Sales forum has gotten out of hand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reporting anything beyond my income tax from my job to the government is a waste.

Taxation is theft by definition
Whatever - Its not like I write the tax code. You can do what ever you want.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm also interested in the bartering rule.
Lets say I buy a car (black), a friend buys the same car (red). we both pay taxes on them.
If i want to trade with him because I prefer red, we both still need to pay taxes again?
@lynn.reef.nerd this is my understanding:
the irs wants you both to report all trades worth $600 or more on form 1099-B and all trades on your income tax returns, but whether it is a taxable event will depend on your cost basis for the car you each traded. If you had depreciated your car to zero, you would have taxable income equal to the fair market value of the car you received (and could start depreciating the "new" car on your next tax return if you use it in your business). if both cars were worth exactly the same and your cost basis (what you paid for it less any deduction you took on the car in past tax returns ) was equal or greater than the trade value, you would have no taxable income.

also not an accountant, but i did once sleep in a holiday inn express

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd this is my understanding:
the irs wants you both to report all trades worth $600 or more on form 1099-B and all trades on your income tax returns, but whether it is a taxable event will depend on your cost basis for the car you each traded. If you had depreciated your car to zero, you would have taxable income equal to the fair market value of the car you received (and could start depreciating the "new" car on your next tax return if you use it in your business). if both cars were worth exactly the same and your cost basis (what you paid for it less any deduction you took on the car in past tax returns ) was equal or greater than the trade value, you would have no taxable income.

also not an accountant, but i did once sleep in a holiday inn express
That makes more sense.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And seeing that we as the human race are killing all of the coral in the oceans little by little, but I do not for see this happening any time during our lifetime.

It is time for everyone to start thinking, in terms of
when all the coral in the ocean die we are the only people that will be able to help re-populate the oceans with corals someday when conditions are favorable once again…..if ever again
Though there is some evidence that in certain areas (which seem to me to relate more to pollution being dumped directly into the ocean - as compared to warming - that coral is dying - there are many articles suggesting regeneration that is much faster than was expected. I am not of the opinion (hoping that there will not) that there will be any coral left in the ocean at some point. If that happens, God forbid, I would not assume that repopulating the ocean with tank raised coral would be possible - hopefully it's not coming to that. The article is only for interest - not to promote a climate, etc debate:) https://www.aims.gov.au/information...ing-reefs-decades-faster-any-other-coral-type

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is lame. No obligation for the crew to do shoot. Buy what you want. Sell what you want for whatever price seems fair to you. If you’re in the Lake Tahoe area you can pick up a free classic green hammer with purple tip and neon green caulestrea. Donations are welcome. Cash or trade. These corals were grown from 1 or two heads years ago. They might not be the most desirable corals, but they’re a gosh dang delight in my eyes. I could use some more space.

Attachments

• 0878966D-F1CF-4B7B-A5C2-14504B4B23B9.jpeg
    0878966D-F1CF-4B7B-A5C2-14504B4B23B9.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 34

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all lost me when the mods showed up at page 4 but Well done to all for making it to page 13 without getting it Locked!
This thread isn’t even a thing. I don’t want to be a square. It’s really just a request from an individual that wants the stuff we all want at the best price. If I knew I could get the return on a potential loss from a lost coral, I’d be in. I gave this coral to a friend and I’ll soon give another frag to a local that I know can take care of it. I’d be willing to give another frag to the right person knowing that if my tank crashed, I could get that same piece back.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread isn’t even a thing. I don’t want to be a square. It’s really just a request from an individual that wants the stuff we all want at the best price. If I knew I could get the return on a potential loss from a lost coral, I’d be in. I gave this coral to a friend and I’ll soon give another frag to a local that I know can take care of it. I’d be willing to give another frag to the right person knowing that if my tank crashed, I could get that same piece back.
Ha. I've seen "this thread" not make it this long, way too many times.

I was sincere in the congrats.

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha. I've seen "this thread" not make it this long, way too many times.

I was sincere in the congrats.
I hear ya. You’ve got a great thread. I’m following. l shouldn’t have linked you in my reply. My bad.

Attachments

• IMG_2840.MOV
    20.7 MB
  • 9CB61C38-A588-497C-81BF-073A3727C98B.jpeg
    9CB61C38-A588-497C-81BF-073A3727C98B.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2840.MOV
    20.7 MB

CubsFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My internet was being lame and posts didn’t happen as fast as I wanted. Maybe double and triple posts. Oops.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prices will come down for everyone as soon as there is more supply than there is demand

Keep thinking this...

Everything is nuts right now...

Our old house we bought for $390 in 2009. Sold for $690 in 2019. Houses on the street are now $1.4.

Completely renovated the next house in a small town West of Austin next. Bought for $175, sold last month for $700.

House we just bought back in Austin at the end of 2022 was $800, family bought it new in 2015 for $500.

I was flat out told by a pool builder to just wait unless we absolutely need it. Basic of basic pools is $100 now. We built a crazy pool in 2016 for $60 lol

Just keep thinking stuff is going to cool down and then see we spent $200 at the grocery store on nothing......

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep thinking this...

Everything is nuts right now..
Just keep thinking stuff is going to cool down and then see we spent $200 at the grocery store on nothing......
You’re telling us!
Have you seen what online fish retailers are selling livestock for !!!!!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back