OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good news,

I was able to stop the rtn and only lost two years growth on a few colonies.. The few colonies had about 1 to 2 inches of tissue left on the rock and it’s already healed up and growing again. So, So, thankful! I really can’t tell you what stopped it though. I did a lot of water changes, carbon and bacteria. I did have painting done in the other room, but I was running carbon in the tank along with water changes after painting done. Scary........

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news,

I was able to stop the rtn and only lost two years growth on a few colonies.. The few colonies had about 1 to 2 inches of tissue left on the rock and it’s already healed up and growing again. So, So, thankful! I really can’t tell you what stopped it though. I did a lot of water changes, carbon and bacteria. I did have painting done in the other room, but I was running carbon in the tank along with water changes after painting done. Scary........
How do you mineralize your tank i.e. add alk cal etc ... ?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Naturalreef if it is any interest to you. I had a similar sort of thing happen to me. My alk dropped to about 6.7dKh for a day or so before I caught it and about 4ish days later I started to have the same problems that you are describing. The crazy part was that the LPS were unphased but all of my fast growers got hit hard. I lost two small frags and my big colonies had the peeling skin issue.

It is only now that everything has been up and stable that the damage is mostly been grown over. FWIW.

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Naturalreef if it is any interest to you. I had a similar sort of thing happen to me. My alk dropped to about 6.7dKh for a day or so before I caught it and about 4ish days later I started to have the same problems that you are describing. The crazy part was that the LPS were unphased but all of my fast growers got hit hard. I lost two small frags and my big colonies had the peeling skin issue.

It is only now that everything has been up and stable that the damage is mostly been grown over. FWIW.

Thanks Hudu, I’m always interested in hearing other reefers recoveries. Always learning something new. My alk is 7.5 and it was the first thing I checked. I cross checked with a Hanna and tropic Marin test kit and they were within .1

OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Everyone! Decided to reset my tank. Sps were still declining and I wanted to try and save some. Temporary home in a 20 long. Here is Max Nano #2. Just filled with fresh saltwater and two Nero 3 pumps on back wall since magnets are sealed. Started cycling today. More pics soon.
4D2538AA-4272-4E99-80E7-3AEC3D3F5B11.jpeg
1F24873C-827D-47D8-82CC-654CF1E93313.jpeg
3820B44A-ED08-47E8-9161-E6973AB14D8C.jpeg
83BF6BE3-9211-49A3-9FBC-85BA8275490D.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naturalreef

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi schuby,

Its hard to see, but their are two holes for fish to enter and leave. The middle of the rock structure is hollow. The acryllic shelf has 3 large holes on bottom so fish/crabs/snails can enter and leave as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back