Safe to drill? (5mm glass 3 holes external overflow)

gblaszczuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 10 gallon shallow nano tank, setting it up peninsula style. I want to put the 800 modular marine external overflow box + a return line on the short side of the tank. This requires drilling 2 45mm holes (overflow) + 1 30mm hole (1/2 inch return bulkhead). The tank is an ada 60f (5mm non tempered glass).

I spaced the holes 1x diameter from the sides and almost 1x from the top (see picture).

Should I be concerned with 3 holes spaced apart like so on the short side of the tank (12"wx9.84"h)?
Also, since the glass is 5mm, is hanging an external overflow too much stress? I am planning on supporting the overflow box + adding supports for the plumbing so that most of the weight is not on the glass edge.

Thanks!

PXL_20230217_212004685.jpg

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people will not comment on drilling glass. You can, however, with caution, don't want to crack the glass. I have always had a glass professional do the job.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gblaszczuk

gblaszczuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

If anyone looks at this post, I was able to drill the glass without any issues. I recommend taking your time and going extra slowly.

I plan on supporting the external overflow box with stand + supporting the overflow pvcs to not put too much strain on the glass.

Upvote 0

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 10 gallon shallow nano tank, setting it up peninsula style. I want to put the 800 modular marine external overflow box + a return line on the short side of the tank. This requires drilling 2 45mm holes (overflow) + 1 30mm hole (1/2 inch return bulkhead). The tank is an ada 60f (5mm non tempered glass).

I spaced the holes 1x diameter from the sides and almost 1x from the top (see picture).

Should I be concerned with 3 holes spaced apart like so on the short side of the tank (12"wx9.84"h)?
Also, since the glass is 5mm, is hanging an external overflow too much stress? I am planning on supporting the overflow box + adding supports for the plumbing so that most of the weight is not on the glass edge.

Thanks!

PXL_20230217_212004685.jpg
Take your time, use a cordless drill, use a lot of water for lubrication …the sensitive part is at the end of the hole when your almost through…I’ve drilled glass but yes it’s always a risk. You can’t put a lot of pressure on it and you have to make sure you’re drilling straight. And use a very good glass cutting bit…don’t cheap out. Good luck…

Upvote 0

ThomasNanoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

If anyone looks at this post, I was able to drill the glass without any issues. I recommend taking your time and going extra slowly.

I plan on supporting the external overflow box with stand + supporting the overflow pvcs to not put too much strain on the glass.
Can you post some pictures of the overflow box attached? Did it require the support?

Upvote 0
Back