sailfin tang help

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, could someone please help me with a tang I have just brought, he has a mark on his face that wasn't there when I brought him I think he might of caught it in a rock. Any help would be appreciated
IMG_20190824_162846.jpg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like he bumped some rock. I wouldn’t stress about this as it should heal up on its own.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help if you can share your parameters & tank mates. Without knowing the numbers, looks like it could have nicked itself against the rock. My experience with those tangs is that they are very skittish & will dart behind the rock work when anything approaches the tank. If it can’t find an opening within the rock structure, it will jam itself between rocks in order to feel secure & that will cause injuries. It’s best to provide it with large openings in the rock structure where it can dart to & feel secure. Plus the fish looks pretty large & from your previous posts where you shared shots of your tank, the fish will have a hard time finding an opening fast enough that it can fit through with ease. I suggest building a large vertical opening towards the back of the tank that will make it easier for it to access when it needs to find some security. Another thing would be to introduce some sea weed rubber banded to a rock, if you haven’t already, near that opening in order to entice it to swim out in the open. My 2cents. Hopefully it helps & good luck.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help if you can share your parameters & tank mates. Without knowing the numbers, looks like it could have nicked itself against the rock. My experience with those tangs is that they are very skittish & will dart behind the rock work when anything approaches the tank. If it can’t find an opening within the rock structure, it will jam itself between rocks in order to feel secure & that will cause injuries. It’s best to provide it with large openings in the rock structure where it can dart to & feel secure. Plus the fish looks pretty large & from your previous posts where you shared shots of your tank, the fish will have a hard time finding an opening fast enough that it can fit through with ease. I suggest building a large vertical opening towards the back of the tank that will make it easier for it to access when it needs to find some security. Another thing would be to introduce some sea weed rubber banded to a rock, if you haven’t already, near that opening in order to entice it to swim out in the open. My 2cents. Hopefully it helps & good luck.

Thanks for your input my parameters are currently
SG 1.021 matched the tank the fish came from as nothing else in there currently
Temp 25 degree
Ca 430 +/-
Mg 1200 +/
Dkh 9
pH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10+/-
Nitrite 0
There is some space for him the get in and out the middle of my rock work is on a platform 8-9 inches off the bottom of the tank with plenty of free space underneath, I have added seaweed but he doesn't seem interested he has happily eaten mysis though.
The picture is of the current setup of the rocks
IMG_20190818_114547.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure he has knocked himself on the rock, he hid for the first hour or so but is now swimming out and about more I'm hoping he heals ok should I worry about anysort if infection getting into his wound

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that it's probably just a scrape. There is a slight risk of infection, so I'd keep an eye on it, but chances are it will heal quickly. Awesome scape!

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree that it's probably just a scrape. There is a slight risk of infection, so I'd keep an eye on it, but chances are it will heal quickly. Awesome scape!
Thank you it's my first reef so other people's likes are appreciated wasn't sure if it was good or not took a couple of attempts

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i added my coral beauty 2 weeks ago he had a mark on his face looked like a bump he scratched himself on the rock it was gone within 2 days

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he seems to be fine, it hasn't got any worse still looks the same so I would say it hasn't got any better. He is eating well and swimming about

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my tang seems to of taken a turn for the worse. He had stared to hide in the rock work and sit on the bottom of the tank he has also stopped eating like he used to and the hole on his face seems to be worse too I'll try and get a picture but as he isn't swimming around it's not easy

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my tang seems to of taken a turn for the worse. He had stared to hide in the rock work and sit on the bottom of the tank he has also stopped eating like he used to and the hole on his face seems to be worse too I'll try and get a picture but as he isn't swimming around it's not easy

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back