Sad day....All my SPS colonies melting

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks like I’m losing all my Sps. The skin is melting off due to some bacterial infection. Water changes,dips, added bacteria have no positive effect. So bummed as I have had these sps for years growing into beautiful colonies I was proud of. Thousands of dollars gone:( Walt Disney and homewrecker which I grew from nubs into colonies.....it’s definitely bacterial, peeled skin touches other colony and that colony starts to die. Happened 7 years ago and there was nothing I could do. I may leave the hobby over this one....spent a lot of my free time nurturing this tank and then to feel so helpless.

Thanks for letting me vent

alk 8.0
salinity checked 3 different testers 1.026
ph 7.8-8.2 night /day
nitrates 10
phosphate .04
tropic Marin pro reef salt
temp 79-80

2 years ago
B6515310-09A2-44B3-9D36-E559F7A3C2E5.jpeg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, I got a mari colony (which I blame) that has decimated the 3 wild tenuis I had. I have one left, that may be starting to peel as well :( I've done Dr. G's in case it was bugs (but none seen), to no avail. Someday we'll have a better understanding of the mysterious STN/RTN.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really heard of bacterial infections for SPS. How does it get infected? Can this bacterial infection be present in a coral/ dormant and then kill the coral at a later date or would the coral show symptoms upon receiving it?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you feeding enough? Are their fish? All my tenius were doing the same until I overpopulated with big fish and feed about 5 times a day. All have since recovered. Coming to the conclusion that the tenius types aren’t too fond of overly clean water.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you everyone.... I feed plenty...easy Sps zoo plankton hooked up to a dosing pump feeds 1.5 ml a day. Variety of fish foods and amino acids.
There is bad bacteria and good bacteria in a reef. Just like our stomachs, you want good to outnumber bad. If your immune is weak and bad bacteria outnumber good, you become ill. I believe this is what is happening. Colonies succumb before frags.

lemonade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterial or not there is always an underlying reason. Just like you stated in your analogy about a weak immune system before becoming ill. Even though it may seem like you had a perfectly healthy tank something has been weakening your corals or stressed them to the point of RTN. Finding out what the cause was can be the hard part, but I wouldn't just leave it at bacterial infection.

Hope you were able to make some frags early enough to save a few.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree wholeheartedly lemon and thank you for your input. As I said, I had some alk swings which were minor but nonetheless still added some stress along with new lighting and salt may have also tipped the scales.

I fragged as soon as I seen necrosis and the frags didn’t make it. The tank was doing well for a long time and I was a stickler about water changes, nutrients and all equipment calibrated. It happened and I’m moving on, just not sure if I want to continue this hobby.

learned a lot in the last 20 years of this hobby. I love Sps dearly, but to lose colonies that took years to grow overnight is a lot to inhale at the moment.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear, I got a mari colony (which I blame) that has decimated the 3 wild tenuis I had. I have one left, that may be starting to peel as well :( I've done Dr. G's in case it was bugs (but none seen), to no avail. Someday we'll have a better understanding of the mysterious STN/RTN.

sorry OC, I feel for you sincerely!

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your problem.
I agree with others that say you shouldn't assume it is bacteria. Since your major parameters appear to be normal (providing your test kits are accurate), I would suggest an ICP test.
Hope you figure it out.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I totally feel your pain, never give up just come back stronger. In February this year I had a house fire (electrical) which I lost my entire system about $30k Of high end corals I had all the high end big name sticks and many wild and maris to never be found again along with some beautiful fish including my Hawaiian golden dwarf eel and some equipment was also damaged. I’ve came back stronger then ever.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m incredibly sorry that happened Camaro! My heart hurts you went through that. I honestly didn’t think I would become so attached to these SPS. But after nurturing them for years and being rewarded with Beautiful color, polyp extension and growth, they are as cherished as any other pet I have. Just when I thought I had SPS care down pat, I have been humbled.

I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and advice. I need to regroup for a little while.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is happening. I hope you find the root cause and get back to growing beautiful SPS again. Are you confident that your phosphate test-kit can distinguish between 0.04 and zero? Myself, I'd be very nervous to get readings that low.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major bummer; if my SPS colonies did this suddenly I would probably bow out as well. Hoping you can figure out and fix what is going on.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry this is happening. I hope you find the root cause and get back to growing beautiful SPS again. Are you confident that your phosphate test-kit can distinguish between 0.04 and zero? Myself, I'd be very nervous to get readings that low.

Thanks Schuby, My technique with po4
test kits is not the exact number that is read off the scale(as long as it’s within acceptable range), but the number that is consistent and not at zero. The last couple of years of great growth and color using same test kit (Tropic Marin) leads me to believe it’s not a nutrient issue.

It might not be bacterial and I’m open to all suggestions, so thank you.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if you're down for hail Mary's, but there was a guy on here a while back that mentioned witch hazel a one he threw at a similar situation. Maybe search for that thread.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my tank and I've never tried.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks Steph....I’ll be gone for a few days with work and I’m just going to ride it out since I can’t monitor the tank. I still have fish,scolys and some lps I want to keep happy while I regroup. I’ll read that thread on the road. Thanks again

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back