Saddest thing..

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was down in the Clementon, NJ yesterday browsing in Aquarium Center. Saw a not so well healed family shopping for their first fish tank. Little 10 / 20 gallon aquarium. Plastic plants. All of the things that you expect on a brand new set up. Cute little statue. Then of course the young boy starts talking about he wants: a law mower blenny and a tang and where to find them. Didnt even actually know the full names...just a 'lawmower something' and a 'h tang'. Didnt even know the names so obviously not enough research was done other than a quick youtube video on '10 easiest fish' or 'fish to control algae'. I was heart broken because I knew that those poor fish would be dead by the end of the day. I tried to gently nudge them that maybe they should wait on the fish then the father got a little belligerent and told me to mind my business and that his boy wanted a fish tank. Given that I have no interest in engaging with the ignorant, I decided to do exactly what I was told and mind my business and left.

I really hope the peeps there did the right thing and tried to steer them away as well.

Great store by the way...if anyone is in the area, definitely recommend you check them out. Reasonable selection of corals. Little pricey but what can you expect with a bricks and mortars store. Overall..my go to place.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Was down in the Clementon, NJ yesterday browsing in Aquarium Center. Saw a not so well healed family shopping for their first fish tank. Little 10 / 20 gallon aquarium. Plastic plants. All of the things that you expect on a brand new set up. Cute little statue. Then of course the young boy starts talking about he wants: a law mower blenny and a tang and where to find them. Didnt even actually know the full names...just a 'lawmower something' and a 'h tang'. Didnt even know the names so obviously not enough research was done other than a quick youtube video on '10 easiest fish' or 'fish to control algae'. I was heart broken because I knew that those poor fish would be dead by the end of the day. I tried to gently nudge them that maybe they should wait on the fish then the father got a little belligerent and told me to mind my business and that his boy wanted a fish tank. Given that I have no interest in engaging with the ignorant, I decided to do exactly what I was told and mind my business and left.

I really hope the peeps there did the right thing and tried to steer them away as well.

Great store by the way...if anyone is in the area, definitely recommend you check them out. Reasonable selection of corals. Little pricey but what can you expect with a bricks and mortars store. Overall..my go to place.
That's my go-to store.
That's where I got everyone in my work tank.
I feel like their coral selection has really dwindled in the last year or so..
They have a heavy aiptasia population in their system, but I have found some great deals here and there!
The unicorn tang in their big frag tank is like a puppy, though!
I always have to go say hi

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you did what you could to help the situation. Hopefully the LFS can educate them and not sell them fish they know will not survive.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my go-to store.
That's where I got everyone in my work tank.
I feel like their coral selection has really dwindled in the last year or so..
They have a heavy aiptasia population in their system, but I have found some great deals here and there!
The unicorn tang in their big frag tank is like a puppy, though!
I always have to go say hi
Yeah..I agree their selection has shrunk lately and gotten a little expensive for my taste. I think I have only bought two corals from them (my favorite torch and a cheap blasto). Outside of that, I get my supplies from them as I want to support a local'ish business.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I definitely understand the sentiment of trying to reason with idiots.

I find it really difficult to let people know the reasoning in situations like this. People have a tendency of taking it personal; like you’re telling them they aren’t worthy enough to buy that fish.

I sold cars briefly and I remember the top sales guy would use a tactic like this to get people to buy the more expensive car. He’d show them the car with all the bells and whistles and then make a comment like, “this is too much car for you though”. So many people would be baited by this and actually buy the car just to prove to him that they could. All the while that’s exactly what he wanted.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I find it really difficult to let people know the reasoning in situations like this. People have a tendency of taking it personal; like you’re telling them they aren’t worthy enough to buy that fish.

I sold cars briefly and I remember the top sales guy would use a tactic like this to get people to buy the more expensive car. He’d show them the car with all the bells and whistles and then make a comment like, “this is too much car for you though”. So many people would be baited by this and actually buy the car just to prove to him that they could. All the while that’s exactly what he wanted.
I see that issue on this site all the time. People dont know how to engage in a logical discussion. (I was about to say 'anymore'...but let's be honest..have people ever been able to?) Too many things become person because of this. This is what gave rise to the trendy topic in the media of a 'micro aggression'. Oh well. One of the bright sides of the pandemic is that I get to pick and chose for whom I engage.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's being a bit harsh. I would say uninformed, not idiots.
What they witnessed happens EVERY SINGLE DAY here on these forums. How many posts do you see that say: "Look, what I bought, can someone identify it for me and tell me how to care for it?"
Should we start with "You're an idiot!"? No. We help them. We educate them.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd just randomly go up to a family and stick my nose into their business. I feel a reputable LFS should be the one informing them of their poor decisions.

Also, I'd like to ask @BroccoliFarmer what they meant by a "not so well healed family".

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they witnessed happens EVERY SINGLE DAY here on these forums. How many posts do you see that say: "Look, what I bought, can someone identify it for me and tell me how to care for it?"

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd just randomly go up to a family and stick my nose into their business. I feel a reputable LFS should be the one informing them of their poor decisions.

