Sad Day, My RK2 PE150 Skimmer just sold

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a chance to pick up a bunch of oversized equipment for a real steal last year. I thought it would be fun to hook up a skimmer rated for 28,000 gallons on my 1150 gallon reef and see how it performed. Well, it performed remarkably well. The very first change I noticed was, I have always battled low PH. (7.8-7.9) . The day I put the monster skimmer online, my PH went right to 8.3 and never ever moved. I monitor it 3 ways Seneye, and 2 separate PH probes from pinpoint. The second thing I noticed was water clarity, no matter how much food I threw at my reef, the skimmer would keep the water crystal clear. The tank remains to run between 2-5 on nitrates and 0.00 - 0.01 on phosphates. I'm not recommending that everyone run out and buy an oversized skimmer, but I think this year long test, showed a complete 180 degree flip on water quality after 18 years of this tank being set up. I'll be moving back to setting up my Percision Marine dual beckett skimmer until I order the correct size RK2 skimmer suited for 1150 gallon reef. I'll document the water quality changes over the next six months to see if the tank starts sliding back into its old habits with the monster skimmer removed. The skimmer is being moved to a commercial fisherman's shrimp and crab collecting facility in Washington State.
I think he's going to be very happy with his new addition.

IMG_5476(1).jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fascinating story! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating story! Thanks for sharing!
Exact prediction happened, it took less than 12 hours to go from a PH of 8.35( been that way for a year) to 8.09. Seneye alarm and email sent at 5 am this morning. The over sized skimmer has such a positive effect on stable PH.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see a detriment with your PO4 at 0.00 to 0.1? It sounded like you had good results with over skimming, but I am not sure the reason you switched back. Can you please share, I am thinking if I too should try and over-sized skimmer.

Thanks

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PM is a beast. I do not think that most people know how much these things can really crush the average needle wheel on the market. Also, they do a wonderful job of gas exchange. Did the PM help the pH at all? Just curious.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see a detriment with your PO4 at 0.00 to 0.1? It sounded like you had good results with over skimming, but I am not sure the reason you switched back. Can you please share, I am thinking if I too should try and over-sized skimmer.

Thanks

I did NOT see any detriment with PO4 that low. The reason I switched back is I never intended running a skimmer permanently that was rated for a 28,000 gallon tank on a 850 gallon system. The PH is holding steady at 8.0 instead of 8.3.........That is the big difference I notice with the RK2 skimmer gone. The RK2 was bought as an investment to resell.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That PM is a beast. I do not think that most people know how much these things can really crush the average needle wheel on the market. Also, they do a wonderful job of gas exchange. Did the PM help the pH at all? Just curious.

PH is back where it always ran. 8.0.
In 24 hours after turning off the Commercial oversized skimmer,(rated for 28,000 gallons) it dropped from 8.35 to 8.0.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us what your 5’ tall dual Beckett Precision Marine skimmer is rated for?
I believe around 1500 US gallons. I didnt realize they dont make them any longer. Went to the website. no longer there. HmMMMMMMMM

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you may invest in a RK2 skimmer rated larger than 1150 gallons?.
Yes I will be going back to RK2. I went an entire year never washing out a skimmer cup ( Auto washdowns on the RK2 ) And never once adjusted the gate valve after set up. All I do is wash this PM Bullet and everyday fight the gate valve for proper skimming. I could throw 5 lbs of food in the reef and the RK2-150pe wouldn't even know it. The PM shuts down with simple light feeding for an hour or so. Can't wait to get back to RK2 !!!!

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has me thinking now. I have a single Beckett skimmer now that I have been using since the late 90’s on my 180 tank. I was thinking about making it taller. The bottom section is 6” diameter about 18” tall and I was thinking about doubling the height. But I have access to a 8” diameter skimmer, that is currently set up as a single Beckett that I wanted to modify as a dual Beckett. I was going to wait until I upgraded my tank to modify that 8” diameter skimmer to a dual Beckett. But your experience here has me thinking that maybe doing the dual Beckett skimmer now might have other benefits. I often struggle to keep my pH above 8.0, even though I draw outside air for my skimmer. My old skimmer is no longer made either. MTC went out of business years ago.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubled my top off kalk time and PH is still dropping(KH from 9.1 to 10.2 now, PH still plummeting) ......Give me back my RK2 Monster skimmer. PH ran 8.3-8.35 24/7 for a year, 3:00 pm lights on since 11:00 ph at 7.84 and still dropping. I will never run a skimmer not rated 3X the recommended size. My new RK2 will be for a 3000-4000 US gallon system. I run 850 gallons.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely good information. You just don’t hear about using foam fractioners to control pH. I have about 400 gallons total volume in my system and my pH is in the 7.8-8.0 range. I can’t dump calcium hydroxide in fast enough to make much of a dent in my pH either. So where do you think the pH effect comes from in the skimmer? Injecting more air into the column or from longer contact time? Or both? I’m just wondering what your new skimmer will do that your old PM skimmer isn’t doing, to try to figure out what would be the best way to modify an existing skimmer to have an impact on pH. I realize your answer might just be speculation, and that’s fine.

Thanks for sharing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back