S.G of greater than 1.033 help!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Do you have any corals, fish, or invertebrates in the tank? If so, are they acting like they are in distress? Do you mix your own water and do you have access to RODI water? Additionally, you may want to have a local fish store or friend double check your salinity level.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Agree with peace river
happy dance GIF by BBC Earth

OP
OP
L

Lozanoj06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Do you have any corals, fish, or invertebrates in the tank? If so, are they acting like they are in distress? Do you mix your own water and do you have access to RODI water? Additionally, you may want to have a local fish store or friend double check your salinity level.
I currently have two clown fish inside. I do not mix I bought Sea-pure. At first the fish were in distress but they look fine. They are not gaping or having trouble swimming.

Attachments

• 20210529_194641.jpg
    20210529_194641.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 33

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a 5 gallon Marine tank and my S.G reading greater than 1.033. I am using a hydrometer. What can I do to correct my S.G.

Thanks!
Welcome!

Add RO water SLOWLY over days to get back in line - BUT like posts #2 & #3 said, once you have it confirmed. I had a defective hydrometer that said I was perfect salinity - but instead I was climbing higher than you. I had just changed salt mix bucket and thought my salt was defective ... get a second opinion from local fish store (take your water to them) and go from there.

Glad you joined

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the above:
1 - calibrate the refractometer, make sure it's accurate
2 - don't rush things - nothing good happens fast in a reef tank
3 - listen to what your tank is telling you
4 - hang in there!!!
You Got This Dos Equis GIF

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. I would recommend using a refractometer that can be calibrated and calibrate before each and every reading. Barring that, have another individual test with an accurate and calibrated refractometer and if the refractometer states the salinity is correct then know your current Hygrometer readings are what is normal and adjust when those readings fall out of line with 1.033. In other words, 1.033 is the correct value for that hygrometer and adjust salinity in your tank only when out of that range.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robin Williams Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Welcome to R2R!!! If I understand correctly, you’re using a swing arm hydrometer? If so I would agree with others that have said get your levels double checked. Swing arms are notoriously prone to giving incorrect readings.

I also agree with @Peace River

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure your salt tester is calibrated for accuracy. If adding saltwater to existing tank where there is water loss, it will increase.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, put some ro water the hydrometer and tap it a few times incase there are any bubbles under the arm if it reads zero it's calibrated. Definitely add ro water slowly in the next couple days to get your salinity down.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen anybody address this yet, the premixed waters (at least the caribsea and nutrisea IME) salinity runs high. I usually see it around 1.028. If you're going to continue using it be sure and test salinity of the jug before using. Cut it with R/O. Honestly though, get yourself a bag of salt mix and pickup R/O at your LFS and mix your own. You'll get alot more for less money and you can mix it to whatever salinity you want.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Easy thing to fix the key is to do it slowly. All you need to do is remove a small amount of tank water and replace with equal volume fresh water. Do once and let sit for several hours then repeat. Keep this up until your at your desired level.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! Great to see you reached out! Do you have any idea how the salinity got this high? You can do an easy water change of fresh water to bring your salinity down, but you may want to do it slowly depending on your livestock. What livestock do you have? Also make sure your readings are reliable of course.

Also note: If you replace the evaporated water with salt water it will raise the salinity instead of leveling it, I made that mistake when I first started >.>

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back