Saddest thing..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So your telling me I shouldn't have been using Morton Iodized salt to supplement my iodine this whole time.... :p

As I read the first couple posts, I had a feeling this post was going to take this route and sadly that the family mentioned probably doesn't realize the care requirements of their 'fish'.

Hopefully the store set them up and they listened since they wouldn't take any advice from you.
yes- if you use iodized Morton- no need to add iodine LOL

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I faced this a lot with my pet store. people telling me their tank was ready and I always ask for a water sample to help them be successful to find some filled the tank with aquarium (epsom) salt and even one with iodized morton salt.
Some are insistive and I hated to , but had to "Fire" a few customers - a term used for" we dont need you as a customer- youre a nightmare " and we can do without you.
There are some who are in a rush or simply dont listen abnd have high expectations of being successful.

Back to the OP story, the sad ending is a distraught das who comes back to the store with a sandwich bag containing dead fish and ready to pose blame at the store.
And unfortunately, if they indeed purchased a saltwater fish, I know for a fact that they do not provide any type of guarantee on SW.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's being a bit harsh. I would say uninformed, not idiots.
What they witnessed happens EVERY SINGLE DAY here on these forums. How many posts do you see that say: "Look, what I bought, can someone identify it for me and tell me how to care for it?"
Should we start with "You're an idiot!"? No. We help them. We educate them.

Having said that, I'm not sure I'd just randomly go up to a family and stick my nose into their business. I feel a reputable LFS should be the one informing them of their poor decisions.

Also, I'd like to ask @BroccoliFarmer what they meant by a "not so well healed family".
I don't know. I would say he was uninformed if he didn't go off on OP and actually heard what he had to say. What makes him an idiot is the fact he might kill the fish and doesn't care, and the fact that he wasn't willing to learn anything.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I would say he was uninformed if he didn't go off on OP and actually heard what he had to say. What makes him an idiot is the fact he might kill the fish and doesn't care, and the fact that he wasn't willing to learn anything.
Some people already know everything .
Imagine where society will be in 20 years from now .

if the op can’t offer advice on a fish , we all have a idea where things will end .
This post leads me to a question I was thinking of posting .
Regarding the cost of livestock increasing .
will this hobby be too expensive for the majority of society ?

will only the filthy rich be able to afford to buy that one fish and one coral frag ?
IMO these families making impulse purchases because Someone wants it . Or has a sense of entitlement that it’s owed to them . if that said fish dies along with the other 20 families seen in that store weekly .
Multiply that by every lfs and imaging the livestock loss …
I wonder why a yellow tang is hard to find and not a $20 fish .
I wonder why there are no more $30 colonies of corals .

I read awhile ago . why reef keeping is different comparing .
if you buy a dog , it dies … you go back and buy another for the same out come .
Why is that not acceptable but with fish and corals it’s normal

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrogant know it all people are everywhere …
They are best left to believe what they know and let nature prove them wrong from their own wrong doing .
The best lesson is self taught .

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if the op can’t offer advice on a fish , we all have a idea where things will end .

will only the filthy rich be able to afford to buy that one fish and one coral frag ?
IMO these families making impulse purchases because Someone wants it . Or has a sense of entitlement that it’s owed to them . if that said fish dies along with the other 20 families seen in that store weekly .

if you buy a dog , it dies … you go back and buy another for the same out come .
I agree with everything you are saying...but I doubt it will get TOO much worse (at least I hope). Laws of supply and demand are starting to kick in. Notice how many hobby grade / borderline commercial farms are starting up? Lot more people are getting in the hobby for profit as opposed to the hobby itself. Either way...things will start getting corrected. Either enough of the profit will be sucked out of it because too many suppliers or people will stop buying because it gets too expensive thus not supporting the prices. Obviously a lot more factors...we are just in a ridiculous up swing right now.

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that issue on this site all the time. People dont know how to engage in a logical discussion. (I was about to say 'anymore'...but let's be honest..have people ever been able to?) Too many things become person because of this. This is what gave rise to the trendy topic in the media of a 'micro aggression'. Oh well. One of the bright sides of the pandemic is that I get to pick and chose for whom I engage.
In my experince, it seems to be getting worse... Very scary to me.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ur deep in the hobby and hitting swaps and organizing local events and get togethers, u know who's in it for money and who does it for pure.love and joy and their own success. I.always tended to stay away or steer clear of the profiteers.
D

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ur deep in the hobby and hitting swaps and organizing local events and get togethers, u know who's in it for money and who does it for pure.love and joy and their own success. I.always tended to stay away or steer clear of the profiteers.
D
I agree .
and tend to do the exact same myself .

I worry I might be in too deep now.
having a reef through ups and down for 20 years …..
I couldn’t imagine not having one

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D
Sad that there are a LOT of profiteers now, especially on the coral side of things.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did what you can. If they don’t want help because of wants then that’s it. Would like to think ACC will do the right thing. Only there twice and mixed feeling so now I shop at TSM and Reefco as they treat and care to do what’s right
Is TSM even open? I am actually heading down that way in about 15 minutes. The website is under construction. would love to see what they gots.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may well end up too expensive...however lots of people nowdays seem to love debt. Or are at least oblivious to it... buy, buy, buy!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may well end up too expensive...however lots of people nowdays seem to love debt. Or are at least oblivious to it... buy, buy, buy!
The concept of digging in on thousands of dollars of debt on a hobby that you never truly recoupe your investment on astonishes me. Yet I own a sailboat and that money pit pales in cost to all except the most deep pocketed reefer.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is TSM even open? I am actually heading down that way in about 15 minutes. The website is under construction. would love to see what they gots.
They are changing stuff in-house and on website for faster turnaround times and more fish. they said new fish should be ready next month. I don’t think they are open I would call first

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back