Sailfin Tang with HLLE

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have had a Sailfin Tang since last winter , he has grown great but he got HLLE about four months ago. I haven't used any carbon since I saw him with it , he looks to be slowly healing. He eats Nori , Mysis , Pellets , Scallops , basically anything I feed the tank. He is very thick and the king of the tank. Currently in 110 gallon and will be going in a 180 gallon soon. Before I got him he was only in a 55 gallon tank. I have attached some photos, of anyone has any pointers or advice please let me know.

PXL_20201207_230934933.jpg PXL_20201207_230926988.jpg PXL_20201207_230922255.jpg PXL_20201207_230934933.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be aware, but not all nori is created equal. Go with the air dried nori for aquariums as opposed to the roasted sushi nori.
Sometimes there is no smoking gun when it comes to carbon use and HLLE, but there often is if you dig deep enough. For example, we had a quarantine system that had carbon on it many years prior, but not since then. HLLE would still develop in the fish, we tore the tank down and found little piles of carbon dust in an area of the sump.
Jay

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be aware, but not all nori is created equal. Go with the air dried nori for aquariums as opposed to the roasted sushi nori.
Sometimes there is no smoking gun when it comes to carbon use and HLLE, but there often is if you dig deep enough. For example, we had a quarantine system that had carbon on it many years prior, but not since then. HLLE would still develop in the fish, we tore the tank down and found little piles of carbon dust in an area of the sump.
Jay

I have been using Two Little Fishies Nori , I find it holds up well in the water and the fish really love it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure good water quality and lessen amount of carbon if you’re using it
Also focus on diet which plays a part in HLLE
FEED at minimum:
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Small plankton

add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods 2-3 x per week

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try some LRS herbivore diet , very expensive so it won't be a full time food , I can't afford to spend $21 on 8 oz

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back