish is that they are or should be disease free. If by 2025 100% of fish were commercially available captive bred fish then there would be zero reason for hobbyist to quarantine.

On Ich Eradication versus Management, this is largely irrelevant, as the main issue is actually Velvet. As I see it, this is the main goal of preventative quarantining. Therefore if you irradicate Velvet then Ich is also easily eradicated.

Quarantine Options:
1. Dump and Pray
2. Professionally Quarantined fish, as in Eliot from MarineCollectors
3. Quarantine the fish yourself
4. Captive Bred Fish

While it is possible for contamination to occur from new corals, I don't think this is very common occurrence. Clearly it's impractical for 99% of us to quarantine corals for 72 days, before adding them to the main display, out of Ich and Velvet fear. That said a few small easy measures, such as not adding the water from the bag, makes sense. I think there is a case to be made that coral growers and sellers should have guaranteed Ich and Velvet free systems.

Other Notes:
There's also Nature's Ocean Purple aragonite rock and they also have them in a Purple Stack that you should sell.

I'm going to set up a new small polip RedSea 750 (200 gallon) with the Purple Stack rock. I'm planning on adding two captive bred Yellow Tangs and a pair of captive bred Mandarins. Therefore no quarantining for me! I have a list of dry goods items adding up to about $15,000 most of which I'll get from you guys at Bulk Reef. Thanks for all the straight-talk, effort, thought, good videos and information!

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I want to say that I 100% understand where you're coming from. In theory, captively bred fish should be free of disease. Where it gets a little fuzzy is if that facility is also importing wild caught specimens.

Do the fish mix in the same system?
Does the staff use the same nets/equipment between the two systems?
How diligently are they washing their hands between working in the two systems?
How far are the systems apart?

Questions like that. A captive bred only facility would be ideal. Once we get to a point where the vast majority of the fish we keep in this hobby are captive bred, maybe this will become more of a reality. After all, we are talking about 5 years from now :)

OP
OP
Alexpora Corals

Alexpora Corals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it's a no brainer. we could ask LiveAquaria and others about that as they sell Captive Bred. One of their main suppliers/breeders is the Biota Group who sell direct retail as well. Check them out:

Let's ask them to confirm they keep them separate as well but it's a no brainer. They're stressing we're saving the ocean's natural fish blah, blah, blah and then mention by-the-way disease free!

Last edited:

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So unlike other facilities the way we operate is a bit different. All of our livestock is sold and distributed out of our Florida facility. This facility is Bio-secure with no incoming wild animals. Each of our systems is separated by where our fish come from, so we have systems for our Palau, Hawaii, and NC breeding facilities to keep all of the sources separate.

Being that most of our facilities are laboratory settings each with their own bio-security protocols we are fairly confident in the cleanliness of of our livestock. But to ensure the health all of the animals we get from each of our facilities are quarantined for at least 3-4 weeks before being available for sale. That being said we don't prophylactically treat our livestock.

We do however suggest every hobbyist have a quarantine tank/system regardless of vendor they purchase from even if it's just to monitor health and feeding without medication.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back