Sales forum has gotten out of hand

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are You willing to sell your torches for $20/head?
I'm a family man. I only have one head of a "named" torch right now lol. I'll never spend $170 on one head of coral. I don't care what the name is. Before my crash I gave heads of lps to newcomers. Never sold not one. The "cotton candy" torch I have, if and when it grows, I'll pass the favor along instead of trying to be the next WWC

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what I do. Aquaculture is my favorite part of the hobby. I really enjoy having an ever expanding, wide variety of corals. I've got a FS thread running in the classifieds on here right now and the proceeds will go right back into my tanks. Actually, some of the proceeds have already gone back into my tanks. I purchased a sweet millepora frag pack (got me one of them fancy rainbow splices, lol!) from another member on here this morning.

I'm not a wealthy man and there's no way my wife would sign off on the kind of money that I spend on my hobby if it didn't sustain itself, financially.
There is Absolutely nothing wrong with you turning your hobby, into a side hustle and selling your corals at a price the you, and a buyer both agree, is a good deal.

Some people here would rather you not. That's their prerogatives.

I say they just probably need to build a better network of reefer friends from which to trade and give corals to.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you're not responding to me, but I'd like to chime in.

Sure why not?

If the buyer covers shipping, why not sell a torch head for $20?

Or better yet, just let the colony grow out into something magnificent?

What is the largest torch coral you have ever seen in a home aquarium?
Exactly!!

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly we do not have a way to track that.
Bummer!
There is Absolutely nothing wrong with you turning your hobby, into a side hustle and selling your corals at a price the you, and a buyer both agree, is a good deal.

Some people here would rather you not. That's their prerogatives.

I say they just probably need to build a better network of reefer friends from which to trade and give corals to.
I'm not seeing any sales threads from your previous posts, but boy have you been busy!

Messages 17,413

I sell things as they come up, but never at or above market. Look at my previous sale posts.

What/Who are you defending?

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what I do. Aquaculture is my favorite part of the hobby. I really enjoy having an ever expanding, wide variety of corals. I've got a FS thread running in the classifieds on here right now and the proceeds will go right back into my tanks. Actually, some of the proceeds have already gone back into my tanks. I purchased a sweet millepora frag pack (got me one of them fancy rainbow splices, lol!) from another member on here this morning.

I'm not a wealthy man and there's no way my wife would sign off on the kind of money that I spend on my hobby if it didn't sustain itself, financially.
BTW, i recently bought from DIYreefer. Had some incredibly rare leathers for $65. Incredible. Never find them online. DIYreefer is the ideal hobbyist who trims and sells. Look at his jawbreaker prices.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, these are what I mean by exquist reefs with large colonies. Not too many species for the volume either.

Threw my old setup in there too, cause im a silly boy like that.

triton-giant-clam.jpg

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer!

I'm not seeing any sales threads from your previous posts, but boy have you been busy!

Messages 17,413
Weird what happens when you're welcome into a community.

I sell things as they come up, but never at or above market. Look at my previous sale posts.

What/Who are you defending?
I'm partaking in the conversation. As stated previously, I have no dog in the fight.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a buyer on the marketplace, some folks do price in line with retail vendors. I just hold out until I see sellers who are pricing corals that I want for what I feel is a reasonable price for reefer to reefer transactions. I do the same with frag swaps. Also became extra exclusive for what corals I am buying.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dumb conversation. I buy Zoas from a local hobbysist husband/wife team here in Central Florida who I found here on R2R. They have an amazing zoa collection and sell way below retail prices. Let’s see, a really nice frag of AOI Zoas for $20 ($99 retail), JF Vegas Strips 10 polyps for $35 ($150 retail for 4 polyps) and JF Poison Potion 6 polyps for $35 (retail 2 polyps for $200). Not even mentioning the free frags he tosses in each time I buy.

There are deals to be had all over. Stop complaining. Buy what you want, and pass on what you don’t.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reefing from 96 to 2006 got out because I was raising a family and didn't have time . got back into reefing in 2018 and I had sticker shock on the corals prices . in fact I was upset ! $50-100 for a regular mushroom omg! lol as I got back into reefing I realized that the animals we keep are rare specimens compared to dogs and cats . with the dying of coral reefs , bans coral exportation etc and of course time all these factors have increased pricing on the rare animals we keep. I have growing reef from time to time I sell corals on here because I need to cull my reef tank to make space etc. I feel if someones buying a coral from me then I price it correctly its all supply and demand the market will dictate what a coral sells for. for me to sell a coral it takes about year to grow out a coral to sell then I have to have a back up coral of the same in case the coral DOA in shipping . I do make profit sometimes I dont make anything on a sale. because if its DOA I have to refund or send another coral . that s me . I dont buy a coral and flip it for more which I dont see anything wrong with that either . I dont think you can stop people from lowering prices so retailers can lower their prices . Like mentioned before just make friends with local reefers or buy from local reefers like me ill hook up with decent prices and if ur not a dick a free frag lol

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very true! It’s price gouging. Especially those selling full tank setups or used aquariums sorry to say but you won’t ever be making any money back and it shouldn’t be listed for thousands of dollars! Even the biggest setups it’s ridiculous!
Price gouging is only applicable if the source is the only way available to get that product. Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase used aquariums for inflated prices because users can wait for price drops or another seller with a better price.

