Sailfin Tang getting thin but eating well???

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin tang that seams to be generally healthy but not completely. I have had it for a few months now. I did quarantine with copper for 30 days. Never showed any signs of any visible disease. I have had him in the display for about 30 days now and he eats Nori like crazy along with Rods food and LRS. He eats alot every day but his body seams to be thinning. other fish in the tank Tangs, clownfish seam to be fat. Is there some type of internal parasite like a tape worm in a mammal that could be causing this and if so what would the treatment be?
Thanks in advance

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps post some pictures for the tang experts.
I'm trying to get some but with 1100 gallons of swim space its been hard to get a picture that shows anything. You cant really see it in a profile shot only can tell when looking from front or top. Hes a little thin mostly from the centerline and above. He keeps his belly fat by eating.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed it more often. If it’s eating like you say it is then you have nothing to worry about. It will gain weight soon

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to OP’s build thread and found a picture of the sailfin while it was in quarantine:

1268B3D9-B8FE-4153-95CE-7DD323BA4C65.jpeg

You did mention that this fish was in your DT for a month already, correct? Is it looking skinnier than this photo?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion: I can faintly see the lateral line, but it’s not in a critical condition. Do you have pellets? I don’t know of any fish that can’t gain weight with such a calorie dense food like fish pellets.

Foods like mysis and brine are mostly water. Seaweed is good, but they gotta eat a lot of it constantly to gain weight (picture how much lettuce we need to put on weight…it’s diet food! :p )

My FAVORITE food of all time is LRS frozen Fish Frenzy. It’s an extremely high calorie dense food with live probiotics and very palatable for fish.

But pound for pound, pellets are the number 1 most calorie dense.

I think a trio of LRS, pellets, and nori has you covered.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin tang that seams to be generally healthy but not completely. I have had it for a few months now. I did quarantine with copper for 30 days. Never showed any signs of any visible disease. I have had him in the display for about 30 days now and he eats Nori like crazy along with Rods food and LRS. He eats alot every day but his body seams to be thinning. other fish in the tank Tangs, clownfish seam to be fat. Is there some type of internal parasite like a tape worm in a mammal that could be causing this and if so what would the treatment be?
Thanks in advance
Fish do get tapeworms, and other worms as well that can cause emaciation. In many cases, as others have said, feeding more can balance out the calories taken in versus the calories going out to the fish and the worm. Fish live with tapeworms in the wild, for some, it is almost a normal condition. Tangs are not common targets of this though.

I'm not a fan of Nori as many people use roasted sushi grade nori and it lacks many vitamins. I prefer air dried algae, especially those of different algae species sold specifically for fish. My worry is that the tang could be gorging on low calorie nori and then not eating as much of the other, high protein, high fat foods you are feeding.

Jay

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the replies. I do feed LRS reef frenzie and the Sailfin goes crazy for it The Nori I feed is also LRS premium Seaweed. I also have Pellets from Neptune that they sell for their Auto Feeder. I will alter a little more Reef frenzie and add in some of the pellets and a little less algae. He seams very healthy and acticve. Eats all I give him so again thanks for the advice.

Thank You @Miami Reef for going out and getting that pic.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed LRS reef frenzie and the Sailfin goes crazy for it
I have both reef frenzy and fish frenzy and I compared the nutrition facts: fish frenzy is much higher!

Reef frenzy is still a good choice, but after comparing them I will exclusively purchase the fish frenzy version from the LRS brand.

All foods indirectly feed corals. In my opinion I feel “reef frenzy” is more for marketing than anything special they put for reef growth.

Anyway, I’m surprised that this fish is showing his lateral line! You are doing excellent with it’s diet! I’m very impressed!

Sometimes fish will just burn through a ton of energy. As long as it doesn’t look deathly thin you’re good! I know a lot of people really encourage obese fish, but I don’t think that either end of the spectrum (morbidity under/over weight is healthy).

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both reef frenzy and fish frenzy and I compared the nutrition facts: fish frenzy is much higher!

Reef frenzy is still a good choice, but after comparing them I will exclusively purchase the fish frenzy version from the LRS brand.

All foods indirectly feed corals. In my opinion I feel “reef frenzy” is more for marketing than anything special they put for reef growth.

Anyway, I’m surprised that this fish is showing his lateral line! You are doing excellent with it’s diet! I’m very impressed!

Sometimes fish will just burn through a ton of energy. As long as it doesn’t look deathly thin you’re good! I know a lot of people really encourage obese fish, but I don’t think that either end of the spectrum (morbidity under/over weight is healthy).
The local fish store has both Reef Frenzy and Fish Frenzy this weekend I will pick up some of the Fish Frenzy and try that for a while. The other potential issue may be that I have been out of town for work a lot lately and My wonderful wife does feed the tank but not sure if they are getting regular feeding when I'm gone. I'll also be asking her to be sure and get them a couple times a day.

Thanks again to everyone for the support.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this. Thank you all for the input. I changed diet to mostly Fish Frenzy and added a Neptune Auto feeder for when I'm away with Neptune pellets. Glad to say the Sailfin is looking much better and getting mush thicker in the mid section.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this. Thank you all for the input. I changed diet to mostly Fish Frenzy and added a Neptune Auto feeder for when I'm away with Neptune pellets. Glad to say the Sailfin is looking much better and getting mush thicker in the mid section.
Excellent!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 78 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back