Sales forum has gotten out of hand

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to find a local reefing club
Me too! Live in southeast AL and there isn't even a LFS that stocks marine/reef stuff...i'd have to drive at least 2 hours to nearest store. Online is my only option so I've only ever purchased corals via live sales here on R2R....they are fun for sure, but i always end up spending more than originally planned for and sometimes reach for a coral im not ready for. I truly wish there was a reefing club in Dothan, AL....maybe one day....until then, R2R live sales are about all i know

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see both sides and I have even had a similar thread to this (with regards to the naming and pricing game vendors have) I see what the OP shows as I can buy your $200 torch on here or I can buy it in person from my LFS with a 7 day gurantee

That said, if someone wants to charge $200 for the same torch I can get locally, so be it. There’s someone who’s going to buy it. I will also say, I’ve seen a decent amount of the other side of the hobby where people are giving away free or low priced frags on here. The issue seems to be local pick up only. No one (or very few) seems to be willing to risk shipping a free coral (and I personally can’t blame them) due to risk of DOA etc. If all im paying is shipping, I have no issue if something arrived DOA but there’s plenty of people that would throw a hissy fit because the “giver” didn’t do something right to their expectations.

@revhtree I personally would love to see a user giveaways forum (either separate or sub-forum) with the condition that people understand essentially a no gurantee type policy for that situation

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys think that's appropriate? I'm not sure.

I do understand that retailers set the price point, but my argument is against us following that same pricing in the forum when selling directly to each other.

Of course it's appropriate - the info is already there - I'm asking you to connect the dots. My point is, I don't think what you are saying is actually happening at any appreciable scale. I can speak to this as I frequent the sales forums and price-check frequently, on both live and dry goods.

And, the price-point argument is valid, as long as the products are actually in stock at the supplier. As soon as it's out of stock, the equipment is worth more as far as I'm concerned (yes, I have paid above retail on certain things when they have been out of stock at normal at normal retail supply chain). I don't support this exercise necessarily, but I will pay a premium to have something now vs waiting for our retailers/wholesalers to update their TBD.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see both sides and I have even had a similar thread to this (with regards to the naming and pricing game vendors have) I see what the OP shows as I can buy your $200 torch on here or I can buy it in person from my LFS with a 7 day gurantee

That said, if someone wants to charge $200 for the same torch I can get locally, so be it. There’s someone who’s going to buy it. I will also say, I’ve seen a decent amount of the other side of the hobby where people are giving away free or low priced frags on here. The issue seems to be local pick up only. No one (or very few) seems to be willing to risk shipping a free coral (and I personally can’t blame them) due to risk of DOA etc. If all im paying is shipping, I have no issue if something arrived DOA but there’s plenty of people that would throw a hissy fit because the “giver” didn’t do something right to their expectations.

@revhtree I personally would love to see a user giveaways forum (either separate or sub-forum) with the condition that people understand essentially a no gurantee type policy for that situation

@Reefing102 + @Asagi - What are you waiting for? Post your free coral thread on the selling forum, and charge only the price for packaging and shipping.

If you truly want to provide this service to our reef brethren, put up a "Free Coral" thread on the FS forum. Exponentially more impactful to the market price-point than a discussion, is putting these up for free on the bards. Availability goes up, demand goes down, and requisite pricing on those corals will follow suit. It is the nature of (all) business.

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think we kind of belong to a culture now in this hobby that just lends its self well to selling off pieces of what we have to at the very least maintain our own rapidly growing hobby expenses. But in doing so have created this environment where almost everyone is a vendor of some sort. Like a "vender world" and by that I mean I don't think there really are too many bonafide Hobbyists out there any more.

Wheather that's good or bad is debatable, but it's the environment we have undoubtedly invented for ourselves. I mean Gary at reef pets talked about total market saturation 10+ years ago, and look where we are now. lol.

And I know. I am a vendor, totally part of the fray...

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam's response above indirectly sparked my additional thought:

What the OP (in a different mechanism) is describing, is not limited between retail suppliers and "hobbyists" - I see it happening frequently between vendors.

