Sail fin Tang - Zebrasoma veliferum, tank size/experience??

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
My LFS currently has a 3 or 4 inch sail fin tang locally caught from the barrier reef, I was wondering if anyone has had experience keeping them, care and tank size depending on growth rate.....and what is their captivity size? thanks :) :)

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has one in a 125 gallon tank with no issues. They can grow quite large...I saw a 9-10" specimen recently in an LFS. I would say that in a smaller tank, they won't grow as large. Also, I think they don't need quite the swimming range that regal tangs and other prolific swimmers require.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has one in a 125 gallon tank with no issues. They can grow quite large...I saw a 9-10" specimen recently in an LFS. I would say that in a smaller tank, they won't grow as large. Also, I think they don't need quite the swimming range that regal tangs and other prolific swimmers require.
thanks, yeah its 135 gallons so over 500 liters in Aus...its wide too so nice dimensions for swimming, thanks :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin can and will grow up to about a foot long, and do so rather quickly depending on feeding habits more than tank size. It would be a temporary addition, which wound quickly grow to the point of being a high bioload fish due to being a tang and a large one at that.

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while the depth from front to back is great, my sailfin as well as others i've read about are primarily lengthy swimmers and won't really "use" the front to back space for their type of swimming. Mine is in a 6ft 225G tank and swims non-stop, seriously, non-stop, along the length of the tank. they grow fast and are eating machines. Is your 135g a 60 in tank? if would be fine in that size for the short term if its a juvenile but as others have mentioned, the amount of time that will last depends on the other fish in the tank among other factors as well.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are you planning to keep?
nothing lse at the moment other than my curent fish....
1 x male bird nose wrasse
1 x moon wrasse
1 x female maroon clown
1 x male and female pair of yellow tale damsels
2 x blue/green chromis
1 x baby zebra moray eel

Sailfin can and will grow up to about a foot long, and do so rather quickly depending on feeding habits more than tank size. It would be a temporary addition, which wound quickly grow to the point of being a high bioload fish due to being a tang and a large one at that.
i also have a 50 gallon reugium, planted with a 2 inch coral rubble substrate with mechanical filtration, protein skimmer with weekly water changes too. Seeming he fits inside the palm of a hand i have some time up my sleeve....

while the depth from front to back is great, my sailfin as well as others i've read about are primarily lengthy swimmers and won't really "use" the front to back space for their type of swimming. Mine is in a 6ft 225G tank and swims non-stop, seriously, non-stop, along the length of the tank. they grow fast and are eating machines. Is your 135g a 60 in tank? if would be fine in that size for the short term if its a juvenile but as others have mentioned, the amount of time that will last depends on the other fish in the tank among other factors as well.
yes its a 6 ft tank with width and good height....yeah, i have a good feeding schedule with more small snacks often than big meals not as often. hopefully the fact that it doesn't have as much rock work as other tanks limiting sim space that will help tho i have rock for grazing.

thanks everyone :)

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep one in the tank but not for long term. Mine is currently in a 125 6ft and out grew it faster than realized. He's 4 and at least 8 inches.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have kept them in this size or smallet tanks but personally I would want more room if I was to get one. I saw one in a 12ft tank that was dinner plate size and it made the tank look a little small. It was also quite feisty.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just go with another tank fro that family like a scopas then.....i would want it to be happy in the long term

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller zebrasoma would be an easier option. I do like a scopas, it's the only tang I have. They don't have the wow factor of most tangs but if you look closely they are beautiful with their delicate spotting.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" sailfin in my 300. I got him a year ago when he was only 1". He seems to grow rather quickly and does swim constantly.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller zebrasoma would be an easier option. I do like a scopas, it's the only tang I have. They don't have the wow factor of most tangs but if you look closely they are beautiful with their delicate spotting.
I love my Scopas!

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 4" sailfin in my 300. I got him a year ago when he was only 1". He seems to grow rather quickly and does swim constantly.

I love my Scopas!
yes, i agree why pay $2000 for a black tang when you can get a beatiful scopas for $30!! they are very pretty too.....:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back