Sailfin Tang sudden illness

Milliganj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon,

I have searched and can't seem to match symptoms to those previously posted.

I have had a sailfin Tang for approximately 1 year, it has never shown any signs off illness until now.

Symptoms are:
Heavy breathing or fast breathing.
Sat on the bottom of the tank.
Severe discoloration.
Stopped eating.

All symptoms started within 18/24 hours. No changes to water chemistry.
pH 8.2
Phosphate 0.03
Salinity 35ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Tankmates all fine, Clownfish X2, Hippo Tang, Emperor Angel, Bicolour Angel, Six line wrasse, False Gramma, File fish, Bubble tip Nem, Indo Red Starfish, Hermit Crabs, Snails, Soft coral, LPS and SPS.

Pictures and video attached.

Please direct me on the best treatment options for this fish. Thank you in advance

PXL_20220605_121747893.jpg

Attachments

• VID-20220605-WA0001.mp4
    4.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really strange. I just see some random scratches on its skin.
Are all the other fish 100% free of symptoms?
How long ago was the last new fish added to the tank?
It is unlikely to be a water quality issue due to how fast this developed.
Jay

OP
OP
Milliganj

Milliganj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really strange. I just see some random scratches on its skin.
Are all the other fish 100% free of symptoms?
How long ago was the last new fish added to the tank?
It is unlikely to be a water quality issue due to how fast this developed.
Jay
Thanks Jay, I am confident that it isn't a water quality issue also due to the fact that everything else is healthy and this fish in theory would be less susceptible to bad water than some of its tank mates. I have also calibrated my testers and had my LFS confirm my results.
The rest are all eating, I have closely inspected each and can see no other issues.

The last fish added on April 9th after 4weeks in QT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, I am confident that it isn't a water quality issue also due to the fact that everything else is healthy and this fish in theory would be less susceptible to bad water than some of its tank mates. I have also calibrated my testers and had my LFS confirm my results.
The rest are all eating, I have closely inspected each and can see no other issues.

The last fish added on April 9th after 4weeks in QT.
Well, I know it sounds lame but this fish may have injured itself, or developed some issue that pertains just to it - heart problem, etc.
Jay

OP
OP
Milliganj

Milliganj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I know it sounds lame but this fish may have injured itself, or developed some issue that pertains just to it - heart problem, etc.
Jay
Thank you for your help. This fish has just died unfortunately. I will keep a close eye on its tank mates to be sure but your suggestion is probably the most logical unless it has had symptoms I have missed.
Strangely now dead it looks like the skin and colour is pealing off.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your help. This fish has just died unfortunately. I will keep a close eye on its tank mates to be sure but your suggestion is probably the most logical unless it has had symptoms I have missed.
Sorry about your loss - and agree - watch your other fish carefully - I could not access your video - but I would wonder about 1 - injury - followed by a bacterial infection 2 - something brought in (parasite, etc) - from the fish you added April 9.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. Fish can decompose very quickly once they die - color changes within an hour or two.

roberts9108

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how long did he die after you noticed his hard breathing? We have a sailfin tang who looks like he is breathing hard, but he's still eating fine. Yesterday evening he seemed to be acting a bit out of the norm, but this morning seems to be swimming normal. All the other fish in the tank are fine and healthy. We have 2 clown fish, blue hippo tang, coral beauty and a skunk cleaner shrimp. All of them get along with eachother.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, how long did he die after you noticed his hard breathing? We have a sailfin tang who looks like he is breathing hard, but he's still eating fine. Yesterday evening he seemed to be acting a bit out of the norm, but this morning seems to be swimming normal. All the other fish in the tank are fine and healthy. We have 2 clown fish, blue hippo tang, coral beauty and a skunk cleaner shrimp. All of them get along with eachother.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The two cases may or may not be from related issues. If you want, you can start your own thread and the Fish Medics will take a look and see if we can help. Here is a link to information about that:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...sease-treatment-and-diagnosis-section.775547/

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back