OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! tons of DIY. Tell me about the raspberry pi controlled water station. How will you be using that to control it? Electronic valves??

Building my own controller would be out of the question but my father in law is big into this type of thing (Raspberry pi projects not aquarium related) Among others. I'm about to start building my water mixing station and wouldn't that be cool to press a button and out comes fresh or salt or refills mixing container.

A series of electronic valves will be controlled by the pi. What i have setup is a system they will fill my container for a set period of time, circulate said water to avoid it getting stale, drain into the mixing container, mix salt, bring to temp and circulate for times i need to hold the water. I have two out valves that either dump RO or SW to a hose line for filling. I also have a dosing pump that fills a test cup for me to check salinity.

What i havent figured out yet, is a way to add salt to the container to get close enough to be at the desired levels. I am working on a screw drive/timed system to work that in for me. But that will be a year out at best.

I will try to get some pics tonight, just know that this is a joint effort so the progress is not where i want to be before i start sharing to much LOL.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A series of electronic valves will be controlled by the pi. What i have setup is a system they will fill my container for a set period of time, circulate said water to avoid it getting stale, drain into the mixing container, mix salt, bring to temp and circulate for times i need to hold the water. I have two out valves that either dump RO or SW to a hose line for filling. I also have a dosing pump that fills a test cup for me to check salinity.

What i havent figured out yet, is a way to add salt to the container to get close enough to be at the desired levels. I am working on a screw drive/timed system to work that in for me. But that will be a year out at best.

I will try to get some pics tonight, just know that this is a joint effort so the progress is not where i want to be before i start sharing to much LOL.
Understood, sounds like it'll be amazing!

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really not ready to shown this off yet, but here is the WIP.
Understood, sounds like it'll be amazing!

381b8ae00d7104160e8418cfb0de8b7b.jpg

a1bb0bc70f472074d1e985fdb7bfacf1.jpg

d7edae19edf1e9ea0ee2725fbec997e2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to work on the tank again last night and made some progress. However, i did get a little distracted by the tank itself and decided to take some pics for future comparisons.

White Zombie Rock:

0a72a1cf63b0f4e6e00f59c3f24703d1.jpg

Love these polyps, but not as much as i love this mushroom. It looks like i may need to separate them.

db3097445635dc866134ab7833351c03.jpg

The polyps are still adjusting to the light and their new home, but this is my zoa mountain.

4b36b8c57d55bdf587a350acdc3a3557.jpg

These little guys always peak my interest. They dont look like much in the white light, but look like they are glowing in the blues.

2f6e9fa00f37b55c9e398251ef60b0d0.jpg

I am going to be sad when i have to give this fish back. Beautiful colors.

a8ad371f63e0bac3f4ede61795ca505f.jpg

Reef safe puffer? Yup, never nipped a single coral.

163b546593d00568ef8ecc33d69f3ce5.jpg

Where is my food??? All the critters getting excited when i come near the tank

3f96073f3d123ab0bd01df3a501a9227.jpg

Got one of the batteries mounted up and ready to rock. Now i just need to buy the replacement for the other one.

4082c7d34a228b49108c0dff9194eb19.jpg

Started switching everything over to the new box. This is just a rough draft and i mixed up some dimensions on it, so it looks... meh... but it will work while i finish the drawings for the new one :D

7188bc120892a25f5bca438fba6ea3b7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So plans changed a bit for me this weekend. I entered a charity raffle with the expectation of donating to charity, only to win the raffle. So I picked up a Uranium Bounce on Saturday and then worked on the tank tonight.

So I am very unhappy with my progress and how some of this did not come together as expected. So I am going to allow this to look like it does until I get some extra coin and time to redo all of the wiring. This will also most likely include cutting out all the excess wire and soldering into shorter pig tails. We will see.

But for now, here is the current state.

87b18f7df0c05bdd7c177fb344e86ef6.jpg

d6791a7bfeea66f4651d87868da7cb86.jpg

6dc5eb0e01873b627aba5252438c5ce6.jpg

d47e333d6b0a301b4d9c1f6a1253d811.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks good to me

Without wishing to sound ‘thick’ what’s a Uranium Bounce ?

Thank you :D It would probably change your mind if i were to show you behind the box insert HAHAHA. But it is coming along and i appreciate the comment

Not at all, i actually wasnt aware of them before to long ago. They are a species of mushroom that is fairly slow growing that has a cancerous form of bubbles on it. These bubbles glow in a "uranium" like color. So they come in variations of colors and sizes, commonly referred to as "bounce" mushrooms.

They typically retain for around 2-250$ and can be found in auctions for around $180. I donated $10 and got it :D

OP
OP
saintsreturn

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your wire "mess" looks pretty good to me!

Thank you! Long way to go before i am happy with it, but it will get there. couple notes on why i am unhappy:

1) needed help installing and went off my test lines, which lead to a 1/4" shortage in my gap, making it so the front plate no longer fits (easy fix but need another set of hands)
2) front plate was measured in a hurry so i decided to try to cut and fit... looks sloppy now, so i will speed up the custom mount i am having made
3) loooooooong wires for harnesses made a rats nest behind the plate that is blue. I will either have to run and tie or cut and seal to make them fit cleaner and be accessible in the way i want
3.a) I may rebuild the box now that the wires are off the gound and build a false floor to tuck everything in neatly, thats TBD though.
4) Tight fit of the box and the rails prevents the smooth slide of the box i expected and does not allow the soft close action i wanted... because its cool lol...
5) I tend to be over critical of things i see that no one else does HAHA.

seriously though, thank you :D

Back