Safe levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates

resist-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a currently doing a fishless cycle for my first saltwater tank. I see this as some kind of training camp to understand how to control the different variables of the tank.

I was looking for a chart to know what are the safe and toxic levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Opinions on this seem to vary a lot. And I would like to know a little more about that from people who have experience with reef tanks :)

Just so you know, I plan to slowly add a few invertebrates. After that a few hardy fish. And then maybe easy corals to keep.

TIA

Last edited:

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a currently doing a fishless cycle for my first saltwater tank. I see this as some kind of training camp to understand how to control the different variables of the tank.

I was looking for a chart to know what are the safe and toxic levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Opinions on this seem to vary a lot. And I would like to know a little more about that from people who have experience with reef tanks :)

Just so you know, I plan to slowly add a few invertebrates. After that a few hardy fish. And then maybe easy corals to keep.

TIA
Safe level of ammonia and nitrite for ocellaris clownfish is proposed to be 0.57 and 25ppm respectively: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10499-015-9965-9. Though different fish will react to ammonia and nitrite differently, I would say those are good ballpark figures to keep in mind.

Nitrate is well, a lot higher. A lot of confusion and different opinions here, because well, we don't really know: http://www.reefedition.com/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium/

I never have nitrates above 0 (or 'undetectable' at least) so I have never looked at it in any detail.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back