Sailboat with 20gal aquarium. Hi I catch my own fish because I live on a sailboat.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for 2years successfully. I change water every 3 days. I live in the Caribbean. This week I have brownish/ red on my coral. Anyway ideas. The only sick fish is my French Angel. I've used melaflex. No change after 6 days. Help please
Allie

20181021_091649.jpg
Thanks for sharing, comrade

OP
OP
Allee

Allee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, can you define sick? What symptoms? Behavior? Spots? “Dusting” on skin? Heavy breathing? Redness? Sores? Growths? Frayed fins? Scratching? Flashing? Hiding from light? Swimming in to powerhead?

Can you provide closer and clearer photos of the affected fish?

By the way welcome home to Reef2Reef, you will love it here! :)
Thank you! None of the above behavior. Angle frenchie has white spots between it's eyes. 2 fish has frayed fins. Treated tank w/PraziPro.
7days..Good. but French Angel spots
got worse..changed, sand,coral,water
100% Treating now with Melaflex7

OP
OP
Allee

Allee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You are in good hands. I just wanted to state that you are literally living my dream. Living on a boat in the Caribbean with a fish tank of fish you catch. Only thing you could add to my dream is an unlimited supply of bourbon.

I'm now re-evaluating my choices in life.
Plenty of rum of the island.

OP
OP
Allee

Allee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R... my first concern is that in two years you do not have coraline algae growth. Are the rocks relatively new to the tank? That would explain the brown color you are seeing. Others will be better at diagnosing the fish then I would.

patrick.gif
Hi:) same rocks, removed them for cleaning. We do it have the same system as normal hobbyist due to being able to change water every 3 days 50%
Lighting is not adequate any more, is that a possibility for the redish Brown on rocks? I think I have 2 issues

OP
OP
Allee

Allee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! None of the above behavior. Angle frenchie has white spots between it's eyes. 2 fish has frayed fins. Treated tank w/PraziPro.
7days..Good. but French Angel spots
got worse..changed, sand,coral,water
100% Treating now with Melaflex7
Thanks for trying to help, finally got tank back to normal. I also posted a pic of my sailboat tank.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad you are here... If you have any photos of the scenery where you live, feel free to share so we can live vicariously through you ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you have power - you’re halfway there
Is boat going to be stationery or in water?
Waves and currents would concern me unless you have a way of covering tank for this event(s)

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, let me just say how cool it is that you keep a reef in this manor.... that is absolutely epic. As for the reddish brown coloration on your corals, it could be from lack of light. It does take months for a coral with low light to show signs or symptoms of sickness. Other members here will be able to clarify the information for you, reef2reef is an important tool for me. The members here will be able to help you. Just pose a question. I'm sure it will be answered.
fish splashing GIF

You have been officially welcomed by the holy puffer water.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing this for 2years successfully. I change water every 3 days. I live in the Caribbean. This week I have brownish/ red on my coral. Anyway ideas. The only sick fish is my French Angel. I've used melaflex. No change after 6 days. Help please
Allie

20181021_091649.jpg
Hello and welcome to the channel.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back