Safety stop with Prime?

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am getting 3 zoster butterflyfish from diver's den tomorrow and was planning on using Safety stop rapid quarantine on them (two diff packets, one of formalin and one of methylene blue 30 min bath of each). I am concerned about ammonia in shipping bags. Does anyone know if I can add prime to the first bath of methylene blue to detoxify the ammonia? Or is this not necessary due to methylene blue treating ammonia burns anyways?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the answer for sure, but I personally never use an ammonia reducer with any medication. Too many variables/interaction issues to consider.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine your best bet is have water ready that matches the salinity PH of the shipping water. They can probably provide that for you before you even receive the fish, but always double check with what's in the bag. To match the temp just have them float in your QT tank. As long as those are matched then I would just move them over as soon as they arrive, then start safety stop.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back