Sales forum has gotten out of hand

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every seller has overhead. They pay for housing, electricity, natural gas, equipment, water, salt, lights, and the coral. Not to mention spending their time propagating the coral. The market decides what people pay. I personally aim for 50% or less of retail prices, and do not sell online. I have also given away over 1k in coral to reefers. However, I support the free market. If people don't like prices, they can shop somewhere else.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cost of airfreight has doubled a couple years ago. First it was lack of flights from Indo, then it was gas prices. I use to be under 50 to get a box shipped from LAX, now its 100 for the same 40# box. Add on the cost from indo to LAX - you end up with $80 heads of hammer/frogspawn instead of $10/20.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given away frags, torches, frogspawn, bird nest , zoas and have sold very cheap but always with the stipulation that if something happens to my coral I can get a frag back at no cost or at the cost I sold it.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take a look @ Rock Flower Anemones. 2 years ago they were selling $15-$20 a piece.
Take a look now, make sure you are in a chair!
I don’t think I’ve seen them that cheap in ages unless it was someone breaking down a tank, but I can find them for $35-$45 pretty reliably as long as they haven’t been given a silly name.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH the NAME GAME!
THAT AUTOMATICALLY ADDS $$$
Think I can get $500 for my Universal Astroterrestrial Wonderstool?
A52CCB57-78FC-449C-8C39-32DDE131E6D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hate pricing things. I know what I would pay for something, but I don't like trying to figure out what I would charge someone else. So I usually offer items in trade.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as thinking about other people's prices, I feel like coral prices are all over the place, so I don't usually hate on what someone else charges. I just don't buy it if whatever it is isn't worth that much to me. :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate pricing things. I know what I would pay for something, but I don't like trying to figure out what I would charge someone else. So I usually offer items in trade.
I hate it more when I’m trying to buy something.. they always say make a REASONABLE offer… I make one and they get offended… hahahaha if there’s no price I don’t even ask any more..

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t like it don’t buy it… it’s really that simple! Crying will never change the price of anything.. not purchasing said items will…..;)
In the end, that is it. If the price is ridiculous I’ll just roll my eyes and move on. If I can’t justify the price of a hot new coral I’ll consider it again when everyone else have proven it will thrive in captivity long term and there are multiple sellers to choose from.

I think some markup in the classifieds is fair though. There are still PayPal fees and the risk of refunding DOAs when dealing with shipping that you wouldn’t have to deal with when selling locally.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the hobby in 2006-2011 and reentering in 2021 i believe the LED lighting spectrum along with Instagram and social media really worked together to destroy the joy and goal of building big coral colony type tanks. That's fine in some respects because it seems to have grown the base and made for more innovative gear.

The flip side is the name game is just reaching the point of ridiculousness. Look folks if you can stand back if you can't identify one colony from the next at a foot or two away it's the same coral. The idea of near identical if not identical corala being named 6 different things by 6 different vendors is just silly. Color spectrum manipulation has reached peak insanity.

I simply just don't play the game. I buy 99.9% from local club at cheap prices based on the overall color and species. Generally stick to the old classics. Green acros and red acros are still green and red whether it's a joes rainbow or wwc zomgbbqwtf nuclear fall out zombie rainbow unicorn acro.

Don't get me started on RBTA strains. I bet a lot of money you could take 75% of the named strains put them in a tank and a week later you'd have no idea which was which. To charge hundreds for one is shameful but if a fool is willing to pay who am I to fault the seller. They grow like a plague at least Acros take time to grow and frag.

I still laugh at AOI zoa prices. I remember seeing blue zoas like that out of the cheap Florida vendors decade back for dirt cheap. Along comes lights to give them the right pop and boom $100pp.

Tldr, sell for whatever the heck you want to sell for, buy for what you are willing to spend.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to hobbies just being fun? Everything now has to make you money. The first thing I got asked when I told a friend I was getting into the hobby was how can you make money off of it? I hate that mentality. Don't get me wrong, I've got side gigs but I'm not in the hobby to make money. To that end, I try to give everyone that I deal with a good deal and try to get one for myself. Most of the time people get really good deals from me because once I decide I'm selling something I want it gone.

I loathe resellers. They are a cancer in this world.
Absolute truth. I'm a business owner and therefore absolutely a capitalist but everything is so out of control right now.

I tend to just about give away all my stuff as it grows. I had one guy give me more than I was asking. The real fast stuff like monti cap and forest fire digi I tend to list for free and use that to sell a few frags for $10-$20 of other stuff.

The chop shops finding new names for indo grown acro have always been around but the easy money of this economy has allowed the pricing to get nutty.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back