Sales forum has gotten out of hand

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Independent sellers with zero overhead, possibly no company structure (LLC formation, etc) and no storefront (digital or otherwise) are charging at or above market for livestock.

I hope everyone understands that the heart of this hobby are in person frag swaps and below market peer to peer sales in a digital setting. LFS visits and online retailer shopping is also fun, BUT not what makes the community.

All of you are ruining the market. Importers and retailers will up their prices to follow this trend.
When factoring in that I can make more money selling on here with still charging 50$ to ship compared to selling locally for way cheaper. For example I have more people than I have available wanting to buy Frank mushrooms for 225 shipped. I can’t get anyone local to buy for 175 (equivalent to selling online since I don’t need to pay shipping). Why would I sell local for below value when I can Just come on here and sell instantly? People local expect to
Im just scared to buy anything ove $100 just to watch ch it die in my tank. Glad everyone else has success in all corals. Ive had to many coral just rtn for no reason to spend big money.

For example I just bought a $65 goni frag thats just withering away in my tank but looked great at a local store. So i found another slightly different color goni from a different vendor for $25 and its doing great. This also has happened to me about hammers to.
gonipora are just like that though. It’s the only corral I’ve had die for no reason or shrivel up.

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dumb conversation. I buy Zoas from a local hobbysist husband/wife team here in Central Florida who I found here on R2R. They have an amazing zoa collection and sell way below retail prices. Let’s see, a really nice frag of AOI Zoas for $20 ($99 retail), JF Vegas Strips 10 polyps for $35 ($150 retail for 4 polyps) and JF Poison Potion 6 polyps for $35 (retail 2 polyps for $200). Not even mentioning the free frags he tosses in each time I buy.

There are deals to be had all over. Stop complaining. Buy what you want, and pass on what you don’t.
I'm in Central Florida. I'm looking for people who sell corals in the area. Can I have their username?

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not managing a business you do not have overhead. You have personal expenses. Make a business if you want to charge retail prices.
I have a business, yet you assumed I do not.

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re missing the point. Of course someone will alway pay. My point is that as a community we should not price our sales similar to retail.
When buying and selling new equipment such as lighting, pumps, and wavemakers, you have to sell at retail price most of the time. It is called MAP pricing. Equipment manufacturers set the price of their products to avoid brand devaluing, and build fair trade amongst the retailers.

The market determines the value of coral prices. On the other side of the coin, lfs get very upset when a coral business (basement vendor) with no brick and mortar store comes in and undercuts them. It is a delicate balance to navigate all that as someone will always be upset.
I have a full time day job, and do not rely on my coral/retail business to pay my bills. I was responsible in starting it up, and am going slow with it. This allows me to charge far less than most businesses. However, not everyone is in that situation, and may actually rely on selling coral to pay their bills. Just a few points if view to share.

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full time day job, and do not rely on my coral/retail business to pay my bills. I was responsible in starting it up, and am going slow with it. This allows me to charge far less than most businesses. However, not everyone is in that situation, and may actually rely on selling coral to pay their bills. Just a few points if view to share.
So, if you’re calling it a ‘business’ … does your state require that you collect and pay taxes on sales and profits?

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Isn’t this with everything though? Look at the price at all different kinds of
Hobbies like sports cards and trading cards back when I was a kid I could go to Walmart and buy a box of football cards for $50. Now they are hundreds and now thousands of dollars. This is meant for all the people complaining about coral prices saying back in the day I could get a frogspawn and torches for $25! The hobby is evolving and with less and less lfs around my only source is to buy all my aquarium needs and
Livestock online. I understand your frustration but it’s not a bad thing you always have the choice to buy corals where you want. With prices and the cost of living now what’s wrong with people growing out corals and trying to make a little l. I’m not
Okay with charging top dollar but why hate on people trying to get a little back for their hard work and money spent on growing that coral

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if you’re calling it a ‘business’ … does your state require that you collect and pay taxes on sales and profits?
Yes. And I have a sales tax license to collect sales tax. I file state and federal taxes as well. It is not expensive to create a sole proprietorship business. It is often free or low cost, unless you setup a LLC, that can be a few hundred dollars.
I am also an authorized Hanna Instruments, Polyp Lab, and Coralvue dealer, but I only sell locally.

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure he does. That way he can write off equipment as business expenses.
Yes, but I do not. It doesn't exceed the standard deduction, so I don't write off any business expenses.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. And I have a sales tax license to collect sales tax. I file state and federal taxes as well. It is not expensive to create a sole proprietorship business. It is often free or low cost, unless you setup a LLC, that can be a few hundred dollars.
I am also an authorized Hanna Instruments, Polyp Lab, and Coralvue dealer, but I only sell locally.
I applaud you!… you are doing it right!
I do doubt that there are many more basement businesses that are doing it legally…

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you!… you are doing it right!
I do doubt that there are many more basement businesses that are doing it legally…
Thank you. Honestly, idk how many are or are not doing it legally. As they don't go around asking for licenses at swaps, etc. I just thought I'd offer my perspective on this.
I believe in making reefing more accessable, affordable, and easier. But it is tricky to navigate when people on both sides demand that you sell higher or lower.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a business, yet you assumed I do not.
If you don’t tell me how am I to know? You’re not the problem. I too have an LLC, and blah blah. I ended up not really using R2R for sales as they wanted the partner member fee and other fees if I remember correctly. Found my market on instagram and used a website as point of sale.

does anyone think it’s weird to see business posting in the sales forum?

Last edited:

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Honestly, idk how many are or are not doing it legally. As they don't go around asking for licenses at swaps, etc. I just thought I'd offer my perspective on this.
I believe in making reefing more accessable, affordable, and easier. But it is tricky to navigate when people on both sides demand that you sell higher or lower.
Are you saying other vendors pressure you to sell at a higher price so they can keep their prices inflated?

Reefer Matt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying other vendors pressure you to sell at a higher price so they can keep their prices inflated?
No, they will just buy the frags and sell them for higher. The ones that get mad at swap vendors are the LFS owners of brick and mortar stores. They feel they are getting undercut by someone who doesn't have as much "skin in the game" as them. Also, when selling dry goods, a lot of them must be sold at a specific price set by the manufacturer, or risk losing the account.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they will just buy the frags and sell them for higher. The ones that get mad at swap vendors are the LFS owners of brick and mortar stores. They feel they are getting undercut by someone who doesn't have as much "skin in the game" as them. Also, when selling dry goods, a lot of them must be sold at a specific price set by the manufacturer, or risk losing the account.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t tell me how am I to know? You’re not the problem. I too have an LLC, and blah blah. I ended up not really using R2R for sales as they wanted the partner member fee and other fees if I remember correctly. Found my market on instagram and used a website as point of sale.

does anyone think it’s weird to see business posting in the sales forum?
Agreed don't like it and the sales forums should be split. For that matter a lot of times you can't discuss anything without some business member/sponsor interjecting. But like everything it's about the money, member fee's and nothing is free. I mean someone has to pay for Rev's trip to Reefapalooza ;)

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pm me your website link?

Back