Safe to add seahorse

aceashburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited a 90 gallon tank with a clownfish, tang, and foxface. Since then I added a snowflake ell, some hermit crabs and snails. Is it possible to add a seahorse(s) to the group? Any other strong suggestion ons new tank mates?

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooooo sorry can’t, sea horses are very delicate creatures, they require a steady tank, and less aggression! The 90 on its own would be ideal! Once your tang gets to too big and have to upgrade

OP
OP
A

aceashburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noooooooo sorry can’t, sea horses are very delicate creatures, they require a steady tank, and less aggression! The 90 on its own would be ideal! Once your tang gets to too big and have to upgrade
Yes I was very surprised the tang was with the tank. I am not sure how long I will be able to have it.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any research on seahorses? They require very clean tanks (as in fish poop, not talking about nitrate) and low temperatures (less than 74F), as they are very susceptible to bacterial infections. The bacteria feeds off of the “dirt” in your tank. I doubt those tankmates will work. Seahorses need to be fed frozen mysis twice a day as well.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any research on seahorses? They require very clean tanks (as in fish poop, not talking about nitrate) and low temperatures (less than 74F), as they are very susceptible to bacterial infections. The bacteria feeds off of the “dirt” in your tank. I doubt those tankmates will work. Seahorses need to be fed frozen mysis twice a day as well.
Is is true some of those searhorses that are bred in Hawaii don't require lower temps but around 78F would be fine?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my dedicated seahorse tank at 72F. They are very slow eaters and quite messy, they are not competitive when it comes to food. Just trying to keep them fed in a mixed tank would be a major pain just to keep clean. Also, you need to be really careful if there are any corals in the tank. Some soft corals are fine, but seahorses hitch and can be severely injured by the corals. You also need to be very careful with power heads and wave makers. Those need to be protected so the seahorse tail will not enter the pump if they hitch on them. They are beautiful to watch, but they really need a dedicated system.

OP
OP
A

aceashburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beyond a seahorse, what else would be a recommended addition with the tang, foxface, clown and eel? What other fish? What about a starfish?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back