Salifert copper test inaccuracy?

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I've dosed my QT up to 0.5 Cupramine (tested with Salifert)

To be thorough I mixed up a separate batch of saltwater and Cupramine based on their instructions...

2ml per 40 litres = 0.5mg
2 ÷ 40 = 0.05ml per 1 litre

------------------

I mixed up 5 litres of saltwater and added 0.25ml of Cupramine - 5 x 0.05 = 0.25ml

The first test vial pictured is water taken from my QT which I've dosed up to 0.5 using the salifert test.

The second test vial pictured is water mixed using the Cupramine instructions on the bottle.

Which is correct??

72b16c462cea1ee5c716ed91fdf26214.0.jpeg

I really need to get this QT right this time around. Just had to pull all my fish from the DT as ich/velvet found its way through my previous QT procedure.

I haven't lost any fish so far thankfully!

73c1ae644f73fdc3edcd7bd59a5ee57f.0.jpeg

I wonder whether following the salifert test measuring at 0.5mg may have caused something to slip through, as the copper dosage might not have been strong enough?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any calcareous rocks or sand in your QT? Do you have an actual volume of the QT, or did you dose it based on a calculation?

Jay

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any calcareous rocks or sand in your QT? Do you have an actual volume of the QT, or did you dose it based on a calculation?

Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay.

I have cycled alfagrog from the DT and have given it a boost with Doctor Tim's as I have a my entire stock in there so figured I needed an active bio filter, hence the alfagrog.

The tank is 60 litres so minus the rock, pipes and a little tub of sand for my wrasse, I calculated there's around 45 litres of water in there.

I've dosed 2.5ml of Cupramine so far, using the salifert test to elevate levels up to 0.5mg. I didn't dose it based on the instructions on the bottle, although the maths does seem to work out....

2ml per 40l = 0.5mg

So my QT @ 2.5ml with 45l (including porous rock and sand) I'll be checking copper levels twice daily to allow for that.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I’m not familiar with alfagrog, is it calcareus?

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probably doesn't answer your question, but I dose according to instructions and test with a Hanna high range checker. It comes out pretty much on target every time.

I'm already thinking Hanna is the way to go. It's just bloody expensive, if I'm honest with myself I probably already know this is the only way to be sure.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, I was thinking live rock absorbed the copper.

Yes I thought that also. I usually wouldn't QT with rock but on this occasion with so many fish, I needed places for bacteria to colonize and hiding places, and after some research it seems a bit of rock may not be as detrimental to copper levels as I once believed.

I'll be doing daily tests to be sure though.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I've taken the plunge and shelled out for the Hanna Checker! It's the only way to be sure. You don't want to be messing and being unsure when dosing copper do you!

I'll update this post with the Hanna Checker results of the darker blue test vial water mixture. Should be interesting.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up on my recent post regarding the accuracy of the Salifert Copper Test (using Cupramine), I said I would follow up with comparison test results once my Hanna Copper HR came through the post.

Here are the results. I was surprised the Salifert test appears really accurate. I had doubts after reading others opinions.

IMG_20210118_125652.jpg

IMG_20210118_123215.jpg

Both images are from the same test water.

Still it's nice to have the piece of mind with the Hanna, even though I had to sell a limb to afford it!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna copper is one of the two necessary Hanna instruments ( the other being PO4).

I will also recommend to drop cupramine and use copper power, much larger margin for error.

OP
OP
tim132

tim132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna copper is one of the two necessary Hanna instruments ( the other being PO4).

I will also recommend to drop cupramine and use copper power, much larger margin for error.
This is my first Hanna and I'm really impressed with the quality of it and I love the box it's presented in. Excellent piece of kit for sure.

I'll probably have to run with the Cupramine seeming as I'm into the 4th day of treatment now but I'll definitely look into chelated copper in the future.

Thanks!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back