Also, I'd like to ask @BroccoliFarmer what they meant by a "not so well healed family".
The woman asked me where she could find a lawmower 'something or nother'. So was not a random act on my behalf.

Was trying to paint a picture of what I was dealing with while being delicate (as calling someone an idiot is less than helpful i agree). Let's put it another euphemistic way....if you did a web search for 'people of walmart', they might be on slide 2.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may be harsh but I don’t know how far off from reality it is. They started out as uninformed but it sounds like @BroccoliFarmer did his best to inform them to which they decided to disregard his information and continue. That is what makes them an idiot. I’ll never fault someone for being ignorant.

This idea that the LFS is the one to be responsible for setting them straight and that it’s none of your business is also a bit disingenuous. If you believe that someone killing an animal (or the potential killing) is a moral wrong then it’s the responsibility of anyone aware of the situation to rectify it. If you don’t believe it’s a moral wrong then by all means, don’t say anything. How many of us would intervene if we saw someone beating their kid in a store (moral wrong) and not wait for the store employee/security guard/police to act. I use this extreme example to illustrate my point but I think it is equivalent. Moral wrongs are wrong whatever the situation or context.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

at least the people on the forums are trying to learn and ask for the info. while these on the other hand help came to them and they refused it. they could've at least listened and appreciated his concern and not use his help if it did not change their mind. nowadays we use the word idiot to describe a person acting in a foolish way and to me the way they acted is indeed foolish.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like another post said this happens all the time. I see it at lfs almost every week. Some stores try to explain, others just sell what the customer wants.
One store owner told me its the people that dont know what they are doing that keeps me in business, sad.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be harsh but I don’t know how far off from reality it is. They started out as uninformed but it sounds like @BroccoliFarmer did his best to inform them to which they decided to disregard his information and continue. That is what makes them an idiot. I’ll never fault someone for being ignorant.

This idea that the LFS is the one to be responsible for setting them straight and that it’s none of your business is also a bit disingenuous. If you believe that someone killing an animal (or the potential killing) is a moral wrong then it’s the responsibility of anyone aware of the situation to rectify it. If you don’t believe it’s a moral wrong then by all means, don’t say anything. How many of us would intervene if we saw someone beating their kid in a store (moral wrong) and not wait for the store employee/security guard/police to act. I use this extreme example to illustrate my point but I think it is equivalent. Moral wrongs are wrong whatever the situation or context.
I for one...won't not intervene in a with someone beating a child. As much as my heart would break and I know it is the right thing to do...too many people with cameras, too many people willing to judge you in hind sight, too many opinionated people, too many lawsuits. In the end, once it gets past basic conversation..im out. I hate that I have to be this way...but we seen too many times where someone makes a split second decision and pays a very steep price for it.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but does their son like dead fish?

I am not sure they knew it was a saltwater fish by the description. Hopefully the store told them no.
right?
that just makes it a 100000 times worse putting a saltwater fish in a tap water tank with plastic plants and rainbow pebbles, probably squidwards house too.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right?
that just makes it a 100000 times worse putting a saltwater fish in a tap water tank with plastic plants and rainbow pebbles, probably squidwards house too.
Coincidentally enough...was Spongebob's house. And yes..they had some fruity pebbles. WAIT..were you there too?!?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I faced this a lot with my pet store. people telling me their tank was ready and I always ask for a water sample to help them be successful to find some filled the tank with aquarium (epsom) salt and even one with iodized morton salt.
Some are insistive and I hated to , but had to "Fire" a few customers - a term used for" we dont need you as a customer- youre a nightmare " and we can do without you.
There are some who are in a rush or simply dont listen abnd have high expectations of being successful.

Back to the OP story, the sad ending is a distraught das who comes back to the store with a sandwich bag containing dead fish and ready to pose blame at the store.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What frustrates me is that there’s an air of selfishness here from these ppl. “My son wants a fish tank,” like it’s owed to him RIGHT NOW b/c he wants it, and how dare you interfere. A more normal response would be to ask why you say that rather than just snap at you — b/c why on earth would your motive be to just stop a kid from having fish? It’s more likely you had a good reason for your advice.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced this a lot with my pet store. people telling me their tank was ready and I always ask for a water sample to help them be successful to find some filled the tank with aquarium (epsom) salt and even one with iodized morton salt.
Some are insistive and I hated to , but had to "Fire" a few customers - a term used for" we dont need you as a customer- youre a nightmare " and we can do without you.
There are some who are in a rush or simply dont listen abnd have high expectations of being successful.

Back to the OP story, the sad ending is a distraught das who comes back to the store with a sandwich bag containing dead fish and ready to pose blame at the store.

So your telling me I shouldn't have been using Morton Iodized salt to supplement my iodine this whole time.... :p

As I read the first couple posts, I had a feeling this post was going to take this route and sadly that the family mentioned probably doesn't realize the care requirements of their 'fish'.

Hopefully the store set them up and they listened since they wouldn't take any advice from you.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back