Sad Day

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you tim132. I don't have a QT setup yet, so I'll need for them to stay in the DT. IF cupramine doesn't harm them, I am fine with leaving it in for 30 days to ensure we are rid of the parasites. @Jay Hemdal tim132 had tagged you in this thread. You seem very helpful in the posts I've read, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Ed
Oh yeah I remember you saying that you're treating in your DT.

He's the man for sure Ed. Hopefully he can clear that up for you and I haven't made myself look too stupid! ;)

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I remember you saying that you're treating in your DT.

He's the man for sure Ed. Hopefully he can clear that up for you and I haven't made myself look too stupid! ;)
I really appreciate your help Tim, thank you!

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, pretty sure this is matching the reference (.5) but wanted a second opinion. Either way it should be close enough to be in the therapeutic range, right? Reference is the left. Thanks in advance!
IMG_8093.jpeg

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a purple and a yellow tang the week before the ban,
The day I saw the spot my heart sank I knew what I had and did everything I could to prevent it, unfortunately I lost them both, I had not other choice but to get my original fish in qt now they are eating and looking better whilst my dt runs fallow!
It sucks especially when you think you could have prevented it, but it’s part of the hobby and helps us learn so we can help others not to make these mistakes!
chin up and carry on!

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, pretty sure this is matching the reference (.5) but wanted a second opinion. Either way it should be close enough to be in the therapeutic range, right? Reference is the left. Thanks in advance!
IMG_8093.jpeg
Wish I could help you Ed but I use the Hanna Checker and have only used Salifert previously.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Zionas, thanks for your reply. We both run .25 and I generally observe the fish for a week or 2 before purchase, since I do not have a QT. My LFS is great, and holds them for me without a deposit. The clown was a fish I had him order for me and I took home a few days after he received it. That was back in August and had what appeared to be a mild break out 2 weeks later in the tank. Really didn't see anything since, up until 2 weeks ago and nothing was added to the tank. I'm guessing the parasite was present since August and just suppressed by the health of the fish up until recently. Fairly new to marine fish, but based on all the great input here, I believe that to be what likely happened.

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same with the Salifert mate. You just cannot be entirely sure without the Hanna, that's the problem.

It isn't cheap but I'll say it's one of the best pieces of kit I've brought so far!

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS hold fish in copper usually at less than therapeutic levels so all it does is mask any conditions they have until the fish is sold.

Then once in our care if quarantine isn't practiced, that's when any issues arise.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch sorry to hear that! What could have brought out the parasites?
I think it could have been aggression-related stress. The lion fish seemed to grow daily, and after being the most peaceful in the tank seemed to take some revenge. Which had the whole tank on edge. It literally happened overnight.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was the same with the Salifert mate. You just cannot be entirely sure without the Hanna, that's the problem.

It isn't cheap but I'll say it's one of the best pieces of kit I've brought so far!
Which Hanna testers do you own?

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the Copper HR so far Ed.
Hey Tim! How often do you test copper? I've been testing daily, but might be overkill? It's 19 degrees in NJ, so I'd be lying if I said boredom didn't play a role, LOL!

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short video of the trigger this evening. Sorry for the particulates in the water/video I have to wait a bit to do the water change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Short video of the trigger this evening. Sorry for the particulates in the water/video I have to wait a bit to do the water change.
Dont see video

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back