OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding is a sign of disease. Coral beauties arent the type of fish to hide imo.
Also 2 -3 weeks is about the length of time I start expecting disease to manifest unless it's velvet.
So when would I be safe to start getting new fish. Also I have a goby that came put today when I put a few sinking pellets in for him and ate just fine. Should I try getting him out and quarantining him for a bit?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, did you mean to say a salinity of 1.26?!?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when would I be safe to start getting new fish. Also I have a goby that came put today when I put a few sinking pellets in for him and ate just fine. Should I try getting him out and quarantining him for a bit?

The disease will remain as long as the goby is there. You would need to QT the goby and treat him and let the tank go fallow 45 days at 81 degrees if you want to eradicate disease.

Unless you QT future fish, you could end up in the same position.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The disease will remain as long as the goby is there. You would need to QT the goby and treat him and let the tank go fallow 45 days at 81 degrees if you want to eradicate disease.

I'd also like to add, since you have coral and other inverts. If you do raise the temp to 81, make sure you aerate well. It gets harder to breath in those higher temps. Personally, I'd just leave it lower temp and do a longer QT

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 81 degrees for 45 days on both tanks. I don't believe there is any issue with higher temps and most commonly kept coral. Some people actually run their tanks that warm. Mine is 80-82 in summer. Just bring it up over a few days.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

45 days is best case scenario at perfect everything. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

OP, overfeeding didn't kill your fish. Adding a sick fish did.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 days is best case scenario at perfect everything. Doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

OP, overfeeding didn't kill your fish. Adding a sick fish did.

Ya, need to be careful about transferring any water on hands or tools. Stir the sand and turkey blast the rocks. I did the 45 on two tanks and it worked wonderfully :) No harm in going longer except to an unhappy fish in QT perhaps. My understanding is 45 is actually longer then needed and already is a saftey net. I know it doesn't always work for some people but I don't know their husbandry or tank so I can't speculate why.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 81 degrees for 45 days on both tanks. I don't believe there is any issue with higher temps and most commonly kept coral. Some people actually run their tanks that warm. Mine is 80-82 in summer. Just bring it up over a few days.
I agree, I used to as well. Doesn't mean what I'm saying isn't true. I didn't say it was a problem, I said make sure you have good water movement.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway the point is. Pretty sure it's disease, I'd confirm if it's flukes using the method I gave you.

If you have not QT at all, just assume it's something even if not flukes and QT.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your loss. I definitely agree with @Hincapiej4 that this is likely disease. Deaths from poor cycling would usually be easier to pick up on and prevent. I think based on the timetable of the fish deaths, you dealt with either brook or velvet. Hiding is large symptom of these two diseases, as fish try to stay out of the light. Ich is impossible because you would've noticed more symptoms over a slow period of time. Best action is to go fallow for 45 days minimum and in the future, quarantine everything.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting something like ICH. Or even flukes since you didn't notice anything wrong.
Ich cor starters doesn’t kill, second ich doesn’t kill corals. Most likely too much in a new tank. Levels, ie, parameters don’t mean much when an immature system is highly stocked too quickly. There is much more to a reef tank then “good levels.”

at this point it would be best to clean tank let it mature while slowly adding livestock. A fish other week with a few corals mixed in to let the system balance.

Regardless, could been any number of things.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright lets go since you got the attitude I enjoy.

Ich for starters does kill, and I bet anyone here would shoot down that piece of misinformation.
Second, everyone knows ICH doesn't affect corals, but hey guess what? Nitrates do. And guess what, her's was high. Guess what else? Where does Nitrates come from? Ammonia, and what happens when something dies in your tank? Answer. It releases ammonia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 fish in an 80 gallon isn't too much. It's about right more is pushing it. But all the die off she had, it was def too much. Not QT anything says it was probably disease and caused the chain of events. Please use logic next time.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright lets go since you got the attitude I enjoy.

Ich for starters does kill, and I bet anyone here would shoot down that piece of misinformation.
Second, everyone knows ICH doesn't affect corals, but hey guess what? Nitrates do. And guess what, her's was high. Guess what else? Where does Nitrates come from? Ammonia, and what happens when something dies in your tank? Answer. It releases ammonia.
There is a difference in having a conversation and trying to be a jerk.

Ick doesn't kill in days, nitrates are not poison.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being new to saltwater fish keeping i have done a ton of research. Things were going amazingly well. I had a goby, 2 clowns, a mccosker wrasse, 3 pajama cardinals, and a coral beauty and several varieties of coral. Well 2 weeks ago I started a new job and missed a water change due to being away for training. Family was home but didn't do one they only fed them. My first day back I found my wrasse dead. So I pulled him and did some testing nitrates were quite high so I immediately did a water change of 25% and another 25% the next day. Sadly the next day my pajamas and coral were gone and now today my clowns are gone. All I have left is my goby and a cleaner shrimp and some snails. Any ideas where to go from here to recover this tank and start again? Should I drain the water and do a new start of cycling and all?
I had my nitrate over 200 and the fish were fine

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a difference in having a conversation and trying to be a jerk.

Ick doesn't kill in days, nitrates are not poison.
Naw naw. Your "for starters" sure made it a healthy conversation.

I never said ich kills in days. I actually said both ich and flukes can take some time at times.

Nitrates are not a poison, but high nitrates ALL OF A SUDDEN SHOWS THAT SOMETHING HAPPENED, MEANING AN AMMONIA SPIKE HAPPENED. WHERE DO NITRATES COME FROM? You guys need to work on your reading comprhension and recall. And high nitrates DO upset corals especially if they have just or ARE being stressed from any amount of ammonia. It's like you're dense or something.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why everyone is trying to be Dick Tracy here and solve this case.

Main variable here is: you went away, and left the care of your tank in the wrong hands - you have no clue how it was fed, if it was fed, if someone cleaned the glass with bleach and spilled it into your tank.. list continues. No one in your family will admit to any wrong doing..prolly wouldnt even if they were caught on camera.

Future tips... buy whatever you need for your tank to maintain itself for a min of 7 days. ATO, Auto Feeder are the two primaries. Then tell your family that at no point are they to touch the tank without your supervision.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back