Salifert Flatworm eXit - My experience

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't watch the video but big believer in this product. I've used it several times over the last 10+ years. The one issue I have is that it often needs to be overdosed. Without adding anything I somehow got flatworms to come back despite 2 treatments. A week or so ago I dosed at about 3.5x the recommended dosage and not a single flatworm has come back. If I see even a single one I'll do another 3x dosage.

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't watch the video but big believer in this product. I've used it several times over the last 10+ years. The one issue I have is that it often needs to be overdosed. Without adding anything I somehow got flatworms to come back despite 2 treatments. A week or so ago I dosed at about 3.5x the recommended dosage and not a single flatworm has come back. If I see even a single one I'll do another 3x dosage.

Well, that funny you didn't watch because everything you said is a little similar but... at the opposite maybe? lol
It didn't work on the first treatment. I triple dose, flatworm just doing their stuff, didn't care... some die immediately.
So at the end it didn't really work for me, unfortunately. But my Springer Demoiselle did! Just wish I had the same one. The one I have right now is bully and lazy :(

I havent used the product but feel like you did a great job on the video!
Thank you, I feared I was really boring in my video, wasn't sure to do it, so glad to hear!
I notice over time I accumulated footage, was really useful for this video!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the latest BRS video they mentioned that using flat worm exit actually thickened the skeleton of SPS coral and made them thicker and more resilient to flat worms. I would be interested in seeing some proof/thoughts on that.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same experience where regular dodage don’t work...
I even had 3x strength not work as I feel that I made the flatworms used to the stuff.
In the end I used about 10-12x strength along with using it as a dip at about 15x strength in combo with using a QT tank.

I find it far more useful as a dip than an actual in tank treatment.

I also noticed that at the higher dosages my starfish really got effected, I believe they are very sensitive to the flatworms toxin, one starfish almost died.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the latest BRS video they mentioned that using flat worm exit actually thickened the skeleton of SPS coral and made them thicker and more resilient to flat worms. I would be interested in seeing some proof/thoughts on that.

That was flatworm stop.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same experience where regular dodage don’t work...
I even had 3x strength not work as I feel that I made the flatworms used to the stuff.
In the end I used about 10-12x strength along with using it as a dip at about 15x strength in combo with using a QT tank.

I find it far more useful as a dip than an actual in tank treatment.

I also noticed that at the higher dosages my starfish really got effected, I believe they are very sensitive to the flatworms toxin, one starfish almost died.

It works but as you said it seems to take a lot more. Part of the problem is many people under estimate how many flatworms they have so salifert are likely reluctant to recommend a proper dosage since the flatworm toxin (not the flatworm exit) will have negative effects on your tank.

That or they are just getting way stronger. Back in the old days when wild shipments were coming in almost weekly probably once a month a store got flatworms. Everyone got them in their tanks, but most eliminated them very easily.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it works but doesn’t do anything on eggs. So if you have a lot of flatworms you’ll be doing the procedure a lot. Almost to the point of not winning. Honestly tho, you’ll need help like a yellow coris wrasse or something similar to help.

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers, I wanted to share my experience with a product to remove Flatworm in your tank. I documented a little bit of the reaction on different corals also. If there anyone who uses this product before let me know if it worked for you.

After adding melanarus and red corris wrasse I did not see any flat worms

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Very informative. I presume your mushrooms all recovered, correct?
Yeah the mushroom was fine a day or so after, not mush to worry (Badum-tsss)
I wanted to give the fish back to LFS and switch for another Springer but they didn't want to exchange (I can understand why...). Wish I had a similar Damsel like last time, he was so effective and small, yet not aggressive.

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a general question.

I used FWE yesterday and got rid of a ton of flatworms. Added high quality carbon, did a big water change and plan on doing another one shortly, but after treatment and overnight up until now, there's a pretty strong smell from the tank water.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm running my skimmer more wet to get rid of any excess toxins and am hoping this next water change gets rid of the stank!

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally haven't struggled with odor but keep doing what you are doing, I think it will just take time before it goes back to normal.

Check may be also the Ammonia and Nitrate just in case?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a general question.

I used FWE yesterday and got rid of a ton of flatworms. Added high quality carbon, did a big water change and plan on doing another one shortly, but after treatment and overnight up until now, there's a pretty strong smell from the tank water.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm running my skimmer more wet to get rid of any excess toxins and am hoping this next water change gets rid of the stank!

Run more carbon. When I hit my QT tanks with FWE, I run a ton of carbon after wards. If you had a ton of flat worms, like tons, the stench is probably coming from them.

To other hobbyists who plan to use FWE

Hobbyist come in to contact with various species of flatworms but we generalize them under "flat worms" to simplify it. Some species may be indeed resilient to the treatment.

My recommendation is to pull some of the flatworms, the more the better, out of your system and test the effective dosage concentration. Once you get the correct dosage, you'll be far more successful in handling the flat worm infestation versus blinding dosing.

Andres Ricardo perez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I entered a coral two months ago to my system and I have red flat worms, in fact I have very few I estimate that I have about 500 in my 600 gallon system, would it be necessary to change the water and put all that carbon?

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I entered a coral two months ago to my system and I have red flat worms, in fact I have very few I estimate that I have about 500 in my 600 gallon system, would it be necessary to change the water and put all that carbon?
I would go with the recommendation, the question is how "few" you think you have. But yeah changing the carbon after yeah, put your chance on your side ;)

Andres Ricardo perez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the recommendation, the question is how "few" you think you have. But yeah changing the carbon after yeah, put your chance on your side ;)
I know that I have few because I put a contaminated fragment recently and they are located where I pasted it

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I have few because I put a contaminated fragment recently and they are located where I pasted it
Hehe that is what you think, I just notice yesterday my frag got contaminated also, but I never saw any flatworm. I took out one frag and dipped it and notice 2 flatworm, sneak ******* :p

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back