Sales forum has gotten out of hand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It amazes me how many "businesses" out there post they are starting a business, get a facebook business page, put up a website to sell with no tax EIN number, no state license, no tax collection license, NOTHING.
What people don't seem to understand - is that though it seems easy to just collect cash, etc. the new rules with PayPal and Venmo - as well as the proposed legislation that allows any transaction over $600 to be questioned after the IRS looks at your bank statement. We had a litter of puppies a couple years ago - quite expensive show-quality puppies - I called the state and asked - because it was thousands of dollars - she said - you're required to ask for sales tax for 'in-state' residents. Out of state residents are required to report the purchase and pay use tax. Now - If it's a 30$ item all good - but with some of these corals going for $$$$$$ - if I was selling them - I would certainly be keeping records. And again - this goes for trading as well. You have to report the income you received from the barter - then you can subtract out your expenses. Example. I have a 1000 Walt Disney Coral - I agree to trade for a 1000 xxx coral. You have to report the 1000$ as barter income. There are expenses you can subtract - but - they (the govt wants their cut as well). If you do this once every 6 months - well - still should be reported - but no one will know - if you're doing multiple PayPal transactions/month - its likely to be an issue (NOTE - non-accountant opinion)

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What people don't seem to understand - is that though it seems easy to just collect cash, etc. the new rules with PayPal and Venmo - as well as the proposed legislation that allows any transaction over $600 to be questioned after the IRS looks at your bank statement. We had a litter of puppies a couple years ago - quite expensive show-quality puppies - I called the state and asked - because it was thousands of dollars - she said - you're required to ask for sales tax for 'in-state' residents. Out of state residents are required to report the purchase and pay use tax. Now - If it's a 30$ item all good - but with some of these corals going for $$$$$$ - if I was selling them - I would certainly be keeping records. And again - this goes for trading as well. You have to report the income you received from the barter - then you can subtract out your expenses. Example. I have a 1000 Walt Disney Coral - I agree to trade for a 1000 xxx coral. You have to report the 1000$ as barter income. There are expenses you can subtract - but - they (the govt wants their cut as well). If you do this once every 6 months - well - still should be reported - but no one will know - if you're doing multiple PayPal transactions/month - its likely to be an issue (NOTE - non-accountant opinion)
I'm also interested in the bartering rule.
Lets say I buy a car (black), a friend buys the same car (red). we both pay taxes on them.
If i want to trade with him because I prefer red, we both still need to pay taxes again?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm also interested in the bartering rule.
Lets say I buy a car (black), a friend buys the same car (red). we both pay taxes on them.
If i want to trade with him because I prefer red, we both still need to pay taxes again?
Again I'm not an accountant - the income each of your receive need to be reported to the IRS - and taxes paid - minus whatever expenses you might have. Again - Not an accountant. In other words - the government wants to get their piece according to what I've read

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Again I'm not an accountant - the income each of your receive need to be reported to the IRS - and taxes paid - minus whatever expenses you might have. Again - Not an accountant. In other words - the government wants to get their piece according to what I've read
Because I know that you can "sell" to another business and not collect sales tax because you are putting the burden of tax collection on them of they have a sales tax license (MD).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because I know that you can "sell" to another business and not collect sales tax because you are putting the burden of tax collection on them of they have a sales tax license (MD).

Perhaps true - However - IMHO - again - non- accountant - they are required to collect sales tax from either you - or pay it themselves

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. - I'm having a discussion - You don't have to go searching through the forums looking for my 'sales' - I already posted that I haven't sold anything on the forums. I have sold plenty of things on Ebay though - equipment - and I always start my listings at a Dollar - and at the end often get higher prices than those with a buy-it now price.

I'm not sure why you seem to have made the 'rule' or 'comment' on multiple peoples responses as to 'you have no sales'. Why do you care vis a vis the original post?
It doesn’t make any sense to me to defend high prices if you’re not benefiting. Again, who/what are you defending?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn’t make any sense to me to defend high prices if you’re not benefiting. Again, who/what are you defending?
And it doesn't make sense to me that you are criticizing a free market system. SO - I guess I'm defending R2R for having the forum set up the way they do. I guess I'm defending the people that are selling things for profit - and I guess I'm defending the people that are nipping frags off of corals they would throw away and selling them for less then market price. I guess I'm defending 'the way it is'. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything for a price they do not want to pay. The idea that some kind of 'movement' to get people to lower their online prices will do anything is faulty - so - it's not me defending anything per se - its criticizing your logic. Best wishes

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it doesn't make sense to me that you are criticizing a free market system. SO - I guess I'm defending R2R for having the forum set up the way they do. I guess I'm defending the people that are selling things for profit - and I guess I'm defending the people that are nipping frags off of corals they would throw away and selling them for less then market price. I guess I'm defending 'the way it is'. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything for a price they do not want to pay. The idea that some kind of 'movement' to get people to lower their online prices will do anything is faulty - so - it's not me defending anything per se - its criticizing your logic. Best wishes
Please re-read the topic from my first post.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but just reading everything, I said my piece on my initial thoughts earlier, but I think the real issue is R2R rules and the appearance of the lack of enforcement of rules. I get people may be “breaking even” to cover their own additional costs but I think the real issue is there are sellers, who have regular sales threads, that appear to be selling for commercial purposes who are not sponsors. I get coral can grow fast in a mature system so the occasional or monthly pruning sales are a necessity and feel free to charge what you like, close to retail I likely just won’t buy it.

