Salifert calcium test

Mark75g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So am using the salifert calcium test kit. I am adding 2ml of water and then one scoop of the bottle one. Then I am putting 6 ml of the 2nd solution the water turns purple and does not turn pink at all. Does that mean too much calcium in water or not enough to test for. Tried sample from my large tank and same thing happened. Or could the test kit be bad

Top Shelf Aquatics

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
For my Salifert test directions differ:

2ml tank water
1 scoop ca-1
10 drops Ca-2

(should be pink)

then 1ml of and ca-3 reagent in a syringe and one drop at a time until you see pink turn to blue- then your reading is based on what’s remaining in the syringe.

Hope that helps
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

BostonReefer300

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So am using the salifert calcium test kit. I am adding 2ml of water and then one scoop of the bottle one. Then I am putting 6 ml of the 2nd solution the water turns purple and does not turn pink at all. Does that mean too much calcium in water or not enough to test for. Tried sample from my large tank and same thing happened. Or could the test kit be bad
I haven't done that test in a while, but that is not the procedure I remember. What I remember is that you add a scoop of the first reagent, then several drops of the second, then you titrate the 3rd.

AS

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Correct the new is different than the old ones. I can’t figure if the color not turning pink means no trace of calcium or too much calcium
Im sorry, I didn’t realize it’s been changed lol. I’m not sure in the new ones.

but now curious-

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've not used the Salifert kit in a decade, but assuming you are testing seawater, there's never inadequate or excessive calcium for the initial color change.

I'd try adding the titrant and see what that does. Maybe purple is really "pink" and it is much more blue at the endpoint.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am having same issue. Putting .6 ml of solution stays blue. Does not turn pink until the .25 mark, then turns blue again later on. I don't know what the purpose of going to the .6 ml right of the bat, unless it is just to bypass values at 300 or lower. My issue is that if definitely does not torn at the .6 mark. My cal is high, 460 - 500, but that is where it always has been. thoughts?

Ilya_Tihomirov

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The new test from Salifert is a complete mess, I have overestimated the test solution from TM by 50 units. Salifert does not admit mistakes, says that when the titrant evaporates, its concentration may increase and its indicators may change

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 196 40.9%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.7%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 211 44.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.1%
Geo's Reef