OG Price 1.PNG

OG Price 2.PNG

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we kind of belong to a culture now in this hobby that just lends its self well to selling off pieces of what we have to at the very least maintain our own rapidly growing hobby expenses. But in doing so have created this environment where almost everyone is a vendor of some sort. Like a "vender world" and by that I mean I don't think there really are too many bonafide Hobbyists out there any more.

Wheather that's good or bad is debatable, but it's the environment we have undoubtedly invented for ourselves. I mean Gary at reef pets talked about total market saturation 10+ years ago, and look where we are now. lol.

And I know. I am a vendor, totally part of the fray...
Blame Battlecorals = True if Corals =//= Bright

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
While I do see what you are saying, and there are always flippers and folks taking advantage of someones good will,

I've had multiple people message me trying to buy ALL of my yellow Fiji leather frags (of which, I am currently sold out btw) that I have posted and asking if they can buy any others that I may not have posted. I wonder why??? Lol.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had multiple people message me trying to buy ALL of my yellow Fiji leather frags (of which, I am currently sold out btw) that I have posted and asking if they can buy any others that I may not have posted. I wonder why??? Lol.
Obviously it’s because you sell them for such a ridiculous price that it makes them feel rich just buying them!!!

obviously not to sell them of course.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I for one love the sales forum, you cant find a better place to buy dry goods and hardware at affordable prices thats for sure. And ive personally bought several corals and shipped for reasonable prices.

Same. 90+% of my livestock originally came from the classifieds here. While there are definitely some that shoot foe the stars with their asking prices, there are PLENTY that price things very fairly/below "market value".

To add to that, when I buy from another hobbyist I've rarely, if ever, had anything come in with any pests. I think it's just easier for a hobbyist to stay on top off that kind of stuff when they only have e one or two tanks than it is for a vendor that has multiple systems with livestock coming in and going out constantly.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get where you are coming from, but if people are willing to pay those prices to other hobbyists, they will continue to sell at those prices.

Personally, I generally do not frag stuff to sell, but I have sold a few frags locally when I have had a few accidental frags, but I generally sell most of them for $10. I have also sold a couple of 6-8 in colonies of nothing special for around $40 to make room in my tank for something new. I am not trying to make money at it, but I don't mind a couple bucks here and there to put back into my tank.

I have to chuckle any time I hear someone mention "frag swaps". I don't know about your area, but around here they are just a group of coral vendors selling corals at market prices. Swapping is highly discouraged, and must take place in the parking lot.
Wow this is exactly me. Last frags i sold were $10. And frag swaps are local vendors but you can find deals.

I filled my tank up from a local show.

I just laugh at the prices and move on. My tank looks just as good as people spending big money on corals. I have 5 Euphyllia including a NY Nicks that i got in a mystery box for $90. By far the most expensive coral in my tank. No need to pay that big money for pieces if your willing to shop a little. Most of my coral came from local hobbiest, an awesome LFS and his auctions and frag swaps.

And those flash sales are joke never wasted a single minute of my time on them.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. 90+% of my livestock originally came from the classifieds here. While there are definitely some that shoot foe the stars with their asking prices, there are PLENTY that price things very fairly/below "market value".

To add to that, when I buy from another hobbyist I've rarely, if ever, had anything come in with any pests. I think it's just easier for a hobbyist to stay on top off that kind of stuff when they only have e one or two tanks than it is for a vendor that has multiple systems with livestock coming in and going out constantly.
I completely agree, I’ve bought dozens of frags from hobbyists and rarely and I mean rarely have pests.

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly keep LPS and try not to frag them because I do like the look of big colonies. For overall tank health I occasionally will (to stop two from stinging or save heads that are getting shaded out at the bottom).

When I do frag them, I’ll usually bring them in to my LFS for store credit so I don’t have to worry about shipping or people coming to my house. Its allowed me to get corals I would have otherwise never been able to afford.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is how I approach buying livestock. If I like it and can afford it I buy it. If I don’t like it I don’t buy it. If I like it but can’t afford it I don’t buy it. It’s been working for me in this hobby for 19 years.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back