HOWEVER: People do try to sell stuff for ripoff prices, sure. Buyer just needs to beware.

I get the capitalism angle; I think I agree in the sense that anyone who can make a buck will attempt to here since they see others doing it. But someone selling stuff for 10% less might be the difference between someone having a coral and not having it. When more people can frag an expensive coral, that corals supply should go up and theoretically lower prices.
If goniopora and torches are so easy, why do people 4 generations removed from the importer charge full retail price equivalent to a business that has to account for CITES and permits/shipping? It's money. The mentality of "owning" coral strains is weird. Marketplace ideally should have a function to facilitate acquiring pieces that incentives hobbyist to hobby too? Maybe we are due for another price correction soon. Torches were down a bit and they're getting silly again. A corals perceived worth should dictate its price, but price doesnt always accurately reflect ease of care. I keep hearing Walt Disney* is a very hardy acro! So why is it so expensive still? Presumably it would be easier to grow and therefore frag? There is a market opportunity here for those who sell desirable strains for a discount. This is my opinion/2c.

*edit: Homewrecker is a better example, I've been told. :)

Last edited:

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing Walt Disney is a very hardy acro! So why is it so expensive still? Presumably it would be easier to grow and therefore frag?
Bad example. WD grows astoundingly slow compared to similar corals. Homewrecker would be a better talking point.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a dumb conversation. I buy Zoas from a local hobbysist husband/wife team here in Central Florida who I found here on R2R. They have an amazing zoa collection and sell way below retail prices. Let’s see, a really nice frag of AOI Zoas for $20 ($99 retail), JF Vegas Strips 10 polyps for $35 ($150 retail for 4 polyps) and JF Poison Potion 6 polyps for $35 (retail 2 polyps for $200). Not even mentioning the free frags he tosses in each time I buy.

There are deals to be had all over. Stop complaining. Buy what you want, and pass on what you don’t.
what is a reef hospitality award?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is a reef hospitality award?

Good point and we could all stand to be more hospitable to one another whether we disagree or not.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price gouging is only applicable if the source is the only way available to get that product. Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase used aquariums for inflated prices because users can wait for price drops or another seller with a better price.

HOWEVER: People do try to sell stuff for ripoff prices, sure. Buyer just needs to beware.

I get the capitalism angle; I think I agree in the sense that anyone who can make a buck will attempt to here since they see others doing it. But someone selling stuff for 10% less might be the difference between someone having a coral and not having it. When more people can frag an expensive coral, that corals supply should go up and theoretically lower prices.
If goniopora and torches are so easy, why do people 4 generations removed from the importer charge full retail price equivalent to a business that has to account for CITES and permits/shipping? It's money. The mentality of "owning" coral strains is weird. Marketplace ideally should have a function to facilitate acquiring pieces that incentives hobbyist to hobby too? Maybe we are due for another price correction soon. Torches were down a bit and they're getting silly again. A corals perceived worth should dictate its price, but price doesnt always accurately reflect ease of care. I keep hearing Walt Disney is a very hardy acro! So why is it so expensive still? Presumably it would be easier to grow and therefore frag? There is a market opportunity here for those who sell desirable strains for a discount. This is my opinion/2c.

You take that LED morphed "WD" acros and put them under 6500K light, they all end up lookin the same haha!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Independent sellers with zero overhead, possibly no company structure (LLC formation, etc) and no storefront (digital or otherwise) are charging at or above market for livestock.

I hope everyone understands that the heart of this hobby are in person frag swaps and below market peer to peer sales in a digital setting. LFS visits and online retailer shopping is also fun, BUT not what makes the community.

All of you are ruining the market. Importers and retailers will up their prices to follow this trend.

Pleased post examples of in-stock products selling above retail on the boards.

I find majority of like-products selling for 1/2 to 1/4 retail.

Please also post requisite message to retails charging $1k - $2k for named rare coral fragments. It's retailer prices that drive the demand for the selling forum - not the other way around.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleased post examples of in-stock products selling above retail on the boards.

I find majority of like-products selling for 1/2 to 1/4 retail.

Please also post requisite message to retails charging $1k - $2k for named rare coral fragments. It's retailer prices that drive the demand for the selling forum - not the other way around.
You guys think that's appropriate? I'm not sure.

I do understand that retailers set the price point, but my argument is against us following that same pricing in the forum when selling directly to each other.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do see what you are saying, and there are always flippers and folks taking advantage of someones good will, but this is how the world of retail, retail in anything is.

I for one love the sales forum, you cant find a better place to buy dry goods and hardware at affordable prices thats for sure. And ive personally bought several corals and shipped for reasonable prices. I agree with the above statement that the big boys are whats driving up person to person sales. Not vise versa.

An interesting thought you began with none the less, with several folks on both sides. At the end of the day it is a novel idea that just isnt going to be as prevalent anymore.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back