Safe to add a clown to my 35g?

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reef!

I got a 35g cube reef that has been up for 2 months now. Parameters are stable with nh3 and no2 being 0, no3 is around 15. Running a AquaClearHOB 110.

There are currently only 2 fish in the tank, a Midas blenny and a Yasha goby. There's also 2 hermits and a randalli pistol shrimp.
The goby and shrimp were added a month ago, and the Midas blenny was added 11 days ago.

I have a chance to rehome a juvenile clown, and I was wondering if I am safe adding a new fish just 11 days after my blenny. I was also wondering if I can add a clown now, and then introduce another one in the future using a acclimation box? Or should I just wait a little bit, and just get two clowns?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason to add the clown now, just monitor levels as you will of course see some change. Clowns are quite hardy too, but they are best added in pairs, one smaller than the other.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated up above there should be no problem adding the juvenile now but they are more at peace and act more natural if they have a partner to be with and make sure there is notable size difference between the two. Bigger one will become female and smaller will be the male

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated up above there should be no problem adding the juvenile now but they are more at peace and act more natural if they have a partner to be with and make sure there is notable size difference between the two. Bigger one will become female and smaller will be the male

I was originally thinking of getting a pair right away, but I'm being super careful/paranoid about everything, including bio-load..maybe I should just chill.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its safe to add a couple of clowns, or if you really want, wait another week, nothing bad happens in the hobby from waiting.

Personally I suggest to get 2 small juvenile clowns the same size. They will stay juvenile for a while and play like little kids, its very fun to watch them play. Then you get to watch them decide which one will become the dominant female and then watch them grow to almost double the size of the other one. Its a fascinating experience.

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally thinking of getting a pair right away, but I'm being super careful/paranoid about everything, including bio-load..maybe I should just chill.
Think of it this way, when you add the single clown, there will be a spike in your numbers, as your bio load will change, maybe small but they will be there. If you then wait and add another in a few weeks time, you will have another small spike. Adding them both together and managing a single event is easier on the fish and better for the pair longer term, plus if you do the math, adding them both together as apposed to adding them singularly will not double your extra bio load.

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it this way, when you add the single clown, there will be a spike in your numbers, as your bio load will change, maybe small but they will be there. If you then wait and add another in a few weeks time, you will have another small spike. Adding them both together and managing a single event is easier on the fish and better for the pair longer term, plus if you do the math, adding them both together as apposed to adding them singularly will not double your extra bio load.
Yeah that actually makes sense... I will go with a juvenile pair instead of a single clown. Not sure if I'm doing it today, or next week tho haha. Thank you!

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet.
Acclimation time. Wish us luck :p

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_185004.jpg
    IMG_20220706_185004.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220706_185001.jpg
    IMG_20220706_185001.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 39

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are lol I acted like I was feeding got both of their heads out of the water like dad I'm hungry

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_182221.jpg
    IMG_20220706_182221.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 37

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above... I always add beneficial bacteria every water change.

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really get worried about it you could always throw in some Microbacter7, Stability, or any other bottled bacteria meant for cycling
Exactly what I did!

Everything seems to be going great, they settled in nicely. The smaller one ate, the big one still didnt. Will post a video when I get home from work.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back