Safe to keep more than one Exquisite Fairy Wrasse?

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 125gSW, Sep 25, 2017.

1. 125gSW

125gSW Well-Known Member

I currently have an exquisite fairy wrasse from Africa but was wondering if I can add another one from a different region, i.e. Vanuatu. The tank is 6ft long and is 125gals. I have heard of aggression issues but I absolutely love the color/beauty of exquisite wrasses. Anyone have any experience housing more than 1 exquisite fairy wrasse?

Thanks

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I believe you have to keep them in pairs or 1 male with 1-3 females. Males will probably fight each other.

125gSW likes this.
  3. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

Negative Ghost Rider!

A pair will very likely become two males in time and that will not end well unless the tank is very large. Get males of multiple species you like rather than more than one of a particular species. Wrasse don't pair and the Cirrhilabrus, Halichoeres, and Paracheilinus almost always transition to males in our aquariums.

If you want to save money you can buy females as they will eventually transition to males and you get to watch the change. Some species are very hard to find as females though. The ones that aren't are the more expensive ones any way. Flame wrasse, Rhomboids are two that come to mind.

Now the fun part....picking out which species you like!

eatbreakfast, Maritimer and 125gSW like this.
  4. 125gSW

125gSW Well-Known Member

Picking is so hard lol. Any reef safe wrasses you'd recommend then? I wish I could house all the exquisite wrasses but by the responses that would be bad news lol

Also if I understood correctly, being in the same genus doesnt matter right? As long as not the same species, correct?

eatbreakfast likes this.
  5. spiraling

spiraling Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I'm sure @evolved will get on here - but you are correct. Mix fairies, mix em with flashers and possibly some others, but don't get a second exquisite.
    There is a sticky post about wrasses in the general fish forum with info about mixing genus. And here is your chart for fairies. There is probably a newer edition, but its the one I have bookmarked and almost memorized.

125gSW likes this.
  6. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Draft saved Draft deleted