At the same time, just a hypothetical example, when you post 20-30+ pieces of torch or acanthos or Gonis or other coral, each week or month, that just screams commercial.

I know torch corals generally do not grow excessively fast, but can grow fastish but not where you have an extra 20-30+ pieces a month.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Independent sellers with zero overhead, possibly no company structure (LLC formation, etc) and no storefront (digital or otherwise) are charging at or above market for livestock.
Disagree - you have no definition of what an 'independent seller is'. You say 'possibly' no structure, etc.

Disagree - you say 'are charging at or above market' - in reality - what you mean is 'charging more than you want to pay'. In reality - they are 'making the market'.
I hope everyone understands that the heart of this hobby are in person frag swaps and below market peer to peer sales in a digital setting. LFS visits and online retailer shopping is also fun, BUT not what makes the community.
The heart of the hobby IMHO is the love of fish/coral keeping - and has nothing to do with 'below market peer to peer sales'. It's Only your definition of 'community' - not the definition that most people in the community subscribe to. For example - I have never been to a 'frag swap', I have never bought coral, fish online - yet am part of the community.
All of you are ruining the market. Importers and retailers will up their prices to follow this trend.
This is just an opinion - and you seem to be dead set on dressing down anyone that disagrees with your opinion. No one is 'ruining the market'.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as I'm reading, it seems we have a split down the middle for advocates of a free market system vs advocates of a managment/gov't-regulated market system, for frags in the sales forum

is that a fair assessmnt

I don't think those debates ever end or reach agreement between the parties>

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may be wrong, but just reading everything, I said my piece on my initial thoughts earlier, but I think the real issue is R2R rules and the appearance of the lack of enforcement of rules. I get people may be “breaking even” to cover their own additional costs but I think the real issue is there are sellers, who have regular sales threads, that appear to be selling for commercial purposes who are not sponsors. I get coral can grow fast in a mature system so the occasional or monthly pruning sales are a necessity and feel free to charge what you like, close to retail I likely just won’t buy it.

At the same time, just a hypothetical example, when you post 20-30+ pieces of torch or acanthos or Gonis or other coral, each week or month, that just screams commercial.

I know torch corals generally do not grow excessively fast, but can grow fastish but not where you have an extra 20-30+ pieces a month.
Curious - 1) is there a rule that this is 'disallowed'. 2) who is being forced to buy these items?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as I'm reading, it seems we have a split down the middle for advocates of a free market system vs advocates of a managment/gov't-regulated market system, for frags in the sales forum

is that a fair assessmnt

No - since the second scenario is impossible to achieve. Who will be the government regulated market? How will they regulate it? And Lots of people are complaining about people selling used tanks, etc - for just a little less than retail.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - 1) is there a rule that this is 'disallowed'. 2) who is being forced to buy these items?
There is a rule that commercial posting is not allowed

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/selling-trading-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.115471/ - 5th bullet point

I agree no one is being forced, and I don’t like to see the retail prices in hobbyist sales I just don’t buy them. I also just think it’d be nice to see hobbyists helping hobbyists in the sense of lower prices but I also understand that’s not the point anymore

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a rule that commercial posting is not allowed

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/selling-trading-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting.115471/ - 5th bullet point

I agree no one is being forced, and I don’t like to see the retail prices in hobbyist sales I just don’t buy them. I also just think it’d be nice to see hobbyists helping hobbyists in the sense of lower prices but I also understand that’s not the point anymore
Fantastic - then the issue here - is that apparently some people thing the rule isn't being enforced? Otherwise - I don't see anything that prevents person XXX who is on a new forum (as proposed earlier) from doing the same thing they are now (if they are doing it lol). Seems the only solution is a free Frag forum and a Frag forum for cost .

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic - then the issue here - is that apparently some people thing the rule isn't being enforced? Otherwise - I don't see anything that prevents person XXX who is on a new forum (as proposed earlier) from doing the same thing they are now (if they are doing it lol). Seems the only solution is a free Frag forum and a Frag forum for cost .
This and a commercial sales forum. Stores/Retailers should not post or reply to WTB in the sales forum.

OP
OP
Asagi

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

is that a fair assessmnt

no no, this has little to do with regulation more about perception. I hate regulation. this is a hobby, not a business. The free market is real, but if you want to charge retail prices you need to make a company and post in a commercial sales forum.

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Independent sellers with zero overhead, possibly no company structure (LLC formation, etc) and no storefront (digital or otherwise) are charging at or above market for livestock.

I hope everyone understands that the heart of this hobby are in person frag swaps and below market peer to peer sales in a digital setting. LFS visits and online retailer shopping is also fun, BUT not what makes the community.

All of you are ruining the market. Importers and retailers will up their prices to follow this trend.
wow the tears are real with this one

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back