Sailfin has Ich. Put him hospital tank or wait?

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
So my Sailfin Tang has some Ich spots. Not covered and you have to look pretty closely, but he does have it. He is active and eating well (frozen mysis, some clam, frozen spirulina). I have a hospital tank ready with CopperSafe in it, but its going to be a pain in the [censored] to catch him. I'd hate to stress him out.
Do you think I should wait and hope he fights off the Ich, saving him from the stress, or transfer him to the HT immediately, stressing him out in the process? My other option (not preferable) is to monitor him until he is lethargic by the infection, likely allowing me to catch him a little easier, and then transfer him, but when is it too late? and if he gets to that point, will the copper treatment be moot?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hold off is a never when it comes to disease and parasites as they only progress.
Any pics under white light to confirm what it is?

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go.
20210322_185045.jpg

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hold off is a never when it comes to disease and parasites as they only progress.
Any pics under white light to confirm what it is?

I mean.. some people say if a fish has a healthy immune system it can fight off some disease on its own just like humans.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My clown started showing Ich and I had the frozen food soaked in garlic cloves. Ich went away but not out of system obviously because I never went fowlr.

i have now a QT tank setup in garage for issues like this now. If you have a trap I don’t know, maybe monitor it to see if it goes away and if not your going to stress the fish by pulling it out anyway so . Make the decision and stick with it. Are you going to run meds ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean.. some people say if a fish has a healthy immune system it can fight off some disease on its own just like humans.

The problem with that is fish are not normally trapped in a box with the same parasite getting exposed over and over again. Some fish do develop temporary immunity (I forget the exact length but it was a University of Florida paper on marine ich), but I would not bet on an entire tank gaining some sort of herd immunity

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hard to see from the distance but can make out dots which do appear as ich. Not a parasite to debate with. I would place it in Quarantine and treat with coppersafe rather than copper.
WHEN TREATING WITH ANY FORM OF COPPER- DO HAVE A TEST KITS TO MONITOR THE COPPER LEVEL.

There are 3 things that fully cure Marine Ich: Hyposalinity, Copper, Fish transfer from tank to tank. Remove all your fish to the hospital tank and perform hyposalinity. Hyposalinity is the least stressful thing for your fish out of the 3 things that fully cure Marine Ich.
Do not perform this in your DT as you will kill everything else.
Another reef-safe method is using Polyp Lab MEDIC which is safe for display but treatment is 10-14 days
Assure fish has adequate oxygen (even an airstone will work) and the water quality is good.
Add selcon vitaminss and garlic extract to its' foods for stamina and immunity health

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!
So my Sailfin Tang has some Ich spots. Not covered and you have to look pretty closely, but he does have it. He is active and eating well (frozen mysis, some clam, frozen spirulina). I have a hospital tank ready with CopperSafe in it, but its going to be a pain in the [censored] to catch him. I'd hate to stress him out.
Do you think I should wait and hope he fights off the Ich, saving him from the stress, or transfer him to the HT immediately, stressing him out in the process? My other option (not preferable) is to monitor him until he is lethargic by the infection, likely allowing me to catch him a little easier, and then transfer him, but when is it too late? and if he gets to that point, will the copper treatment be moot?

Thanks!
Keep nori in there for it all day, to graze on, the small amount of ich it has will go away. At least try this before stressing it more.
If you put it in your hospital tank with copper and kill the ich, what do you think is going to happen when it goes back in the display. Will get stressed and get ich again, maybe worse.
How big is your display? If it’s less than 180 it will probably always be stressed

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see from the distance but can make out dots which do appear as ich. Not a parasite to debate with. I would place it in Quarantine and treat with coppersafe rather than copper.
WHEN TREATING WITH ANY FORM OF COPPER- DO HAVE A TEST KITS TO MONITOR THE COPPER LEVEL.

There are 3 things that fully cure Marine Ich: Hyposalinity, Copper, Fish transfer from tank to tank. Remove all your fish to the hospital tank and perform hyposalinity. Hyposalinity is the least stressful thing for your fish out of the 3 things that fully cure Marine Ich.
Do not perform this in your DT as you will kill everything else.
Another reef-safe method is using Polyp Lab MEDIC which is safe for display but treatment is 10-14 days
Assure fish has adequate oxygen (even an airstone will work) and the water quality is good.
Add selcon vitaminss and garlic extract to its' foods for stamina and immunity health
So when I first setup the tank, I did not know better and treated the entire DT with CopperSafe. My thought was to do the CopperSafe, wait a length of time until the tank was rid of Copper, and then start adding corals, etc. I did not realize that Copper was a pain to remove. So, yeah, not putting copper in the DT again.

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep nori in there for it all day, to graze on, the small amount of ich it has will go away. At least try this before stressing it more.
If you put it in your hospital tank with copper and kill the ich, what do you think is going to happen when it goes back in the display. Will get stressed and get ich again, maybe worse.
How big is your display? If it’s less than 180 it will probably always be stressed
None of my fish even touch the nori that I have (Forgot the brand). I put it on a clip and they pay no mind to it.
I agree with you when you say what's going to happen when I put the fish back in (more stress, more ich)
Tank size is 125G. I know it's a bit small for the Sailfin, but the thing was a beauty and I used confirmation bias to find the sites that say 125G is minimum tank size.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back